Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9341 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:37 am

I think we get to freezing tonight. ABC just had 28 for Sugar Land.

I was at a bar when the front came through and wow temps dropped fast. Some friends there had just come from Dallas as well and showed me pics of how terrible the roads were. Everything was covered in white and the middle of the highway had a large buildup of snow so you could switch lanes comfortably. Crazy weather day.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#9342 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:45 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:I think we get to freezing tonight. ABC just had 28 for Sugar Land.

I was at a bar when the front came through and wow temps dropped fast. Some friends there had just come from Dallas as well and showed me pics of how terrible the roads were. Everything was covered in white and the middle of the highway had a large buildup of snow so you could switch lanes comfortably. Crazy weather day.

Crazy weather day for sure. It was 75 when the front came through my area and 2 hours later we were in the 30's and is it now 30.6f and still falling at my house. :cold:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#9343 Postby ravyrn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:25 am

34F @ IAH. HeatMiser's getting awfully close to waving the white flag :D
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#9344 Postby SouthernMet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:40 am

rap has our precip breaking out at 18 hours to the southwest from el paso-san antonio, light but widespread. something to watch, to see if holds together as it tracks ne across the state.
0 likes   
Nothing that SouthernMet posts, is an official forecast,nor does it reflect views of STORM2K.. SouthernMet is just adding to the great discussions on STORM2K.. Refer to NWS for official forecasts.

TrekkerCC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9345 Postby TrekkerCC » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:12 am

Anyone getting snow flurries out there? I know that it is late and people might not be looking outside, but FWD radar is showing some possible very light precipitation, and Oklahoma City is reporting light snow. FWD in an aviation update has also suggested the possibility of some very light snow occurring overnight. If you are still awake, it might be worth stepping outside, especially Downtown Dallas and westward.

Ft Worth NWS Office - 11:54pm Aviation Update wrote:
ONLY A FEW VERY LIGHT SNOW FLURRIES /P6SM -SN/ EXPECTED
OVERNIGHT.
MVFR CEILINGS WILL PREVAIL PAST 12Z...WITH VFR
CONDITIONS RETURNING BEFORE MIDDAY /16-18Z/. ANOTHER UPPER LEVEL
SYSTEM THAT IS CURRENTLY OVER WESTERN ARIZONA AT 05Z...WILL MOVE
EAST TRAVERSING ACROSS CENTRAL TEXAS MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY
MORNING. THE PRECIPITATION WITH THIS SYSTEM WILL BE SOUTH OF THE
METROPLEX TAF SITES. HAVE PLACED OF 5SM -FZRA IN THE WACO TAF
STARTING AT 10 PM MONDAY /04Z TUESDAY/. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS
WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY ACROSS CENTRAL
TEXAS. NORTH WINDS OF 15 TO 25 KNOTS WILL PREVAIL OVERNIGHT AND
SPEEDS WILL GRADUALLY DECREASE DURING THE DAY MONDAY.
0 likes   
Storm2K Forecast Disclaimer:

This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Parker_County1
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9346 Postby Parker_County1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:11 am

We have had snow flurries continuously since sundown here in Weatherford, and it is still doing it, but no accumulating sleet or snow since around 3 p.m. I will be up all night; I will let you know if anything changes.
0 likes   

ludosc
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9347 Postby ludosc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:00 am

I'd like to see exactly how that's supposed to happen
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9348 Postby ravyrn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 am

HeatMiser concession speech is a go!!!!!!!
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9349 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 am

Water vapor imagery and the SPC as well as the WPC Winter Weather Outlook updated early this morning show a potent Southern stream short wave with elevated storm chances with sub freezing surface temperature in place across Central and SE Texas suggesting freezing rain and sleet during the early morning hours of Tuesday may meet Winter Storm Warning/Winter Weather Advisory criteria across the Hill Country including the Austin Metro Area and extending E into the Houston Metro Area.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9350 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:48 am

Quick morning update. Just got to work and the roads are ok with slick spots on bridges. The wind and wind chill are brutal. Wow. Some very small flakes are falling but nothing to get excited about. Car thermometer read 15 degrees. Amazing considering thick clouds and wind are persistent. Incredible airmass for March. And what do I hear about another possible round next weekend? Goodness. Ntwx, my camping trip could be cold. Should be fun. If it is to cold I might have to cancel considering my young daughter will be with us. We shall see. Enjoy the wind chills folks. I love it!!! And last but not least, IAH. Just wonderful to see that graphic, ravyrn. I am giggling like a schoolgirl!! We have won big time, fellow cold-mongerers. Central Texas could even see some winter fun tonight. Unreal.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9351 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 am

