Texas Winter 2018-2019

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Texas Winter 2018-2019

#1341 Postby starsfan65 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:51 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I'm dreaming of a warm Christmas? 12Z GFS has a low in Chicago above freezing with a high in the mid 40s for Christmas Day. That's about what the temperatures were this past weekend during my visit. I'm not seeing any major cold across Texas through December. Upper-level flow at hour 384 is not favorable for bringing any cold air down. I keep hearing about a sudden stratospheric warming that is predicted. Nothing showing up in the long-range GFS, at least. Of course, just last week, the GFS had a big snow storm across Texas on Christmas Eve. So much for that, but it just goes to show how far off the 2-week forecast can be. With any luck, it'll be warmer than the GFS is predicting. ;-)

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018121912/gfs_T2ma_us_26.png

12z Euro EPS is full on North American torch by D15

Things could change from to then.
0 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#1342 Postby Cerlin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm dreaming of a warm Christmas? 12Z GFS has a low in Chicago above freezing with a high in the mid 40s for Christmas Day. That's about what the temperatures were this past weekend during my visit. I'm not seeing any major cold across Texas through December. Upper-level flow at hour 384 is not favorable for bringing any cold air down. I keep hearing about a sudden stratospheric warming that is predicted. Nothing showing up in the long-range GFS, at least. Of course, just last week, the GFS had a big snow storm across Texas on Christmas Eve. So much for that, but it just goes to show how far off the 2-week forecast can be. With any luck, it'll be warmer than the GFS is predicting. ;-)

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018121912/gfs_T2ma_us_26.png

That’s depressing and it’ll probably verify :(
4 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#1343 Postby starsfan65 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Cerlin wrote:

That’s depressing and it’ll probably verify :(
It will not verify!!!!!!
3 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1344 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

We must be looking at different things. I see 52% of the ensembles showing us below normal. 16% of them show massive Arctic fronts plowing south.

1 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1345 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

We must be looking at different things. I see 52% of the ensembles showing us below normal. 16% of them show massive Arctic fronts plowing south.

http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/2018121912/east/eps_t2anom_50_east_61.png

I just took a quick glance at the 850 temp mean and the closed my laptop lol

Regardless, as I posted on the last page, models are going to be all over the place for this upcoming period.
1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1346 Postby Brent » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:11 pm

the EPS mean definitely is below normal leading into New Years for the record

A few must have a little snow too for DFW

Christmas is definitely gonna be on the milder side though... likely one of the warmest days coming up
0 likes   
#neversummer

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1347 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:21 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

Regardless, as I posted on the last page, models are going to be all over the place for this upcoming period.

Haha understood. And I agree, until the SSW is fully underway and we are past Christmas Day, we likely won’t have much clue.
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1348 Postby Ntxw » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:08 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

Haha understood. And I agree, until the SSW is fully underway and we are past Christmas Day, we likely won’t have much clue.

The SSW won't connect with the troposphere until likely after the first week of January. It's got to happen first then we will wait and see the NAM/AO polar regions change.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1349 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Ntxw wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

The SSW won't connect with the troposphere until likely after the first week of January. It's got to happen first then we will wait and see the NAM/AO polar regions change.

I was thinking first week of January but fair enough. 168 hours out will probably be where we start to see some clarity at the 500mb level.
0 likes   
#NeverSummer

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1350 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Ntxw, not sure if you knew this or not, but the 12zeuro showed the pv split day 8 and sends it into NA shortly after. It may be premature for that.I read it from twitter. Not sure if you would use alot of those cold analogs that people are using.
Last edited by hamburgerman7070 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1351 Postby wxman57 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:17 pm

My coworker, the "cold-mongerer", is saying the second week of January at the earliest for any real cold. Seems about right. However, since I'm working every day through the first week of January (including Christmas & New Year's Day), I won't have any time for biking in the above-normal temps. Last time I let two off at a time for Christmas and then send two to the AMS meeting in January. That leaves only two of us to cover two shifts a day. I still think that the general pattern (active southern storm track) may lead to snow events even down to Houston in Jan/Feb - more likely between January 15 and Feb. 21.
10 likes   

