Texas winter wx thread (2009-2010)

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
JGrin87
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9521 Postby JGrin87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:18 pm

ok, can someone tell me how to post a picture?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#9522 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:00 pm

JGrin87 wrote:ok, can someone tell me how to post a picture?

At the space where you make the posts there is this [img][/img].Between the two img's [img] :darrow: [/img] you post the link of a picture and that is it.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#9523 Postby gboudx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm

cycloneye wrote:
JGrin87 wrote:ok, can someone tell me how to post a picture?

At the space where you make the posts there is this [img][/img].Between the two img's [img] :darrow: [/img] you post the link of a picture and that is it.

This only works if the pic is hosted like on Imageshack right? It appears JGrin87 was trying to show a pic from their PC. I don't think attaching images is supported.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas winter wx thread (2009-2010)

#9524 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Did Ft. Worth NWS issue a report or a map detailing North Texas snowfall accumulations?
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9525 Postby gboudx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Did Ft. Worth NWS issue a report or a map detailing North Texas snowfall accumulations?

Yes.

0 likes   

WeatherNewbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9526 Postby WeatherNewbie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:45 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
wxman57 wrote:No, winter's not over, but it does look over for the Dallas area. The snow with this system will likely be across extreme northern OK and southern KS. It looks like it'll be too warm in the lower levels while the precip is falling over NE TX.

If you read the previous posts, it's only been mentioned that chillier weather (temps) regarding disruptions to planting, not snow. It's pretty clear the winter precip is in far NW Oklahoma to the central plains. Where is snow for Dallas mentioned?

However, looks like these cold intrusions are setting up a more active severe weather pattern. Just need the Gulf to warm up a bit to get that going a bit more =P

Posts were read - nothing about gardening on this page at all, just mention of Larry Cosgrove's article talking about snow potential down to Dallas. That's not going to happen.

Not going to happen, huh? :wink:
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9527 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Season statistics for DFW. I'm glad to have experienced it, probably won't see something like that in a long time again.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=wintersnow09-10
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9528 Postby gboudx » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:59 am

I was just coming here to post the same thing Ntxw. It was an awesome Winter for those of us who never see snow, and especially for those of us who grew up in the Deep South and hardly ever saw snow. Peace. :D
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9529 Postby Texas Snowman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:05 am

Ntxw wrote:Season statistics for DFW. I'm glad to have experienced it, probably won't see something like that in a long time again.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=wintersnow09-10

I think that as JB and others have opined, we're entering a more active period of time for a variety of weather events to occur over the next decade or so.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that severe winters seem to run in clusters. Not necessarily back to back years, of course, but a few times within a decade. The 1970s come to mind along with the extreme cold events in 1983 and 1989.

Hopefully, for those of us that enjoy winter weather, another good season or two is lurking somewhere in the near future!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9530 Postby Texas Snowman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 am

Also, I haven't glanced too far ahead, but there is often a last gasp cold front around Easter.

Any indications of that in the model pipeline?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9531 Postby Ntxw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:32 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Also, I haven't glanced too far ahead, but there is often a last gasp cold front around Easter.

Could be a mild and stormy Easter this year. It all depends on the speed of the storm\front progged to move through that weekend.

And I too believe we're moving into a colder period (weather pattern indications have said so). Even though it doesn't seem like it, the 2000s have been generous to us with snow (in Texas). if you include 2010, you average almost 40 inches of snow throughout the decade. The only other that comes close was the 70s. But to see another foot of snow from a single storm (at DFW) is very unlikely, but I can see how active winters can come along in clusters.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

txagwxman
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9532 Postby txagwxman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:Also, I haven't glanced too far ahead, but there is often a last gasp cold front around Easter.

Could be a mild and stormy Easter this year. It all depends on the speed of the storm\front progged to move through that weekend.

And I too believe we're moving into a colder period (weather pattern indications have said so). Even though it doesn't seem like it, the 2000s have been generous to us with snow (in Texas). if you include 2010, you average almost 40 inches of snow throughout the decade. The only other that comes close was the 70s. But to see another foot of snow from a single storm (at DFW) is very unlikely, but I can see how active winters can come along in clusters.

I am guaranteeing next winter < 10" snowfall for the season for Dallas, maybe less than 1.5".
0 likes   
“If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part.”

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9533 Postby Ntxw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 pm

:uarrow: If a la nina forms of any sort like they are predicting, you're probably right. But luckily for us, it only takes one storm to get us out of the miserable 0 :wink:. I have a gut feeling we'll have a lot more ice issues to deal with next winter season in the southern plains to mid south. Though the warm winters we've seen where 80s are common throughout Dec-Feb in Dallas and Houston I believe won't happen for awhile.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

txagwxman
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#9534 Postby txagwxman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Ntxw wrote::uarrow: If a la nina forms of any sort like they are predicting, you're probably right. But luckily for us, it only takes one storm to get us out of the miserable 0 :wink:. I have a gut feeling we'll have a lot more ice issues to deal with next winter season in the southern plains to mid south. Though the warm winters we've seen where 80s are common throughout Dec-Feb in Dallas and Houston I believe won't happen for awhile.

Gotta like this weather today though...

I hope we get some more next winter, but chances looks slim if we go to La Nina. Maybe more ice chances though.
0 likes   
“If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part.”

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#9535 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 am

0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#9536 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 pm

:uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :hehe: :hehe: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rofl: :rofl: :A: :A: :clap: :clap: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

gofrogs2
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9537 Postby gofrogs2 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:57 pm

You can just guranntee it months in advance as we know it takes just one big one.
0 likes   

gofrogs2
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9538 Postby gofrogs2 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 pm

i mean cant gurantee
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”