Texas Winter 2011-2012...

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#81 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:16 pm

gboudx wrote:For me, the 1st serious cold front will be the one that pushes highs down to 95. I hope that happens before September 26th. ;)

Looks like you're getting your wish this coming Monday! Mid 80s for highs after this first front!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#82 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:31 am

Rain.

We need some beneficial rains in the absolute worst way.

Anybody see anything on the horizon for North Texas or any other part of the state?
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#83 Postby Ntxw » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Such great outdoor weather. Aside from the fires, it felt like fall just beautiful. I can't wait for winter to be here and we can have those late night model watching about whether there's a blizzard in OKC, or a foot of snow in dallas, or 2 inches of wet snow palooza for Houston!!! FYI days and nights are getting closer to being even. Pretty soon the arctic will be open for business!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#84 Postby CaptinCrunch » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:25 pm

iorange55 wrote:I think September will have some 100 degree days, but I don't think several. I don't see any more 100+ degree streaks past 2-3 days in a row, once we get out of this one.

At least, I hope.

100 degree days for September 3-5. Remember it can still hit 100+ in October in Texas :)
0 likes   

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2011-2012...

#85 Postby iorange55 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:10 pm

CaptinCrunch wrote:
iorange55 wrote:I think September will have some 100 degree days, but I don't think several. I don't see any more 100+ degree streaks past 2-3 days in a row, once we get out of this one.

At least, I hope.

100 degree days for September 3-5. Remember it can still hit 100+ in October in Texas :)

Still no 100s showing up in the long term forecast, but it might be close a few days. Sadly, I know we can hit the 100 degree mark well into October, but I still don't see "several" 100 degree days left, which is what I was referring too.

Like NTXW, I can't wait 'til our first threat of winter weather. Staying up all night model/window watching.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#86 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:42 am

There's some good news on that front:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=d100permo

The most 100 degree days recorded within a single September was 7, in 2000 when we had that monstrous late-season heat wave. September 1956 had 6 of them, and the rest of the Top Ten is several Septembers with just four or five 100+ days. 2011 already had 3 of them. :double:

So basically, either the record holds, or we finally get to shatter a record this summer!

The best news of all? The record for 100+ days within the month of October is 1, and it's only occurred 3 times in history.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby gboudx » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:48 am

Right now, I just can't wait until our first real threat for meaningful rain. We have our cooler temps, now we just need the liquid gold from the clouds.
0 likes   

natlib
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#88 Postby natlib » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:41 am

It was 48 degrees this morning in San Angelo. That broke the old record from 1918! Now....about that rain.........
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#89 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:43 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#90 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:06 pm

No thanks Luis, I'll pass on La Nina. Tell me when El Nino is returning and that will make me happy. :)
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#91 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:35 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:No thanks Luis, I'll pass on La Nina. Tell me when El Nino is returning and that will make me happy. :)

NO THANKS LUIS!!! I'll let you keep it. Now if we can work a trade for all of your rain we could do a great business!!
I would be so happy to see an El Nino or at least a neutral regime!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#92 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:38 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:No thanks Luis, I'll pass on La Nina. Tell me when El Nino is returning and that will make me happy. :)

NO THANKS LUIS!!! I'll let you keep it. Now if we can work a trade for all of your rain we could do a great business!!
I would be so happy to see an El Nino or at least a neutral regime!!

I am more that willing to trade for rain for the Texans as we dont need it here. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby lrak » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:07 pm

I for one gave up on yard maintenance, and I was wondering how many of you have stopped the pain and let it die.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#94 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 pm

lrak wrote:I for one gave up on yard maintenance, and I was wondering how many of you have stopped the pain and let it die.

Most of my plants are dying. I have tried to keep the grass alive, but am not doing well with that so I will probably stop watering the grass too even though we are allowed to water 2 times a week.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby gboudx » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:51 am

I run my sprinklers every 3rd day for 10 mins per zone. For the most part, my yard is mostly green. I worry about the foundation, so if you quit watering, make sure you at least run soaker hoses around the foundation and water a couple times a week for about 30 mins.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#96 Postby Portastorm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:53 am

Well, we're down to one day a week watering here in Austin. I think I'm about to give up the ghost of the lawn. I'm fighting a losing battle.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#97 Postby ndale » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:42 am

Our grass is dead and now we're letting the small bushes die because they needed replacing anyway, the only things we are watering and trying to save now are some large bushes and our trees.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#98 Postby Houstonia » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:12 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
lrak wrote:I for one gave up on yard maintenance, and I was wondering how many of you have stopped the pain and let it die.

Most of my plants are dying. I have tried to keep the grass alive, but am not doing well with that so I will probably stop watering the grass too even though we are allowed to water 2 times a week.

I'm worrying about the trees. We water the big tree in our front yard, but it can't possibly be enough. We have a lot of plants in the backyard. The fig tree is doing well because it's roots are located right next to the runoff from the air conditioner. Most of the other non-cactus style plants are dead. We are surrounded by huge trees in our neighborhood (50 years old), especially a massive Pecan in the neighbors yard. I worry about those all of the time. Sharpstown doesn't have a whole lot of beauty to it beyond the trees, and if those go, it's going to be really bad.

We have a couple of large Sago Palms that are still keeping up rather well. Maybe they don't require as much water?

There are burned spots in the grass where the sun hits it, interspersed with better grass that is shaded.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#99 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Portastorm wrote:Well, we're down to one day a week watering here in Austin. I think I'm about to give up the ghost of the lawn. I'm fighting a losing battle.

To quote Metro Man in Megamind in reference to my lawn..."I'm done".
0 likes   

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

#100 Postby downsouthman1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Well, we're down to one day a week watering here in Austin. I think I'm about to give up the ghost of the lawn. I'm fighting a losing battle.

To quote Metro Man in Megamind in reference to my lawn..."I'm done".

The big problem is we are way past the growth cycle, so even if it started to rain regularly (which it won't), you would not see a full recovery of plants/grass this year.
0 likes   
Not a professional MET! My posts are merely speculation.

Return to “Winter Weather”