NWS San Antonio/Austin issues Winter Storm Warning for locations from Burnett to Austin to La Grange for freezing rain and thundersleet and a Winter Weather Advisory SW to San Antonio along I-10. HGX will likely issue a Winter Weather Advisory later this morning with the potential for upgrading to a Winter Storm Warning including Harris County as those same conditions may be possible across SE Texas early tomorrow morning. The main concern is the elevated storms being suggested by the overnight guidance and increased precip rates if sub freezing temps are indeed met in Metro Houston. FWD issues Winter Weather Advisory for their Southern Zones including Waco, Temple and Hearne Stay Tuned for updates later this morning.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Wx Infinity Forums

Twitter @WeatherInfinity

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#9352 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:15 am

This is the strongest wording I have seen in a long while!

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 8 PM this evening to noon
CST Tuesday...

The National Weather Service in Austin/San Antonio has issued a
Winter Storm Warning for freezing rain and sleet... which is in effect
from 8 PM this evening to noon CST Tuesday.

* Timing... from 8 PM this evening until noon Tuesday.

* Main impact... freezing rain and sleet... potentially accumulating
to 1/10 inch. Roadways may become hazardous... especially
elevated roads such as bridges and overpasses.

* Other impacts... sensitive plants should be covered and people
and pets should be indoors to prevent hypothermia. Thundersleet or
thunder with freezing rain is also possible.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Warning means accumulations of snow... sleet...
freezing rain or freezing drizzle are expected or occurring. This
will cause considerable travel problems and may pose a threat to
life and property.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#9353 Postby KatDaddy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 am

A very cold morning across SE TX with temps in the upper 20s and low 30s. A strong disturbance will bring a Winter precip threat from Houston and areas to the N and W. The temps will play a critical role for Houston metro. Winter Weather Advisories will likely be issued for portions of SE TX this afternoon. Winter Weather Advisories and Winter Storm Warnings have already been issued for Central and S Central TX including the San Antonio and Austin areas.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9354 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 am

The Portastorm Weather Center has cancelled all leave scheduled for employees and is now in full Storm Mode.

EWX, you had me at "thundersleet" in your morning AFD. :cheesy:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9355 Postby Ralph's Weather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:26 am

SHV has winter precip this morning and for the next two mornings for Lindale. Also now they have given in to that we will likely not make it to freezing and with the amount of ice we got it likely won't be able to sublimate fully even with some sun then mid 20s tomorrow morning along with more ice falling will keep things messy for a while.
Last edited by Ralph's Weather on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

texas1836
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9356 Postby texas1836 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 am

14 degrees at the DWC in McKinney.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9357 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:04 am

I must say, I'm really starting to love cold winter weather. This morning's sub-freezing temperatures across Houston made me realize that cold weather is good, heat is bad. I only wish I could experience many more sub-freezing days in Houston before spring arrives. In addition, daytime highs in the low to mid 40s are far more enjoyable than highs above 80 degrees.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9358 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:06 am

wxman57 wrote:I must say, I'm really starting to love cold winter weather. This morning's sub-freezing temperatures across Houston made me realize that cold weather is good, heat is bad. I only wish I could experience many more sub-freezing days in Houston before spring arrives. In addition, daytime highs in the low to mid 40s are far more enjoyable than highs above 80 degrees.

There it is, folks. Save this post for history's sake. :lol:

Wxman57, not only are you an excellent meteorologist but you're a very honorable man, a man of integrity. I tip my frozen ballcap in your honor.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9359 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:07 am

:uarrow: We welcome you with open arms on our side :cheesy:.

DFW is going to bottom out in the mid teens 15-16. Too much on and off flurries/clouds to sink lower. Next we look towards Austin and Houston for more ice ice baby.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9360 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:09 am

wxman57 wrote:I must say, I'm really starting to love cold winter weather. This morning's sub-freezing temperatures across Houston made me realize that cold weather is good, heat is bad. I only wish I could experience many more sub-freezing days in Houston before spring arrives. In addition, daytime highs in the low to mid 40s are far more enjoyable than highs above 80 degrees.

My plant's are toast and my ponds are frozen over and the pool anti freeze protection system has been running all night and now you love cold weather? :lol: :P :wink:
0 likes   

Wx Infinity Forums

Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Return to “Winter Weather”