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#1352 Postby Quixotic » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Count me as indifferent to SSWs unless we are in a predictive warm pattern. I know they disturb the PV but more likely than not, the benefit will go elsewhere than NA.
1 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1353 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:03 am

It is not just Texas that is winter starved at the moment. Just saw the national map for today and no snow or below freezing temps anywhere outside of the mountains for highs today. It has been average to slightly above across the nation for a while it seems. Big rains again in the eastern portion of the U.S. again, nothing wintry. Midwestern cities above freezing. I have a feeling that when winter hits North America, it will hit hard. Not sure about Texas but the cold cities will get cold again.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1354 Postby Ntxw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 am

The system from Dec 28-31 will have some colder air to work with. Right now snow is confined well to the north but obviously far enough away to at least be a peculiar. It will at minimum give us a little cold spell.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1355 Postby Ntxw » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:36 am

hamburgerman7070 wrote:Ntxw, not sure if you knew this or not, but the 12zeuro showed the pv split day 8 and sends it into NA shortly after. It may be premature for that.I read it from twitter. Not sure if you would use alot of those cold analogs that people are using.

As long as we get strong -AO/-NAO out of a split I don't think it matters where it goes.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1356 Postby dhweather » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:42 am

wxman57 wrote:My coworker, the "cold-mongerer", is saying the second week of January at the earliest for any real cold. Seems about right. However, since I'm working every day through the first week of January (including Christmas & New Year's Day), I won't have any time for biking in the above-normal temps. Last time I let two off at a time for Christmas and then send two to the AMS meeting in January. That leaves only two of us to cover two shifts a day. I still think that the general pattern (active southern storm track) may lead to snow events even down to Houston in Jan/Feb - more likely between January 15 and Feb. 21.

Someone has hacked wxman57's account. :lol: :lol:
3 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1357 Postby orangeblood » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 am

Ntxw wrote:

I was thinking first week of January but fair enough. 168 hours out will probably be where we start to see some clarity at the 500mb level.

Models now seem to be in better agreement on the cattle prod needed to get this pattern (hopefully) locked in as we transition into the heart of winter. It appears to be the deep anomalous PV currently over Northern Siberia...once this transitions out into the Northern Pacific, I believe the dominoes could begin to fall downstream to get things going in NA. Could be the system needed to set in motion a pattern that could lock in for several weeks in the heart of winter - as discussed, numerous analogs have been hinting at this for quite some time. Something to watch....

0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1358 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 am

CPC out with the JFM

1 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1359 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:20 am

Highs in the 70s for Christmas?! :roll:

FXUS64 KEWX 200925
AFDEWX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
325 AM CST Thu Dec 20 2018

.SHORT TERM (Today through Friday)...
Upper level trough is moving to the east. As the jet stream digs
into the base of this trough and the high pressure ridge over Baja
California amplifies, the pressure gradient over Texas is tightened.
Winds will be increasing throughout the afternoon with speeds up to
25 mph and gusts as high as 35mph. The highest winds will be
counties along and east of I-10 and I-37. These winds along with low
relative humidities will bring near critical fire weather concerns
for counties along the Rio Grande Plains. Winds decrease this evening
and with drier air in place and clearer skies, lows dip back down
into the upper 30s Friday morning.

&&

.LONG TERM (Friday Night through Wednesday)...
Friday and through the weekend will be pleasant with northwest flow.
The moisture returns Sunday and Monday and will keep temperatures
near or just above normal. There is still time to change your party
theme from Ugly Christmas Sweater to Hawaiian Luau (Mele Kalikimaka,
ya`ll) because Christmas day will be in the low 70s for most of the
area.
No rain chances in the forecast until mid week. Only slight
chances for showers Tuesday (Christmas Day), with greater chances
Wednesday for counties east of I-35 as the next system and associated
front makes it way to the area.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1360 Postby orangeblood » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:20 am

:uarrow: CPC outlook Looks very similar to most of the analogs we've discussed on here lately.... is extremely encouraging considering their "EC" typically ends up being 6-8 Deg below normal :D
3 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”