Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#9081 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 am

srainhoutx wrote:A quick update on what early March Weather may bring. Our Teleconnection Indices suggest a significant Northern Hemispheric Pattern change may be lurking with an extremely negative Arctic Oscillation and an extremely negative North Atlantic Oscillation suggesting a Bridge to Bridge Blocking Regime impacting North America. The GEFS Ensembles are 'sniffing out' this pattern change that may bring a return of "colder" weather across much of North America including where we live in Texas. It's Rodeo time in Houston and I expect both chili and chilly weather may be in the cards... ;)

Yep! I agree with you. Finally, it looks like we will have the NAO go into the tank as we get into the second week of March. Old Man Winter may be making his last stand in the next 10-14 days across much of the Central and Eastern CONUS.

I have been anticipating the pattern change for the past couple of weeks, and it may indeed come to fruition soon.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#9082 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 am

One of those strange winter nights where the temp didn't drop. Still 33. But, it's nasty out there just 30 miles west. That freezing line is close. And more rain coming. Nuts.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9083 Postby Ntxw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am

Thundering here. Storms rolling in from south at mid 30s.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9084 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:07 am

Ntxw wrote:Thundering here. Storms rolling in from south at mid 30s.

Had to drive in with this crap, heavy rain and some very intense lightning through FTW. This would be some intense fun if it were say 28 out and not 35 :ggreen:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9085 Postby wxman57 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 am

Very sharp rise in temperatures just above the surface - up to the lower 50s at about 4000 ft. That means cold rain today. The cold front made it to just south of Houston. It's 57 at the office by Hobby and 68 at Galveston.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#9086 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 am

Schools are closed pretty close to FW. An assistant principal told me in a meeting this morning that her house was iced over about 25 minutes west of here and school was closed this morning as more rain came in.

Then, as she drove it was easy to see where the freezing line ended pretty dramatically.
0 likes   

TarrantWx
Category 1
Category 1

#9087 Postby TarrantWx » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 am

Knox and Baylor counties in NW Texas were under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning this morning with temperatures in the upper 20's. I can't recall seeing something like that before. That must've been interesting.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9088 Postby Ntxw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 am

It is 2015ing out there. Downpours in these storms, blinding rain and vivid lightning.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9089 Postby srainhoutx » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:42 am

Power lines down across I-35 @ FM 1306 just S of Gainesville in Cooke County. I-35 closed in both directions
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

DFW Stormwatcher
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9090 Postby DFW Stormwatcher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:06 am

srainhoutx wrote:Power lines down across I-35 @ FM 1306 just S of Gainesville in Cooke County. I-35 closed in both directions

That’s amazing, usually am unhappy about getting bypassed by winter weather so close. Not thus time though, I like my trees, and if this weather had moved just 30 miles to the east, dfw would’ve been a parking lot.
0 likes   
Disclaimer: This is not an official weather forecast. I am only an amateur weather enthusiast therefore any weather forecasts or opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Hook em Horns!

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#9091 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am

Haris wrote:Something I just wanted to to tell y'all,

I am only 17 years old :)

But, I have been reading and studying weather since 4 so I know a lot for my age. And believe it or not, before jan 2017, I didnt even know that computer models existed besides the rpm. And now, I have mastered them. But I want to thank mister porta for that. He has taught me so much via twitter DM's . LOL. He is a smart fella along with many others are on this forum ;) .
Edit: But with that said, please dont treat my like a teen or young person :). I have been called by many an "old soul still young" lol. Please consider my posts . Thanks :)

Hi there. Welcome!

Your introduction has reminded me of my own weather stories. I have always been fascinated with how the weather interacts with things in my surroundings. I remember being in first grade outside during a recess period, seeing the trees swaying and bending in the wind. I mentioned it to the teacher. She said, "Yeah, it's Spring time, tornado season." I recall it was chilly out, and I think a front had just blown in. Her comment made me think that the trees blowing meant a tornado was causing it.lol

But it wasn't until I was 12 that I really became interested in weather, when it snowed almost 14 inches in San Antonio (where I lived at the time), unheard of down there, and a new record set at the time. That experience catapulted me into a keen interest in weather, to the point that I became known for it in my circle of family and friends. I would watch the Weather Channel (back in the 80s when it used to be good) with my brother, and we'd check the forecasts, and outside.

I went to college and got my minor in Atmospheric Science, only because I was not good enough at math to pursue a meteorology major. So I majored in Geoscience (part of same earth science "umbrella"), with a minor in Atmospheric Science. I love the science and physics principles of weather, and get how most of that works. I could just never apply the math to the science and physics parts.lol I still get questions from my wife, family, friends, coworkers, etc. on what the weather will be like, whenever.

I got introduced to this site from a coworker, who said this site was "right up my alley" as he put it.lol
There are a lot of great posters on here, from avid weather enthusiasts to professional meterologists, and everyone in between. Welcome aboard, sir! :)
5 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9092 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 am

Freezing drizzle and freezing rain again this morning. Second day in a row that all area schools have been cancelled. Looks to warm a little above freezing this afternoon.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#9093 Postby Cerlin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:

But, I have been reading and studying weather since 4 so I know a lot for my age. And believe it or not, before jan 2017, I didnt even know that computer models existed besides the rpm. And now, I have mastered them. But I want to thank mister porta for that. He has taught me so much via twitter DM's . LOL. He is a smart fella along with many others are on this forum ;) .
Edit: But with that said, please dont treat my like a teen or young person :). I have been called by many an "old soul still young" lol. Please consider my posts . Thanks :)

Hi there. Welcome!

