Mid Atlantic Winter Storms 2009-2010 updated

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
attallaman

Mid Atlantic Winter Storms 2009-2010 updated

#81 Postby attallaman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:13 am

brunota2003 wrote:
attallaman wrote:
brunota2003 wrote:We just watched a multibillion dollar economy get slapped around like a rag doll by a snowstorm.
Explain.

Last weekend to go Christmas shopping just went down the drain, since people can't make it out of their houses, or refuse to drive, air traffic just came to a grinding halt for not just America, but think of all the international flights that just got canceled, diverted, or seriously delayed! Presents that were enroute that had to pass through this zone probably just got delayed on the day that they either ship or arrive, stacked ontop of the damages for downed power lines, removal of downed trees, and damages caused by the ocean (overwash, damage to repair roads, houses, etc).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we just watched everything get slapped around like it was nothing. Mother Nature just reminding us she is in charge, regardless of what season it is, and of how puny we really are.
Well it probably won't be as long or as bad as having to go through the aftermath of Katrina, I've been there, done it, and I never want to have to do it again.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#82 Postby brunota2003 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:32 am

I never compared it to Katrina?
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#83 Postby Stephanie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 am

brunota2003 wrote:I never compared it to Katrina?

I don't think he said you did compare it to Katrina.

However, I believe that you're right in saying that this storm totally messed with the economy since the Saturday before Christmas is I think the busiest of the year. Sure the majority of the country didn't have to face this storm, but the megalopolis and the millions of citizens that live here couldn't get out to shop.

Wait until I upload the pictures I took this morning. One of the tall arbivortae shrubs next to my back door fell over - that was the dog's potty path. We have to have close to if not at 2 feet of snow. I know last night when I went out to shovel to get Marty out it was up to my knees. This is unbelievable!
0 likes   

attallaman

Re: Re:

#84 Postby attallaman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Stephanie wrote:
brunota2003 wrote:I never compared it to Katrina?

I don't think he said you did compare it to Katrina.

However, I believe that you're right in saying that this storm totally messed with the economy since the Saturday before Christmas is I think the busiest of the year. Sure the majority of the country didn't have to face this storm, but the megalopolis and the millions of citizens that live here couldn't get out to shop.

Wait until I upload the pictures I took this morning. One of the tall arbivortae shrubs next to my back door fell over - that was the dog's potty path. We have to have close to if not at 2 feet of snow. I know last night when I went out to shovel to get Marty out it was up to my knees. This is unbelievable!
More pictures, I can't wait. Any that would look good as a winter snow scene on a Thomas Kinkade Christmas card? Since I don't see much snow here I look forward to viewing more of your winter pics.
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby Squarethecircle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:50 pm

There is so much snow here that the FCPS just canceled the entire three day week an hour ago.
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Mid Atlantic Winter Storm 12/18-12/19

#86 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Wow, stc, that is HIGHLY unusual for them to do. Just hope our school system doesn't do the same.

GL,
WLD
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby Stephanie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Okay. These three pictures are the "after the storm shot". Pay close attention to the first picture I originally took and the "after" shot. You'll notice the one shrub to the left is almost completely bent over. I'm hoping that after knocking some of the snow off of it and when the rest melts, she'll bounce back. I think I had a mini-avalanche from my roof that fell right on top of it.

The change in the depth of the snow about 18 hours in between the before and after is unreal. The bench in the second picture is almost buried.
0 likes   

attallaman

#88 Postby attallaman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Stephanie wrote:Okay. These three pictures are the "after the storm shot". Pay close attention to the first picture I originally took and the "after" shot. You'll notice the one shrub to the left is almost completely bent over. I'm hoping that after knocking some of the snow off of it and when the rest melts, she'll bounce back. I think I had a mini-avalanche from my roof that fell right on top of it.

