Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#9381 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 am

gboudx wrote:For those of us seeing snow flurries this morning, it's lake effect. Cool huh? :D

That is awesome, I was wondering why the heck radar returns were so much heavier around dfw than everyone else. All those big man made lakes to good use!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9382 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:32 am

Texas Snowman wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I must say, I'm really starting to love cold winter weather. This morning's sub-freezing temperatures across Houston made me realize that cold weather is good, heat is bad. I only wish I could experience many more sub-freezing days in Houston before spring arrives. In addition, daytime highs in the low to mid 40s are far more enjoyable than highs above 80 degrees.

Bravo sir, bravo! Well done Wxman57!!! :D

I really do find cold weather invigorating! Too bad I have to work today. I'd much rather be out on my bike for a long ride.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9383 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 am

wxman57 wrote:I must say, I'm really starting to love cold winter weather. This morning's sub-freezing temperatures across Houston made me realize that cold weather is good, heat is bad. I only wish I could experience many more sub-freezing days in Houston before spring arrives. In addition, daytime highs in the low to mid 40s are far more enjoyable than highs above 80 degrees.

Sir, Julio said he has two portable propane heaters he can send you. Since you are up the road, he wants to know who is paying for the propane. He said those those suckers ( the heaters) will heat you and your office up to 90 in 5 minutes. :)
0 likes   

Tcu101
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9384 Postby Tcu101 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 am

wxman57 wrote:I notice that the 00Z Euro ensembles are indicating another large area of cold 850mb anomalies across Texas next Wednesday. Perhaps we'll get to enjoy another period of sub-freezing temperatures next week?

What have y'all done to him :-)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9385 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

I'm thinking we see a temp bust today here in Austin. EWX has us with a high of 41. We're sitting 24 degrees right now with increasing clouds and still major-league cold air advection. I seriously doubt we get above 37-38 degrees. Of course, that'll also mean we'll drop quicker to freezing once the sun sets.

All in all tonight/tomorrow's event has the potential to be the WORST one of the winter for the Austin area. QPF values in the models are much higher than previous events. Only saving grace will be recent warm temps so roads may be slow to ice over. Elevated roadways/bridges will be a joke tomorrow morning if this forecast verifies.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9386 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:45 am

Tcu101 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I notice that the 00Z Euro ensembles are indicating another large area of cold 850mb anomalies across Texas next Wednesday. Perhaps we'll get to enjoy another period of sub-freezing temperatures next week?

After all the crowing in the Summer of 2011, he so OWES us. Dadgummit.....
0 likes   

katheria
Category 1
Category 1

#9387 Postby katheria » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 am

got out of neighborhood and then :double: after sliding 2xs in the truck in half a mile decided its not worth it......came right back home....personal day to say the least.....

wxman57 please bring the heat...im done with this winter...snow is fine but this stuff blahhhhhhhhh
0 likes   
just a guess.......take everything i say with a grain of salt.......check your local NWS for forecast information

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#9388 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 am

Portastorm wrote:I'm thinking we see a temp bust today here in Austin. EWX has us with a high of 41. We're sitting 24 degrees right now with increasing clouds and still major-league cold air advection. I seriously doubt we get above 37-38 degrees. Of course, that'll also mean we'll drop quicker to freezing once the sun sets.

All in all tonight/tomorrow's event has the potential to be the WORST one of the winter for the Austin area. QPF values in the models are much higher than previous events. Only saving grace will be recent warm temps so roads may be slow to ice over. Elevated roadways/bridges will be a joke tomorrow morning if this forecast verifies.

:uarrow:
What you said! I echo that.

Ice day number...how many is this? This has the potential to be the Icemaggaedon day of all ice days so far this Winter in this area. Is there a Pacific tap to this moisture raising the QPF? We got a measley 0.05 out of the precip yesterday.
Last edited by weatherdude1108 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9389 Postby Rgv20 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 am

Currently 37 with Rain and even had some thunder earlier this morning, from a high of 93 yesterday to 37 currently, a 56 degree difference! :eek:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9390 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:52 am

Portastorm wrote:I'm thinking we see a temp bust today here in Austin. EWX has us with a high of 41. We're sitting 24 degrees right now with increasing clouds and still major-league cold air advection. I seriously doubt we get above 37-38 degrees. Of course, that'll also mean we'll drop quicker to freezing once the sun sets.

Remember this statement Porta....in the Summer of 2011...

WORST. SUMMER. EVER.

Seems like light years ago......:)
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9391 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:59 am

Its clearing here and the big yellow disc we call the March sun is out but the wind and cold is nullifying it. It feels, tastes, and smells like dead of winter.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9392 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 am

Water vapor imagery clearly shows the potent short wave (upper air disturbance) advancing E towards Texas. It is also noteworthy that an additional piece of upper level energy is crossing Mexico heading E towards the Rio Grande Valley/S Central Texas Region.

0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

#9393 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am

Since last night the WeatherBug app on my phone is showing 70-80% chance of some kind of frozen precip between 1pm-6pm. What model do they use? I haven't seen that mentioned, or are they picking up on the lake effect flurries that are forming?
0 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9394 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am

:uarrow: Look at that subtropical Jet! MJO magic!

7 more pages guys to tie! 8 to beat 09-10
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9395 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:07 am

Tireman4 wrote:

Remember this statement Porta....in the Summer of 2011...

WORST. SUMMER. EVER.

Seems like light years ago......:)

I remember it well, my friend. Remember it well.

Heat Miser probably thinks this is the WORST. WINTER. EVER. :P
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#9396 Postby Snowman67 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:09 am

wxman57 wrote:
Snowman67 wrote:

A true man of his word. 57, to celebrate your transformation, you should take a nice long bike ride in shorts and a t-shirt this morning. Breathe in the crisp, fresh air, deep into your lungs and let the brisk north wind refresh you.

As much as I would have loved to take along bike ride wearing minimal protective clothing, I had to head in to the office. I did go out to get the paper this morning dressed only in a pair of jogging shorts (no shirt or shoes). I wonder what my neighbors may think of my running out to get the paper like that? ;-)

Hey - it's a start :D
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#9397 Postby davidiowx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:18 am

Ntxw wrote::uarrow: Look at that subtropical Jet! MJO magic!

7 more pages guys to tie! 8 to beat 09-10

I am thinking we will easily beat that! :cold:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9398 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:24 am

Portastorm wrote:
I remember it well, my friend. Remember it well.

Heat Miser probably thinks this is the WORST. WINTER. EVER. :P

Au contraire, I am loving every minute of this winter. That is, with the exception of those days with highs above 60 degrees.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9399 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 am

Tcu101 wrote:

I just laughed out loud. Hahahha

What if summer NEVER RETURNED? 8-)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#9400 Postby davidiowx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 am

:uarrow: I guess it is safe to say you lost the best to TeamPlayersBlue :P
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”