Siberian Express January/February 2011

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#61 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:01 am

DonWrk wrote:Question. I know what people are saying on here, and it's a lot of what I want to hear. But for the people who still have their forecasts in the 50's and at most lower 40's, what could they be seeing in the models that is telling them that this isn't going to be what most people on here are speculating?

To whom are you referring? If you are mentioning the NWS, I think they're going colder than that and your Fort Worth office has been outstanding thus far. Plus, NWS forecasters are going to plunge into the deep freeze some 7-8 days out with their forecasted temps. Plenty of time to taper down (or up) as necessary. As for TV mets, I don't know what their motives are other than caution?
0 likes   

DonWrk
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Re:

#62 Postby DonWrk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:05 am

Portastorm wrote:
DonWrk wrote:Question. I know what people are saying on here, and it's a lot of what I want to hear. But for the people who still have their forecasts in the 50's and at most lower 40's, what could they be seeing in the models that is telling them that this isn't going to be what most people on here are speculating?

To whom are you referring? If you are mentioning the NWS, I think they're going colder than that and your Fort Worth office has been outstanding thus far. Plus, NWS forecasters are going to plunge into the deep freeze some 7-8 days out with their forecasted temps. Plenty of time to taper down (or up) as necessary. As for TV mets, I don't know what their motives are other than caution?

I agree. I would say it's mostly caution. I guess most of all have mentioned it in one way or the other. I sure wish I could read the models better!
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Siberian Express January 2011

#63 Postby jasons2k » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 am

srainhoutx wrote:Folks, it becoming rather clear that the cold air is coming and it appears that this will be a long lasting event, compared to a quick shot and warming up. There appears to be multiple reinforcing shots of Arctic Air heading S into the CONUS well into the 15 day time frame beginning later this weekend near the Canadian/US border.

Yes, unfortunately for us warm weather lovers & tropical gardeners, it does. I am still holding out hope that it will not be as severe as currently modelled. We do see a similar setup almost every year and more often than not, it doesn't come to fruition.

That said, I am much more concerned than usual with this. With the source region in Siberia, then moving across and building a high in NW Canada, then the high axis charging straight down the plains with cold air knifing down the front range...it has my attention. These are precisely the ingredients we need for an old-fashoioned "blue norther" here in Texas. The steering patterns would not shunt the worst of this one off to the east.

Somebody please say it ain't so!! :cold:
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#64 Postby Ivanhater » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 am

12z GFS coming out...1060 High coming out of Canada....the consistency is amazing :eek:

0 likes   
Michael

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#65 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:46 am

Pretty unanimous enough to say it's going to be cold throughout the country starting next Monday, maybe Tuesday for the Southeast. If you want to avoid the frigid icebox I suggest going to deep South Florida or California as they look to avoid the worst of it.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm not a forecaster, just a weather freak who watches models etc, but from the looks of things, I think this is a lock ladies and gents. I see this being an event we will look back on in years to come. Not going to say It will be worse than '83 or '89 but it will be in their ballpark. Especially if we can get a solid snowpack in the Midwest to keep the high from moderating quickly.

On the most recent GFS we see only the one huge shot of cold air with not much coming down behind it, but I think more cold air will build in behind it for another dose of the 'Emporer of Winter.' it's not showing it around that ten day period in which the GFS has trouble handling (in my opinion.)

Again I'm a weather nut that is an investment advisor not a pro met :) also, for some reason, I cannot acces the site on my PC browser but I have to use my iPhone to see the site:(
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Based on the consistency of the Euro and GFS, I feel pretty confident that this very significant arctic air intrusion into the CONUS will occur next week. Just as I mentioned yesterday and TeamPlayerBlue pointed out, if we can get a decent snowpack over the Midwest and Plains next week, the potential for record shattering and dangerous cold across the country really looms BIG next week.

Also, it looks probable that this could be a long lasting extreme cold outbreak across the CONUS, which is even more of a concern. I must say that the negative AO and negative NAO have definitely been unexpectedly more extreme than what the experts thought. This pattern looks to be locked into place for most of January it appears now.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#68 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 pm

12z Euro running now ... looks faster with the front than 0z run, through 120 hours.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#69 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Man, this 12z Euro run is interesting. Looks like it digs a sharp trough at 144 hrs ... holds up the front some in north Texas but creates what is probably a blizzard in the Panhandle.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ECMWF_12z/ecmwfloop.html#picture
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby srainhoutx » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Portastorm wrote:Man, this 12z Euro run is interesting. Looks like it digs a sharp trough at 144 hrs ... holds up the front some in north Texas but creates what is probably a blizzard in the Panhandle.

168 has the Freezing line well S along Coastal TX and a very deep trough. :wink:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#71 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Yeah, not to mention 1044mb of high pressure sitting over Amarillo. Sheesh!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#72 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Portastorm wrote:Yeah, not to mention 1044mb of high pressure sitting over Amarillo. Sheesh!

Awhile the 1052mb high is just entering the picture in NW Canada. Check out the heights in Alaska, nothing is going to stop it!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#73 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Yeah, not to mention 1044mb of high pressure sitting over Amarillo. Sheesh!

Awhile the 1052mb high is just entering the picture in NW Canada. Check out the heights in Alaska, nothing is going to stop it!

Good add, Ntxw! This is going to be a long-lasting event. Very impressive. Hopefully we can get past the "is this going to happen?" stuff in the public discussion realm and have media outlets start to educate people on how to protect pipes, pets, outdoor stuff, plants, etc.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#74 Postby Ivanhater » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:53 pm

The worst of the cold seems to be shunted east on the 12z Euro instead over continuing to dive down into Texas. Still extremely cold though.

0 likes   
Michael

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#75 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 pm

Ivanhater wrote:The worst of the cold seems to be shunted east on the 12z Euro instead over continuing to dive down into Texas. Still extremely cold though.[/Quote]

It's going to be universally cold throughout the country. The core will be in the northern plains into the midwest. The coldest for the south will be Texas as freezes will be beyond to Mexico. The only place that would possibly escape is deep south Florida as the air modifies heading east and a SJT trying to fight with storms riding up ne from the SW.
Last edited by Ntxw on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#76 Postby Ivanhater » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 pm

However, the cold doesn't stop!

1060 High IN the U.S..not Canada...IN the U.S! :eek:

0 likes   
Michael

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby iorange55 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Yeah this Euro run is another good run. I'm convinced it's going to be freaking cold all I'm looking for now is precip. Which we won't know till this weekend probably.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#78 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm really liking the aspect for a southern tier storm though...the gulf coast region will be the battlezone.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

DonWrk
Category 1
Category 1

#79 Postby DonWrk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Where would the precip need to develop to get a good storm going? The pacific, the gulf, moisture with front?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#80 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:04 pm

The north pole seems to have moved it's address to northern Saskatchewan after the intial cold surge!

That's definitely something you see in Siberia, not North America.

Last edited by Ntxw on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”