The change in the depth of the snow about 18 hours in between the before and after is unreal. The bench in the second picture is almost buried.
Nice pics, did you venture out with a yard stick to see how deep it was in your backyard?
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby Stephanie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:43 pm

No I didn't, but it was past my knees, so that's at least 22". :)
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Squarethecircle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:19 pm

I went out late last night after the snow had mostly stopped, and we ended up with 23-24 inches.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#91 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 pm

That is just incredible snow!!! That would cripple us for months!!!(even after it melted!!!) :eek: :eek: :eek: :froze:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

attallaman

#92 Postby attallaman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:57 pm

Stephanie wrote:No I didn't, but it was past my knees, so that's at least 22". :)
Do you get that much snow every year? Again nice pics.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#93 Postby CajunMama » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:27 am

Fantastic pictures Stephanie! You've got a very envious friend right here :ggreen:
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby angelwing » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Well, I was so busy this weekend I didn't have a chance to go on line till now. Blue Bell got about 16 inches, Philly I heard got about 23 inches. I went to work on Saturday, got to the hospital at 7AM, it was snowing at a pretty good clip, looked out the window at 9 and said I'm leaving. It took me about 2 hours to go home from Philly (usually a 30 minute ride)people were sliding all over; I had 4 wheel drive and would have got home sooner if it wasn't for them.

Sunday, they plowed out parking lot at the rental so had to dig & clean the cars out, wasn't too bad, went shopping (Montogomery county does a lot better job cleaning then Philly ever did!).

Got to work today in NJ at 9, they were not to open until 11 but I wanted to get in, had no problems till I hit route 545, the turnpikes were clear, rt 206 & 68 were clear, 545 was snow covered and icy.

All in all I love it! I am hoping that the rain I am hearing for Christmas doesn't happen, I'd rather see snow on Christmas!
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby brunota2003 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Glad you all are enjoying the snow, and hope everyone makes it to work/home safely!!!
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby brunota2003 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Here is a beautiful picture for y'all to look at (there is also a link to the higher resolution image). Ignore the comments that cover the majority of the page...apparently people love arguing over whether global warming exists or not, over a picture of snow!

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/ ... 1&mbid=yhp
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#97 Postby southerngale » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Awesome pics, Steph! Enjoy all that snow. If you make a snowman, post a pic of him.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby Stephanie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Even with the rain in the forecast for Christmas, I'm sure that the snow will be here for a while.

I did make it into work today. The main roads were fine. The secondary roads were good in some areas and piss-poor in others. I swear that some townships need to take a lesson on how to plow. I couldn't believe how much snow/slush was still left in the streets on the way home from work. There was no reason for that - plus the schools were all closed. I don't know how some of them will open tomorrow because it's still pretty bad in some of the neighborhoods.

On one of the secondary roads that's pretty busy, I felt myself sliding and not slowing down even with my foot off of the gas. I veered a little to the right to get into some of the slush just to slow myself down a bit. :eek:

Yes, the snow is beautiful while it's coming down and you're playing in it, but not when you have to clear it or drive in it. There were still some a-holes that were driving like there was nothing on the road at all. :x

***I'M GOING TO MERGE THIS TOPIC WITH THE MID ATLANTIC WINTER STORM 2009-2010 TOPIC I CREATED AFTER TOMORROW.*** This way all of the storms for this area will be combined in one thread after they happen.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Mid Atlantic Winter Storms 2009-2010 updated

#99 Postby Stephanie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:52 pm

The December 18 - 19 storm is now combined with this thread.

We can continue to start a separate thread for new storms and once they have come and gone, they will also be archived in this thread - much like what we do with our tropical forum. :D
0 likes   

attallaman

Re: Mid Atlantic Winter Storms 2009-2010 updated

#100 Postby attallaman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:30 am

Stephanie wrote:The December 18 - 19 storm is now combined with this thread.

We can continue to start a separate thread for new storms and once they have come and gone, they will also be archived in this thread - much like what we do with our tropical forum. :D
Did you post anymore pics of your yard?
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”