Texas Winter 2014-2015

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#2321 Postby Portastorm » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:24 pm

ronyan wrote:The 500mb pattern forecast (on the ensembles and the op guidance) looks more like the cold will be displaced to the East, with TX getting modified shots of cold air. Has time to change though.

Agreed on the 500 mb pattern. Temps will be cold in much of Texas but nothing extraordinary.

Meanwhile our friends out in west Texas are getting more ice, sleet, and freezing rain. Talked to some family in Odessa today and things there were pretty bad. Trees down, roads iced over, power outages, etc.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2322 Postby lukem » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:58 pm

I'm in Midland and things are pretty bad here. My backyard looks like a war zone. I just lost another big branch as I was typing this. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow tonight. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and I'm praying we don't lose power in the middle of the night.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2323 Postby Portastorm » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:54 pm

lukem wrote:I'm in Midland and things are pretty bad here. My backyard looks like a war zone. I just lost another big branch as I was typing this. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow tonight. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and I'm praying we don't lose power in the middle of the night.

Good luck, buddy! Got a fireplace? You might want to stoke that up. Can really help. Been through a few ice storms here in Austin when my boys were little. One night we all had to sleep by the fireplace as we had two days/one overnight without power. Yes, it sucked! :lol:

Keep us posted if you can about conditions out there ... us I-35ers are living vicariously through you now! :wink:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2324 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Wow! I love winter weather, but maybe not THIS much!!! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZsNSxnyzs
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Category 1
Category 1

#2325 Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Well, we missed out on the winter precip, but we are getting some nice rain this evening. Even had a little thunder and lightning. I hope our reservoirs get some water.
0 likes   

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#2326 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:18 pm

BrokenGlassRepublicn wrote:Well, we missed out on the winter precip, but we are getting some nice rain this evening. Even had a little thunder and lightning. I hope our reservoirs get some water.

Considering January is our 2nd driest month around here I'm hoping we'll continue to get precip above normal as much as possible within reason. BUT would like some cold temps to turn it into snow at least in Jan-Feb.
0 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#2327 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 am

Getting some moderate to heavy rain with lightning and thunder at 38 degrees. Nice rain! Dog shaking annoyingly as usual.
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2328 Postby orangeblood » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 am

Next weekend needs to be monitored closely, particularly with the College Football Championship game in the metroplex....with plenty of Arctic Air now in the pattern and being continually reinforced, if some of the energy in the subtopics decides to eject out things could get interesting
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#2329 Postby Shoshana » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:16 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:Getting some moderate to heavy rain with lightning and thunder at 38 degrees. Nice rain! Dog shaking annoyingly as usual.

I was about to post the same thing! Dog not amused but she's better now that she has her Thundershirt on. Really makes a difference.
0 likes   

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#2330 Postby iorange55 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:25 am

Wow! We are getting some intense thunder here. It sounds like April and feels like December.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#2331 Postby Shoshana » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:33 am

It does sound like spring. Crazy Texas weather!
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2332 Postby orangeblood » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:45 am

:double: yikes, King Euro has a 1061 HP into Nebraska on Wednesday blasting through the Gulf Coast into the Yucatan....Porta, you might want to retract your 'nothing extraordinary' comment from earlier...this one could pack a really good punch. Has teens in Dfw with subfreezing highs possibly into Austin
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2333 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:22 am

I can't think of any better way to start a new year than with an awesome thunderstorm! :D Hoping for a wet 2015!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2334 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:20 am

Off topic announcement:

There is a thread at the announcement forum made about this topic but I felt the need to post something here as this Texas Winter thread is the most visited at this time of year.Are we going to allow this site to shut down in a few weeks being the best source to get up to the minute information? You wont find a site so valuable and rich on information than what S2K provides 24/7 for the past 12 years.

