Texas Winter 2019-2020

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Winter 2019-2020

#1781 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Surprised there’s no chatter about the front the Euro and GFS are both showing in 9 to 10 days.

This thread is dead. Maybe someone should make a Spring thread. :wink:
1 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1782 Postby Portastorm » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Surprised there’s no chatter about the front the Euro and GFS are both showing in 9 to 10 days.

Yeah Cpv17 I saw that too. In fact the 0z and 12z Euro show that. Let’s see how it develops.

STS, hush your mouth! Spring will sprung in due time. We still have 4-6 weeks of potential winter here. Most folks are mad and bitter and have thrown in the towel. They’ll be back if and when a real winter threat presents itself.

Btw, I don’t know if y’all saw this or not but the CMC (aka Crazy Canadian) is now outscoring the American model. Euro remains king. I guess the GFS is living up to its R-rated acronym. :lol:
4 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#1783 Postby harp » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Portastorm wrote:

Yeah Cpv17 I saw that too. In fact the 0z and 12z Euro show that. Let’s see how it develops.

STS, hush your mouth! Spring will sprung in due time. We still have 4-6 weeks of potential winter here. Most folks are mad and bitter and have thrown in the towel. They’ll be back if and when a real winter threat presents itself.

Btw, I don’t know if y’all saw this or not but the CMC (aka Crazy Canadian) is now outscoring the American model. Euro remains king. I guess the GFS is living up to its R-rated acronym. :lol:

What did it show? What did I miss?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1784 Postby Brent » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:03 pm

The euro doesn't even have Dallas hitting freezing lol
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#1785 Postby Cerlin » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 pm

:bored:
2 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1786 Postby TropicalTundra » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:09 pm

Cerlin wrote::bored:
:roll:
0 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1787 Postby Texas Snowman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Look, we all know what the problem is. Ever since Brent moved to North Texas, snow and cold have all but disappeared in the region. He complains about no winter, but I suspect he is really in cahoots with Lord Heat Vader as a weather saboteur.

:froze: :blowup: :firedevil:

Just kidding Brent! :D
8 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1788 Postby Brent » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:23 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Look, we all know what the problem is. Ever since Brent moved to North Texas, snow and cold have all but disappeared in the region. He complains about no winter, but I suspect he is really in cahoots with Lord Heat Vader as a weather saboteur.

:lol:

Hey the first winter was amazing 14-15 then it all went south :double:
7 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1789 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:31 pm

No signs of snow over the next two weeks but it does look like DFW will pick up enough rain over the next week to make a run at the 2nd wettest January on record. At 9.07" 1st Place 1932 looks to be safely ahead at this point.
3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1790 Postby TheProfessor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Brent wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:Look, we all know what the problem is. Ever since Brent moved to North Texas, snow and cold have all but disappeared in the region. He complains about no winter, but I suspect he is really in cahoots with Lord Heat Vader as a weather saboteur.

It's weird, ever since I left DFW has been snow starved and the few times winter weather did show up I happened to be back in town for college break to experience. And now as far as I know there hasn't been much snow up in Central Ohio yet, though there have been a few signs that there might be an apps runner in the coming week or two so that might change. Anyways I guess the only way to tell if I'm really a snow magnet is to see if I can get it to snow even a trace all the way down in SELA. :lol:
3 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1791 Postby Haris » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:58 pm

Candidates in both parties better add the following to their platforms: 1) Tear down the Canadian wall; It is cruel and immoral! 2) Shift the Brent corporation out of Texas. 3) Snowfall4All 4) Criminalize all droughts 5) make weather great again! MAWA :flag: :flag: :flag: :wink:
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1792 Postby Brent » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:02 am

TheProfessor wrote:
Brent wrote:

It's weird, ever since I left DFW has been snow starved and the few times winter weather did show up I happened to be back in town for college break to experience. And now as far as I know there hasn't been much snow up in Central Ohio yet, though there have been a few signs that there might be an apps runner in the coming week or two so that might change. Anyways I guess the only way to tell if I'm really a snow magnet is to see if I can get it to snow even a trace all the way down in SELA. :lol:

I guess the biggest thing about 14-15 was the highlight of winter was by a mile still ahead at the end of February and first week of March(still the last time DFW had more than a half inch of snow :lol: ) there wasn't anything from Christmas to Valentines Day that I remember

so its not completely hopeless yet I guess...
2 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1793 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:18 am

Brent wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:
Brent wrote:

I guess the biggest thing about 14-15 was the highlight of winter was by a mile still ahead at the end of February and first week of March(still the last time DFW had more than a half inch of snow :lol: ) there wasn't anything from Christmas to Valentines Day that I remember

Yeah that stretch where we had snow storm, minor ice storm, then another snow storm was crazy If I remember correctly one of those was quite the over producer for Denton County and a few of the other northern counties. That seems to be a running theme when it comes to snow storms in DFW, it almost always the one's you don't expect. There were a lot of great snow storms up to that point though and only one of them that I missed (unlike my dad who seemed to miss all of them lol.). It might be because Texas is still home for me and experiencing snow there is different, but that 14-15 stretch ranks above anything I saw in Ohio except for one storm that was able to create some nice drifts.
2 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1794 Postby Brent » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:49 am

TheProfessor wrote:
Brent wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:

Yeah that stretch where we had snow storm, minor ice storm, then another snow storm was crazy If I remember correctly one of those was quite the over producer for Denton County and a few of the other northern counties. That seems to be a running theme when it comes to snow storms in DFW, it almost always the one's you don't expect. There were a lot of great snow storms up to that point though and only one of them that I missed (unlike my dad who seemed to miss all of them lol.). It might be because Texas is still home for me and experiencing snow there is different, but that 14-15 stretch ranks above anything I saw in Ohio except for one storm that was able to create some nice drifts.

that final storm matched all the storms I had seen in 20 years in Alabama(except maybe the 93 blizzard which I barely remember) and I had only been here about 5 months :lol:

I think in some ways it gave me an unrealistic expectation of winters here

Btw 0z euro don't see any reason for hype 70s for highs several days
2 likes   
#neversummer

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1795 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:41 am

EWX had a writeup this morning.

Climate...
A freeze is not forecast through the remainder of January at San
Antonio, Austin Camp Mabry, or Del Rio. Assuming a freeze does not
occur through the end of the month this will be the first time since
1939 that San Antonio has not had a freeze in the month of January,
since 1950 at Del Rio, and since 2006 at Austin Camp Mabry.

Here are the years where it did not freeze in the month of January
for our climate sites:

San Antonio.........1921 / 1923 / 1932 / 1939
Austin Camp Mabry...1923 / 1986 / 1990 / 1998 / 2006
Austin Bergstrom....1945 / 1952 / 1983
Del Rio.............1939 / 1941 / 1950

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1796 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:00 am

I had a dream last night that a big snow event was expected across Texas. It was my job to provide the company briefing on the event. However, the more I looked at the data, the less confident I was that the snow would fall. The air aloft just looked too warm. The pattern aloft didn't look "right". My conclusion at the end of the briefing was that we would more likely see cold rain than snow. Everyone was disappointed in the news. This demonstrates how unrealistic dreams can be, right?
4 likes   

Common sense
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1797 Postby Common sense » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 am

wxman57 wrote:I had a dream last night that a big snow event was expected across Texas. It was my job to provide the company briefing on the event. However, the more I looked at the data, the less confident I was that the snow would fall. The air aloft just looked too warm. The pattern aloft didn't look "right". My conclusion at the end of the briefing was that we would more likely see cold rain than snow. Everyone was disappointed in the news. This demonstrates how unrealistic dreams can be, right?

More than likely you're just delusional.
2 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1798 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:43 pm

Wake up East Texas and Louisiana lol

3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#1799 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:46 pm

Winter is not over by any means. The 12z gfs run shows a winter storm for parts of Arkansas, Texas, LA, and MS. Even a gulf low developing hammering us here in south LA with 12 inches of snow. This time it’s only 280 hrs out, it really will happen this time :woo: :Partytime:

Such a joke
5 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1800 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:14 pm

If that happened I'd have to invite yall down for some Gumbo :lol:
1 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”