Your introduction has reminded me of my own weather stories. I have always been fascinated with how the weather interacts with things in my surroundings. I remember being in first grade outside during a recess period, seeing the trees swaying and bending in the wind. I mentioned it to the teacher. She said, "Yeah, it's Spring time, tornado season." I recall it was chilly out, and I think a front had just blown in. Her comment made me think that the trees blowing meant a tornado was causing it.lol

But it wasn't until I was 12 that I really became interested in weather, when it snowed almost 14 inches in San Antonio (where I lived at the time), unheard of down there, and a new record set at the time. That experience catapulted me into a keen interest in weather, to the point that I became known for it in my circle of family and friends. I would watch the Weather Channel (back in the 80s when it used to be good) with my brother, and we'd check the forecasts, and outside.

I went to college and got my minor in Atmospheric Science, only because I was not good enough at math to pursue a meteorology major. So I majored in Geoscience (part of same earth science "umbrella"), with a minor in Atmospheric Science. I love the science and physics principles of weather, and get how most of that works. I could just never apply the math to the science and physics parts.lol I still get questions from my wife, family, friends, coworkers, etc. on what the weather will be like, whenever.

I got introduced to this site from a coworker, who said this site was "right up my alley" as he put it.lol
There are a lot of great posters on here, from avid weather enthusiasts to professional meterologists, and everyone in between. Welcome aboard, sir! :)

I’ve been obsessed with weather for as long as I can remember but I’m also much younger. I’ve used this forum as a platform to learn about how weather works and it’s really inspired me to consider meteorology and studies of weather as a career. I still don’t know so much but my love for snow and weather has grown as a result of being on here and interacting with the community. That’s why i tend to ask questions instead of providing analysis because I’m trying to learn and to appreciate weather.
4 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9094 Postby dhweather » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 am

Crazy morning in Heath, torrential rainfall on fully saturated soil, rapid runoff everywhere. 1.34" in just over an hour, small hail a couple of times, and the lightning - it was as bad as a springtime thunderstorm. Lost power on three separate occasions, fortunately the grid system recovered and came back on quickly after each.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9095 Postby dhweather » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:58 am

wxman57 wrote:

Very sharp rise in temperatures just above the surface - up to the lower 50s at about 4000 ft. That means cold rain today. The cold front made it to just south of Houston. It's 57 at the office by Hobby and 68 at Galveston.

The FWD sounding was rather interesting this morning for sure. Near freezing at the surface, low-mid 50's 1.5km up and saturated up to roughly 750mb. Things you don't see everyday.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9096 Postby orangeblood » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Very interesting system coming out of the SW on the CMC this morning, for next Friday...very cold aloft with warmer surface temps attm

1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9097 Postby Ntxw » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm

:uarrow: That system has been on my radar. The NAO block will force a southerly track.

As of rain..DFW picked up 0.33" at the airport to bring Feb to 4.86" enough for 8th wettest. With several more rounds before month ends, top 5 wettest February is on the table
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#9098 Postby Haris » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:

Hi there. Welcome!

Thank you sir! Great story ! My’n is way more complicated and kinda weird .

I didn’t move to Austin TX until I was 5 . I was born in Rhode Island, but granted, only lived there until I was 3 so that didn’t do anything related to my WX passion. Between when I was 3-5 , I was in California. Weather there is fairly boring and still , no interest in WX. At age 5, I moved to Austin, so that’s like (2003 I think) . First couple years, not that much interest. It began from Ice Storm 07’ I recall. That ice storm was crazy! I began to read about weather and purchase encyclopedias. What BEGAN the REAL journey was the March 2010 hail storm ... Baseball Size hail fell in North Austin. After that, I got sooo facinated and I started doing my own forecasts and really expanded my knowledge BUT THAT ALSO was a trauma for me! Every time a thunderstorm came after that day, I used to sweat so badly , be under the covers for HOURS and have headphones on at max volume . I had a mental issue. That issue /phobia went slowly when I was around 14 (2014) and growing up. Now, I like severe weather and all types of weather frankly! Over the last 2 years, I have started making lots of relationships with several meteorologists around town and started joining forums etc... Now, I make my own professional forecasts, blog over the weather and have a fast growing twitter account for forecasts. It’s so crazy that a traumatic experience and major phobia simultaneously sparked my passion for meteorology. It’s weird. I know LOL
4 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9099 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm

orangeblood wrote:Very interesting system coming out of the SW on the CMC this morning, for next Friday...very cold aloft with warmer surface temps attm

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... _us_31.png

We could see multiple opportunities in March. For this system, the CMC might have the better handle on things at this range given that the GFS can be too progressive and the Euro may be holding too much energy back in the SW.
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9100 Postby wxman57 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Warm front is about 2/3 of the way through Houston now. Temps climbing back to the upper 70s in south Houston. Looking out over the next couple of weeks, I'm not seeing a mechanism that will bring any real cold down to Texas. More Pacific air than Canadian air. No Arctic air. Looking at the GFS and ECMWF ensembles.

(t-26 days)
1 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”