North Texas unseasonably cool?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
hb905
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

North Texas unseasonably cool?

#1 Postby hb905 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:11 pm

I live in North Texas and noticed its been pretty cool for this time of year. When is the next strong cold front supposed to come through? And any predictions for what might come this winter?!
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: North Texas unseasonably cool?

#2 Postby CaptinCrunch » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:48 pm

hb905 wrote:I live in North Texas and noticed its been pretty cool for this time of year. When is the next strong cold front supposed to come through? And any predictions for what might come this winter?!

First let me welcome you the S2K,

2 major factor's will play a part in our Winter here in NTX. First we are looking at a warm polar winter, and second we are set to have a Moderate El Nino which brings NTX a colder and wetter patteren, just like the one we are in now. Our wet pattern started back in July with above averege rains and it has continued thru early October.
0 likes   

hb905
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby hb905 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:12 pm

What exactly is a warm polar pattern?
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby CaptinCrunch » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:52 pm

hb905 wrote:What exactly is a warm polar pattern?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/environment/75436-winter-2009-2010-a.html
0 likes   

hb905
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby hb905 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:44 am

By colder, and wetter pattern, do you mean a potential for a snowier or icier winter than normal? That is what im hoping for! I always thought that El Nino meant drier, but I was watching The Weather Channel and they were saying an El Nino in the south mean wetter.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#6 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:05 pm

hb905 wrote:By colder, and wetter pattern, do you mean a potential for a snowier or icier winter than normal? That is what im hoping for! I always thought that El Nino meant drier, but I was watching The Weather Channel and they were saying an El Nino in the south mean wetter.

To answer your question with a word "YES", El Nino means a better than average chance for snow and ice for the Southeren U.S.
El Nina, which we just had last year brings us warmer and dryer winters, ENSO netural years gives us a 50/50 chance for a cold winter, but other factors have to line up as well. Most of the ENSO netural winters tend to be average to above average with Temp and below average with precip.
0 likes   

hb905
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby hb905 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Okay, I get it now! When do you think we will have our first freeze? Im hoping for a cold snowy winter!
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:48 pm

hb905 wrote:Okay, I get it now! When do you think we will have our first freeze? Im hoping for a cold snowy winter!

The earliest first freeze recorded in DFW was Oct. 22, 1898.....31 degrees
The last time DFW recorded a freeze in October was Oct. 30, 1993....32 degrees

Average date for DFW to see it's first freeze of the season in November 22nd, however I believe we'll beat that this year.
0 likes   

hb905
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby hb905 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I hope so!
0 likes   

ntvinh986
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#10 Postby ntvinh986 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 am

hb905 wrote:I live in North Texas and noticed its been pretty cool for this time of year. When is the next strong cold front supposed to come through? And any predictions for what might come this winter?!

Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:47 am

Welcome aboard. We look forward to seeing more of you around S2K.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

WantSnow
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#12 Postby WantSnow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Hello. I am new to the board! I live in North Texas as well. I love every weather pattern we don't see often. Like rain and snow. :lol: So I was surprised to see it wetter this past summer/fall, and even cooler. It felt like snow has had its sights set on us this year. Out of curiosity I started looking for winter forecast and found this site. Seems like a cool place. I knew i couldn't be the only "fool" in Dallas wishing for snow. Hopefully the forecast are right, because the Bestardi guy or whatever his name is, seems pretty sure that we are going to get a lot more than usual.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#13 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Welcome to the site. Hopefully we can continue to provide you with the info, education, entertainment, etc. that you want. We look forward to your participation.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#14 Postby Portastorm » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:10 pm

WantSnow wrote:Hello. I am new to the board! I live in North Texas as well. I love every weather pattern we don't see often. Like rain and snow. :lol: So I was surprised to see it wetter this past summer/fall, and even cooler. It felt like snow has had its sights set on us this year. Out of curiosity I started looking for winter forecast and found this site. Seems like a cool place. I knew i couldn't be the only "fool" in Dallas wishing for snow. Hopefully the forecast are right, because the Bestardi guy or whatever his name is, seems pretty sure that we are going to get a lot more than usual.

Welcome aboard and glad to see you here!
0 likes   

WantSnow
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#15 Postby WantSnow » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:41 am

Thanks guys for the welcome :)
0 likes   

wx/ptx NORAD
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#16 Postby wx/ptx NORAD » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 pm

I think you guys were right about a cold winter! I was curious why its almost May and I am using my heater, It gets down to the 50's here in Arlington Texas. I am troubled by this weird weather. Also I think there is gonna be some tornadoes on Friday. Anybody have info on the chances of tornadoes in north Texas?
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby srainhoutx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:14 am

wx/ptx NORAD wrote:I think you guys were right about a cold winter! I was curious why its almost May and I am using my heater, It gets down to the 50's here in Arlington Texas. I am troubled by this weird weather. Also I think there is gonna be some tornadoes on Friday. Anybody have info on the chances of tornadoes in north Texas?

Welcome wx/ptx NORAD. Any severe weather will be discussed in the USA / Caribbean Weather Area...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107848
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Return to “Winter Weather”