Texas Winter 2014-2015

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8241 Postby dhweather » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:16 am

3 1/4" in Heath, there are drifts in spots up to 10". Must have been blizzard like for a period of time.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#8242 Postby TexasF6 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:28 am

CFS2 has a snow foot/tail (1 inch) in Austin up through Mississippi in 45 days....sigh....sigh again....why?....sigh.....sigh again....good grief...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 likes   

veedub63
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#8243 Postby veedub63 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:30 am

sensoria wrote:Light coating of ice with a bit of sleet on cars and elevated items.... what a waste! I have lived in Austin since 1997 and have received under 3" of total snow for that entire time period. Eventually, it will happen! :cry:

Tough to get all the elements lined up for snow in and around the ATX. I'm glad we avoided a severe ice event. Bring on the spring weather (with tons of rain please)
0 likes   
I am neither a professional meteorologist nor an amateur meteorologist. Please do not consider any of my posts to be a forecast of anything. Anything I post that is remotely forward looking should be considered speculation at best.

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8244 Postby TexasF6 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:35 am

I am going to watch "Race for Your Life Charlie Brown!" and "Come Home Snoopy!" (1972) to deal with the lack of snow and sadness. :D
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8245 Postby wxman57 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:42 am

Portastorm wrote:Once again, North Texas and the Metroplex get all the good stuff and fun and Austin gets screwed. What a colossal epic fail. We must be cursed. #worstwinterever

Good grief! You're complaining about not having a big ice storm in Austin? ;-)

You knew you weren't going to get any snow there. Time to forget about winter weather and look forward to spring flowers. My azaleas are about to bloom
0 likes   

DFW Stormwatcher
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8246 Postby DFW Stormwatcher » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:43 am

6 inches of snow in Frisco, sorry the PWC & Austin didn't get to share in the winter weather fun again. Hopefully you'll get your turn next winter or what little remains of this winter:) Besides Portastorm, you get to live in Austin lol, we have to live in DFW all year long even when there are no ice events. Gotta have something natural to keep things interesting up here, certainly isn't the topography or large trees.
0 likes   
Disclaimer: This is not an official weather forecast. I am only an amateur weather enthusiast therefore any weather forecasts or opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Hook em Horns!

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#8247 Postby SouthernMet » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:48 am

RGEM & NAM-HIRES we're the big winners for north texas, although nam came around a little late in the game.

Honestly the RGEM was accurate for Austin too, with moderate precip and temps just above freezing at midnight and then below freezing by morning. Always looked close.
0 likes   
Nothing that SouthernMet posts, is an official forecast,nor does it reflect views of STORM2K.. SouthernMet is just adding to the great discussions on STORM2K.. Refer to NWS for official forecasts.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#8248 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:58 am

I did hear thunder one time during the night before 3am. It was 33 at that point. So I guess thunder sleet doesn't count. :roll: Bummer. My work is still closed, so i'll spend some family time. :wink:
0 likes   

WeatherP1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8249 Postby WeatherP1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:02 am

A few pictures from East Dallas this morning. We about 3" of snow last night, on top of a thin layer of sleet and freezing rain.

Image Image
0 likes   
The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely those of an amateur. For an official forecast I recommend your local branch of the NWS.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8250 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:13 am

Feeling for you Portastorm. You really do live in a difficult place for it, not far to your north and not far to your west often gets it each winter :cry:

Northern Dallas county seems to be the winners for this storm. DFW actually nudged up to 3.5 inches officially which makes it the fourth biggest March snowstorm per FW. Really the airport should have gotten 4-6 because everyone around them did.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8251 Postby gboudx » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:16 am

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:4" here in Allen... It's so beautiful.

6 1/2" in the last 5 days... cant believe this turn of events after all those 33 and rains we went through lol

I am totally fine with winter being over also...

Saw it all in a week. Freezing rain, sleet, snow, blowing snow, cold rain. Tonight's event would've been really awesome during daylight but we probably would've lost an inch.

Brent just needs to experience one of our blowing dust days when the sky turns orange.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8252 Postby ravyrn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:32 am

I think what needs to happen is we create a weather exchange program on S2K. I know there are hand full of DFWers who hate snow, and much more further now such as SScreamer (Where has she been anyways)? We should develop a weather exchange program so that the winter weather lovers who are in an unforgiving climate for such things can transplant themselves at the houses of winter weather haters who can do the same.

As a former DFWer, I feel ya Porta. I'm about 35 miles south of Tyler and I've missed out on all this winter's goodness too, though I did get a light dusting of snow last week.

And all of you Metroplexers better post lots of photos for all of us less fortunate than you, to live vicariously through you :D

We haven't seen enough photos/videos yet! And we definitely need a dog running through the snow video!
Last edited by ravyrn on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8253 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:32 am

The models have lost the +EPO signal for false spring. It will warm up (have you seen how cold it is already?) but without the +EPO it's going to struggle warming up above normal. Good thing for wxman57 normal in March is not Jan/Feb. But the models are already signalling another cold snap coming later next week.

By the way El Nino has been officially declared by the CPC. It began back in September and really got kicking weather wise in Jan and Feb. 2015 for DFW has followed the blueprint for it with colder than normal and wetter than normal, not just snow but liquid qpf as well.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8254 Postby ravyrn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:35 am

Portastorm wrote:WORST WINTER EVER!! :x

Porta, drive north! One of our metroplexers can buy you a shot of gray goose and Somethingawful can snag you a pizza!
Last edited by ravyrn on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8255 Postby dhweather » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 am

gboudx wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:4" here in Allen... It's so beautiful.

6 1/2" in the last 5 days... cant believe this turn of events after all those 33 and rains we went through lol

I am totally fine with winter being over also...

Saw it all in a week. Freezing rain, sleet, snow, blowing snow, cold rain. Tonight's event would've been really awesome during daylight but we probably would've lost an inch.

Brent just needs to experience one of our blowing dust days when the sky turns orange.

Yes, those are so much fun! Just like a tropical storm, except the "rain" is dust.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8256 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 am

measured about 4-5 inches of snow here. Everything looks so nice and fluffy, unfortunately I don't think I can rebuild my snowman from last week. but our storm total from the past week is about 8-9 inches. Pretty impressive end to the winter.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

fendie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8257 Postby fendie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:37 am

Over 3" in North Dallas:

0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8258 Postby srainhoutx » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:41 am

We're getting a little sleet shower here in NW Harris County.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8259 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 am

:uarrow: The license plate says "CHILE"...he he he
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#8260 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 am

Remember guys, its March. Crazy. In the 90's, growing up watching weather, we never had anything close to this.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Winter Weather”