Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#901 Postby wxman57 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
I am not Wxman 57...lol..but it means there is not a warm layer between when the precipitation starts as snow and when it ends up on the surface. With a warm nose, you get..snow...falling..then melting ( warm nose) and then refreezing...nearer the surface. That usually ends up being sleet or in some cases...freezing rain if it freezing up to 1000 feet.

Correct. Sleet occurs when precipitation encounters an above-freezing layer on its way down, followed by a layer of sub-freezing air. The rain freezes into sleet pellets and that's what we see at the surface. Without that warm layer (warm nose, because it looks like a nose on the sounding), the precip starts as snow and remains snow all the way down. That's what the Houston sounding indicates. The main question now is how deep will the surface above-freezing layer be. Currently, this above-freezing layer near the surface is about 2500 ft thick. Snow will start to melt as it encounters this above-freezing layer. A thick enough layer will result in all the snow melting before it reaches the ground. A little thinner and the snow partially melts before reaching the ground. This would result in snow pellets (rather than flakes). However, if the freezing level drops, as models are predicting, then the snow would reach the ground tonight. Surface temperatures would be above freezing, but the snow could accumulate on chilled surfaces, like cars. Streets would remain too warm.
3 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#902 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Ntxw wrote:Thank you for sharing those soundings wxman57. Defiinitely cold enough aloft for all snow.

WSW for Rgv20 our poster down that way.

MOS GFS and MOS NAM both has DFW at 24 for a low tonight. If clouds clear that seems like a good ballpark, if not then maybe closer to 28

:cold: Hopefully it snows until at least 9AM! Laredo is 35 and Hebbronville 37 and raining, looks like the heavier rain is indeed mixing down the cold air aloft.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#903 Postby lrak » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:23 pm

From CC TX NWS

Do not get too often an opportunity for putting snow in the
terminals, but this is one time where snow will be mentioned in
the terminals (at least in the TEMPO groups but categorically in
KALI and KCRP). Basically, will have some sort of precipitation in
the forecast through 09Z at KLRD and KVCT, then through around 11Z
at KALI and by 14Z at KCRP. Best chance for the wintry mix or all
snow will be KALI and KCRP
, especially between the hours of 06Z
and 12Z when the jet dynamics are strongest and the optimal
RH/temperatures for snow in the mid levels will be. Concerning
CIGs and VSBYs, will have a mix of MVFR and IFR, the latter mainly
for the CIGs. At KVCT, will mainly have VFR CIGs but TEMPO MVFR
during the afternoon through overnight. Based on time-heights and
MOS data (which can be a bit slow at times with these events),
should began to see improvements in CIGs and VSBYs (to VFR) about
09Z at KLRD and KVCT then by 14Z at KCRP and KALI (even earlier at
the latter). North winds gusty at time especially at KCRP where
winds will gust and be elevated when the winds are a bit east of
north and off the bays. Winds less gusty at KLRD and KVCT, with
winds becoming more NW late in the TAF period all locations.

:froze:

P.S. I think we only have 4 Storm2K members south of a line from Corpus to Laredo Tx
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#904 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm

NAM 18z

3km

12km

1 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#905 Postby wxman57 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm

The 18Z U of H sounding was sent to the Houston/Galveston NWS office. I've been in contact with Dan Reilly over there. It does look like the rain will change to snow tonight across Houston. The 18Z NAM snow totals map (below) is impressive, but I suspect it isn't taking into consideration the warm ground and the melting that will occur in the above-freezing layer near the surface. Still, I'm very confident we'll see snowflakes tonight. Best times still look like from 8pm or so through about sunrise.

2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#906 Postby Ntxw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Snow Miser or not you won't see posts like that from Wxman57 very often for you Houston folks. Frame it..savor it...

This always happens when seasons gets canceled before they happen :D
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#907 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Ntxw wrote:Snow Miser or not you won't see posts like that from Wxman57 very often for you Houston folks. Frame it..savor it...

