Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#9421 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 am

Kelarie wrote:Your coworker is right. I have the same thought. We are currently in a "hot" house world going into a "cold" house world. Right before ice ages, the Earth heats up, unpredictable weather. We have seen evidence of this in the geologic record. Won't be a flash freeze like several movies have shown, but a gradual cooling.

Likely over a period longer than a typical human lifetime. Maybe by several times longer.

Remember how the Great Lakes were formed. Or at least the theory of how.
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#9422 Postby HouTXmetro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 am

I know we have a WSA in effect but are we looking at serious threat of Winter Weather or just a small possibility? Will the temps be cold enough or border line? HGX area
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#9423 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:06 am

HouTXmetro wrote:I know we have a WSA in effect but are we looking at serious threat of Winter Weather or just a small possibility? Will the temps be cold enough or border line? HGX area

The threat appears to be across northern parts of the city, not in central Houston (like the med center to downgtown). Possibly some issues with bridges/overpasses north of Beltway 8 through Conroe and Huntsville.
0 likes   

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#9424 Postby ndale » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 am

I know were debating about recent warm weather helping the road situation with freezing precip. This may be interesting from Jeff on another forum: "Air temperatures in the low to mid 20’s have cooled roadway surfaces to near/below freezing (US 290 at SH 6) is currently reporting a roadway temperature of 25.6 degrees. While there will be some recovery today with the high March sun angle…think roadway surfaces will cool quickly to freezing this evening."

I know that is the Houston area but we should have a similar scenario.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#9425 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 am

HouTXmetro wrote:I know we have a WSA in effect but are we looking at serious threat of Winter Weather or just a small possibility? Will the temps be cold enough or border line? HGX area

Wxman 57 can speak to this, but it looked like North of Houston and north...but I could be mistaken...
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#9426 Postby gboudx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 am

katheria wrote:im seriously thinking about calling for help for wxman57.......something has got to be wrong....... has he lost his mind?????? :cheesy:

He's trying to kill y'all with kindness. Don't fall for it.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9427 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 am

Sun just came out, temps may get close to 40F
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#9428 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
TheProfessor wrote: I'd rather have a super cell stall right on top of me or a squall line train over me. We really need the rain.

No, you don't want that. You want a good, long, gentle, soaking rain over a few days.

We do need gentle, soaking rains.

But I'm afraid that many lakes - and in some parts of the state, most - are so incredibly low that it will take flash flooding type rains to fill them up again.

Case in point - nearby Lake Texoma reached its lowest level ever in 1957 after the 1952-57 drought in Oklahoma (and northwestern Texas too, both of which feed Texoma by way of the Red River and the Washita River).

The lowest level ever recorded at Texoma was 599.94 feet above sea level on March 20, 1957. (It's at 608.24 right now, the lowest since 1979).

But by May of 1957, the lake surged upwards after heavy rains (especially in mid-May) and topped the emergency spillway for the first time ever at 640.00 feet.

From lowest to highest in a little more than two months, but it took some SERIOUS rain to get it done.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9429 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 am

gboudx wrote:
katheria wrote:im seriously thinking about calling for help for wxman57.......something has got to be wrong....... has he lost his mind?????? :cheesy:

No, really, I DO love the cold weather!
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9430 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 am

:uarrow: Off topic, still on the idea of needing big time precip.

Found this while researching my answer (correct Texoma pool levels) and came across this. After the horrific 1952-57 drought in Oklahoma and Texas, the Sooner State got INCREDIBLY wet as the drought ended.

http://climate.ok.gov/index.php/climate ... /1950_1959

1957: Wettest May of century, statewide-averaged precipitation of 10.68 inches.

1957: Annual precipitation at Kiamichi Tower, 84.47 inches, greatest of century at any reporting station.

1957: Wettest year of Century with a statewide-averaged precipitation of 48.21 inches.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9431 Postby orangeblood » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:20 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
davidiowx wrote:Things are going to get really interesting tonight around here. Especially with the QPFs showing what they are showing. :froze:

The SREF had an average of .50 qpf but NWS is expecting .03 to .10?

