Tips To Prepare For Long Duration Freezing Weather Events

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Sambucol
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Tips To Prepare For Long Duration Freezing Weather Events

#41 Postby Sambucol » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 pm

My house was built in the 1800s, and is on blocks. The water pipes are under the house. I'm planning on shutting off the water to the house and draining the pipes until the freeze is over. No way am I going under the house to insulate the pipes. Last year during the cold snap in January, I placed panels around the bottom of the house in front of the crawl space. None of the pipes burst, but this time freezing temps are going to last longer. Although it's very inconvenient, turning off the water seems the wise thing to do.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Tips To Prepare For Long Duration Freezing Weather Events

#42 Postby Shoshana » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:50 pm

This summer when we had our new a/c and furnace put in we also had all the ducts sealed, all the pipes wrapped and added stuff around the doors to keep the wind out.

Much better this winter! Warmer in the house and not as drafty. Still have drafts from around the windows (double pane) so we are thinking abt getting drapes and in the long run, new widows maybe.

And y'all up north would laugh at what I'm wearing now that it's in the 20s (F)...
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”