I did and sent it to the Smithsonian Institute For Weather Prediction. They gasped, felt dizzy and fainted. What a day
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#908 Postby wxman57 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Ntxw wrote:Snow Miser or not you won't see posts like that from Wxman57 very often for you Houston folks. Frame it..savor it...

Heat Miser or Snow Miser, I've always said that if I really do see a chance of snow that I'll admit it, and I do see a good chance of snow across SE TX and much of the TX and SE Louisiana tonight and tomorrow morning. Next winter, though, my Heat Miser hand will remain firmly on the thermostat. Until then, I'll let you enjoy some winter weather...
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#909 Postby Ntxw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:53 pm

And to rub it in, places like Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Amarillo have seen none or just a T of snow thus far. Places in S and SE Texas could have them beat.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#910 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Been exciting watching this kind of fall into our lap the last couple days. It's not here yet. Boy am i excited.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#911 Postby davidiowx » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Been exciting watching this kind of fall into our lap the last couple days. It's not here yet. Boy am i excited.

It is certainly very rare to see this. I was thinking earlier how spot on the models basically nailed the flooding from Harvey. If they get this right (well most of them), that would be pretty cool to see.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#912 Postby Brent » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:57 pm

I should cancel winter more often. :roflmao:
4 likes   
#neversummer

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#913 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Brent wrote:

Yes you should sir. Mother Nature stated, Brent, I will show you!! Hold my beer.
3 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#914 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 pm

wxman57 wrote:

Heat Miser or Snow Miser, I've always said that if I really do see a chance of snow that I'll admit it, and I do see a good chance of snow across SE TX and much of the TX and SE Louisiana tonight and tomorrow morning. Next winter, though, my Heat Miser hand will remain firmly on the thermostat. Until then, I'll let you enjoy some winter weather...

You know, Porta just might get in on the act. Boy, would that not be a sight. I know he is REALLY downplaying this because he is worried he will get left at the altar, yet again..but you know....Porta, the PWC and Champ The Charger in the snow..frolicking..
0 likes   

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#915 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Brent wrote:

Winter needs to be canceled next week so we can guarantee it returns Christmas weekend.

So cancel away starting about next Thursday.
2 likes   

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#916 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:05 pm

wxman57 wrote:The 18Z U of H sounding was sent to the Houston/Galveston NWS office. I've been in contact with Dan Reilly over there. It does look like the rain will change to snow tonight across Houston. The 18Z NAM snow totals map (below) is impressive, but I suspect it isn't taking into consideration the warm ground and the melting that will occur in the above-freezing layer near the surface. Still, I'm very confident we'll see snowflakes tonight. Best times still look like from 8pm or so through about sunrise.

http://wxman57.com/images/18ZNAM.JPG

That map would put me in heavy snow ban. Our ISD just delayed class starts for the morning.
0 likes   

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#917 Postby Snowman67 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

wxman57 wrote:The 18Z U of H sounding was sent to the Houston/Galveston NWS office. I've been in contact with Dan Reilly over there. It does look like the rain will change to snow tonight across Houston. The 18Z NAM snow totals map (below) is impressive, but I suspect it isn't taking into consideration the warm ground and the melting that will occur in the above-freezing layer near the surface. Still, I'm very confident we'll see snowflakes tonight. Best times still look like from 8pm or so through about sunrise.

http://wxman57.com/images/18ZNAM.JPG

Wow. That map has the snow extending well inland beyond the coastal counties of SE Texas (i.e. NW Harris, Montgomery and Waller). This seems to be a change from what was expected just earlier this morning? Keeps looking better for us inland.
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#918 Postby JDawg512 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:17 pm

Ice pellets are falling once again. Just little tiny pellets mixed in with the rain.

2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#919 Postby Brent » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm

cctxhurricanewatcher wrote:
Brent wrote:

Winter needs to be canceled next week so we can guarantee it returns Christmas weekend.

So cancel away starting about next Thursday.

now I wanna figure out how we can get rid of summer... :layout:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#920 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm

My wife reports a good flurry around Lake Palestine. Yall down south of I-10 ennoy tonight.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Return to “Winter Weather”