Pacific Northwest mountain winds - 115 mph

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
belltown
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Pacific Northwest mountain winds - 115 mph

#1 Postby belltown » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 am

I don't see much talk about Pacific Northwest weather so I thought I would post something. We've had back-to-back storm systems here in Seattle with another coming tomorrow. Had a lull today. Heavy rain/wind events are not uncommon in November but these have been especially strong. I heard a report of 97 mph winds yesterday at Hurricane Ridge and 99 mph winds at Crystal Mountain. I went to the NWS site to fact-check before posting this and there is a 'Significant Weather Briefing' that shows 115 mph at Crystal yesterday. Wow. The Olympic range is due to get 5 to 10 inches of rain from the next system that starts tomorrow.

Down here near the Seattle waterfront the winds have been significantly tamer, 25-35 mph, but still with gusts strong enough to snap trees and keep one awake at night. Rough ferry crossings and lots of whitecaps out in the bay.

BTW, we are lucky to get forecasts by Cliff Mass of the University of Washington. He has an excellent weather blog here: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”