Correction .63 for HOU

Been following the SREF for quite some time and it's mean is GARBAGE.....example, yesterdays storm the SREF had a mean of 0.35 inch QPF for DFW, actually mean for the entire Metroplex was no more than 0.08 inch. Overall, for QPF, the GFS is probably your best bet and that is really saying something. Models are having a really hard time with these convective features as they seem to over forecast QPF
Last edited by orangeblood on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9432 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:20 am

wxman57 wrote:No, really, I DO love the cold weather!

Somebody take a picture of his Avatar, quick!!!!!
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9433 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 am

wxman57 wrote:
gboudx wrote:

No, really, I DO love the cold weather!

Hahaha did one of the cold mongerer's hack into wxman's account? This is crazy!
0 likes   

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#9434 Postby Snowman67 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

wxman57 wrote:

The threat appears to be across northern parts of the city, not in central Houston (like the med center to downgtown). Possibly some issues with bridges/overpasses north of Beltway 8 through Conroe and Huntsville.

Do you think it could be bad enough to cancel school in Tomball? We've already had two cancellation days due to ice this year. I know it's tough to forecast any given location, especially when temps may be borderline, but interested in your thoughts.
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9435 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 am

Texas Snowman wrote:
WeatherGuesser wrote:
TheProfessor wrote: I'd rather have a super cell stall right on top of me or a squall line train over me. We really need the rain.

No, you don't want that. You want a good, long, gentle, soaking rain over a few days.

We do need gentle, soaking rains.

But I'm afraid that many lakes - and in some parts of the state, most - are so incredibly low that it will take flash flooding type rains to fill them up again.

Case in point - nearby Lake Texoma reached its lowest level ever in 1957 after the 1952-57 drought in Oklahoma (and northwestern Texas too, both of which feed Texoma by way of the Red River and the Washita River).

The lowest level ever recorded at Texoma was 599.94 feet above sea level on March 20, 1957. (It's at 608.24 right now, the lowest since 1979).

But by May of 1957, the lake surged upwards after heavy rains (especially in mid-May) and topped the emergency spillway for the first time ever at 640.00 feet.

From lowest to highest in a little more than two months, but it took some SERIOUS rain to get it done.

Major El Nino turned on in 1957 that ended the decade's drought.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

#9436 Postby downsouthman1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:25 am

12Z GFS any moment & then in about 6-12 hours it's the HRRR's turn. Does anyone know how it performed yesterday? I wasn't watching much as this was mainly a NE storm.
0 likes   
Not a professional MET! My posts are merely speculation.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9437 Postby orangeblood » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 am

wxman57 wrote:Hmm, what if summer never returned?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Note that one of the causes was historically low solar activity (something we're currently observing). My coworker thinks we may be heading for a mini ice age.

Prediction.....The AGW Crowd will explain it away by saying that the magical 400 parts per million bad CO2 is making up for 14 gazillion watts of solar energy lost from low solar
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9438 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:29 am

orangeblood wrote:

Note that one of the causes was historically low solar activity (something we're currently observing). My coworker thinks we may be heading for a mini ice age.

Prediction.....The AGW Crowd will explain it away by saying that the magical 400 parts per million bad CO2 is making up for 14 gazillion watts of solar energy lost from low solar

Uh, let's not go there please. :wink:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9439 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:30 am

orangeblood wrote:

I'll never forget when i came to light about the mini ice age. There was a wonderful program on the history channel sometime around 2004-2006. It was 2 hours long and talked about how it effected the world economically. Of course it also discussed meteorologically what happened and i was fascinated. Finally found a definitive argument to global warming. But thats a whole nother thread!

Also, Europe has been very cold these last few years.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9440 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 am

Texas Snowman wrote:
wxman57 wrote:No, really, I DO love the cold weather!

Somebody take a picture of his Avatar, quick!!!!!

Preserved in perpetuity!

0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”