Mid Atlantic Winter Storms 2009-2010 updated

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Mid Atlantic Winter Storms 2009-2010 updated

#341 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:18 am

What is so weird about the current storm in the NE is that it is moving WNW across the region as opposed to moving up the coast like most nor'easters do.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#342 Postby Stephanie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:49 am

It's doing a loopty-loop over NY. A strange system for a strange winter. Also, the snow was mainly on the south and west of this storm and the rain was on the north and east.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#343 Postby angelwing » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:49 am

Took me 3 HOURS to get to work this AM! 3! PA/NJ turnpikes were plowed, but the wind keeps throwing the snow back! Rts 206, 68 were a mess!

Now I see the warning has been extended to 5PM! And on the NWS page I see that Montgomeryville has 11.5 inches, from what I see here in NJ it looks like Wrightstown may have 4-5 inches, hard to tell with all the blowing and drifting!

Here is a current Winter Storm Warning for Blue Bell, PA (Blue Bell, PA) until 5:00pm, Fri Feb 26 2010, from your local National Weather Service office.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
1109 AM EST FRI FEB 26 2010
NEW CASTLE-CECIL-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON- OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-ATLANTIC-CAPE MAY-ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY- COASTAL ATLANTIC-COASTAL OCEAN-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-BERKS-
LEHIGH-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...ELKTON...PENNSVILLE...
GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...
JACKSON...MILLVILLE...HAMMONTON...CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...
OCEAN CITY...ATLANTIC CITY...LONG BEACH ISLAND...
WHARTON STATE FOREST...READING...ALLENTOWN...WEST CHESTER...
NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA
1109 AM EST FRI FEB 26 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...

THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON.

PERIODS OF SNOW... OF VARYING INTENSITIES... WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HOURS. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 10 INCHES IN THE NORTH AND 2 TO 4 INCHES NEAR AND SOUTH OF PHILADELPHIA.

WEST TO NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS IN THE RANGE OF 30 TO 35 MPH WILL OCCUR THROUGH THE AFTERNOON HOURS. THESE STRONG WINDS COUPLED WITH HEAVIER BURSTS OF SNOW WILL PRODUCE VERY LOW VISIBILITIES IN AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. THE COMBINATION OF THE GUSTY WINDS AND ACCUMULATING SNOW MAY BRING DOWN SOME TREES AND POWER LINES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED. HEAVY SNOW AND WIND WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE AT TIMES.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#344 Postby Stephanie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 pm

I didn't get a call last night saying that the offices were closed. I got up this morning for work and after watching the news and the traffic reports I decided not to go in.

The wind was whipping the snow around this morning and still is. It's hard to tell how much snow we really received. If the storm was over, then I would've made the trek into work. We were discussing in work on Wednesday that Friday was probably going to be the worst of the two days and we were right. Yesterday would've been alright to go in and get back without too much of a problem.

February can't end soon enough.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#345 Postby Stephanie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Snow ended at about 1:30 and there were some breaks in the clouds. Whatever was plowed/shoveled is now wet and clear - will probably freeze this evening.

Reports from local news said we had 5" of snow in Glassboro.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#346 Postby angelwing » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:33 pm

I left the base at 1...what a difference! The roads were clear to blacktop in NJ! PA wasn't that bad either! Now tonight will have to see how much refreezing there will be. At least the winds have died down!
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#347 Postby srainhoutx » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Be safe folks. Looks like next week will be tough as well. :double:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#348 Postby Stephanie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:29 pm

srainhoutx wrote:Be safe folks. Looks like next week will be tough as well. :double:

I know...HOPEFULLY it will stay south of us as suggested and the 18Z GFS is now showing.

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#349 Postby Stephanie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Well, the storm did contain a mix of rain and snow, but mostly rain. It was too warm for snow too. HOPEFULLY, we've seen the last of the snow for the year.

The majority of the snow pack has melted - I can see lawn! It almost seems strange. :eek:
0 likes   

tomboudreau
Category 5
Category 5

#350 Postby tomboudreau » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

I wish I could say we could see grass. 75 to 80% of the yard is still snow covered, with an average depth of 5 inches in the backyard, and several feet in the front yard. The front yard is not a good depiction of the snow depth, because the yards are so close to each other, that everyone pushes the snow off of their driveways into these grassy areas. I would be highly surprised to see grass in the front yard by the end of March.

Not sure if anyone else has heard this, but parts of Garrett County Maryland have picked up over 250" inches of snow this year! Thats over 20'!! I read that in an article over the weekend. If their is a massive thaw this year, I would not be surprised to see serious flooding along the Monongahela, Allegheny, and Ohio Rivers this year.

Its been actually a few days since we havent seen any snow fall from the sky.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”