Can you imagine S2K going away and we would not get wxman57 (Heat Miser) imput or Porta always precise press conferences or me posting daily ENSO information at the ENSO thread,or getting up to the minute Severe Weather and Tropical Weather information and I can go on and on and on. Can you imagine the 2015 Atlantic and EPAC Hurricane seasons coming on June 1rst and S2K is no longer available?

IF 100 PEOPLE CONTRIBUTED $5 PER MONTH WE WOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE PAYING OUR BILLS AND COULD PROVIDE OTHER SERVICES.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117039&hilit=&p=2432970#p2432970

To donate go Go here and click the donate button

I sent my donation.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2335 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:16 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Wow! I love winter weather, but maybe not THIS much!!! :eek:

Vertical videos should be banned from the internet, as indicated by this public service announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

I don't see any decent biking weather in the near future. We should see the sun for the first time in 2015 either late this afternoon or tomorrow. But with highs in the 50s and a gusty wind I'd have to wear a bunch of layers and cover my face. Not fun. Next weekend's weather looks crappy, too. Cool and wet. Counting down the days until summer...
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2336 Postby NDG » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 am

wxman57 wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:Wow! I love winter weather, but maybe not THIS much!!! :eek:

Vertical videos should be banned from the internet, as indicated by this public service announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

I don't see any decent biking weather in the near future. We should see the sun for the first time in 2015 either late this afternoon or tomorrow. But with highs in the 50s and a gusty wind I'd have to wear a bunch of layers and cover my face. Not fun. Next weekend's weather looks crappy, too. Cool and wet. Counting down the days until summer...

I agree, is so annoying watching vertical recorded videos on youtube, lol.
Sorry to hear that your weather in TX has been so crappy so far this winter. I have always said that if FL's weather is nice and warm during the winter, TX wx has to be crappy during a negative EPO.
0 likes   

Tammie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2337 Postby Tammie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:52 am

cycloneye wrote:Off topic announcement:

There is a thread at the announcement forum made about this topic but I felt the need to post something here as this Texas Winter thread is the most visited at this time of year.Are we going to allow this site to shut down in a few weeks being the best source to get up to the minute information? You wont find a site so valuable and rich on information than what S2K provides 24/7 for the past 12 years.

Can you imagine S2K going away and we would not get wxman57 (Heat Miser) imput or Porta always precise press conferences or me posting daily ENSO information at the ENSO thread,or getting up to the minute Severe Weather and Tropical Weather information and I can go on and on and on. Can you imagine the 2015 Atlantic and EPAC Hurricane seasons coming on June 1rst and S2K is no longer available?

IF 100 PEOPLE CONTRIBUTED $5 PER MONTH WE WOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE PAYING OUR BILLS AND COULD PROVIDE OTHER SERVICES.

I sent my donation.

Okay. Color me stupid but I can't see a "donate" button on the link you provided. Also, instructions to set up monthly withdrawals from my checking account using PayPal would be greatly appreciated!
0 likes   
Tammie - Sherman TX

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2338 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 am

Tammie wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Off topic announcement:

I sent my donation.

Okay. Color me stupid but I can't see a "donate" button on the link you provided. Also, instructions to set up monthly withdrawals from my checking account using PayPal would be greatly appreciated!

The donate button is there at the hyperlink where it says "Go here and click the donate button". I am not sure if this is what you want but here are instructions.Scroll down.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=116244&start=0
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Tammie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2339 Postby Tammie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:45 am

Okay. Donated via PayPal to storm2kdkj@gmail.com. I can't figure out on PayPal how to make it an automatic monthly payment. Any PayPal experts out there to advise me on how to set it up?
0 likes   
Tammie - Sherman TX

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2340 Postby gboudx » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:45 am

Tammie wrote:Okay. Donated via PayPal to storm2kdkj@gmail.com. I can't figure out on PayPal how to make it an automatic monthly payment. Any PayPal experts out there to advise me on how to set it up?

From what I see, vbhoutex would need to add a Recurring Payment button for PayPal in order for anyone to donate automatically. I'll add a line in my personal monthly budget to make the donation, but it would be easier if it can be set up.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”