Snow Flurries For FL: Reports of Flurries/sleet in South FL

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#41 Postby ronjon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:35 am

NDG wrote:I have to question KMCO's current temp of 35, all surrounding areas around the airport just a few miles away are a good 4 to 5 degrees warmer.

Yeah, NDG seems odd - but we are talking about major airport and the temp was 36 deg at 1 am. Temps have been falling about a degree per hour overnight.
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Snow Flurries for Even South Florida This Weekend?

#42 Postby ronjon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:38 am

Current temps from FAWN - Orlando Int'l temp doesn't seem so far fetched now.

http://fawn.ifas.ufl.edu/
0 likes   

Bgator
Category 2
Category 2

#43 Postby Bgator » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 am

Can someone link me to the GFS? I'm getting tired here in Orlando, but if this does happen, I REALLY do not want to miss it.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#44 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:46 am

Look for the latest date, they go from 6z 12z 18z 0z in that order with 6z being early morning and 0z late night.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Bgator
Category 2
Category 2

#45 Postby Bgator » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:51 am

One more question (I'm usually a hurricane guy), how can you tell its predicting snow, like most people seem to be saying it is. Thanks!
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby ronjon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:57 am

Bgator, too late to rely on models now - watch the RAD and temp and look outside! :lol:
0 likes   

Bgator
Category 2
Category 2

#47 Postby Bgator » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:00 am

Hahaha. It sucks because accuweathers radar, IMO, is junk. And snow doesnt really show up on other radars. Its about 38 where I am on Orlando now, I would still like a brief rundown on how you can tell the models show snow and not rain. :P
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#48 Postby JonathanBelles » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:00 am

Im getting VERY small ice crystals (sleet) mixed in with rain here now. Mostly rain with a few pellets.
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby ronjon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:02 am

I'm in southwest Hernando County - RAD shows frozen precip but went outside and nothing falling from the sky. Still watching and waiting. My temp is 36 deg now.

http://www.accuweather.com/radar-large.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&site=TPA&type=RE2&anim=1&level=metro&large=1

Note that the frozen precip is advancing southward toward TPA - in central Pasco at 3 am.
Last edited by ronjon on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#50 Postby ronjon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 am

Bgator wrote:Hahaha. It sucks because accuweathers radar, IMO, is junk. And snow doesnt really show up on other radars. Its about 38 where I am on Orlando now, I would still like a brief rundown on how you can tell the models show snow and not rain. :P

Look at the SLP plot and 850 mb temp run. Where precip falls with 850 mb at 0 deg or colder you typcally have frozen precip.
0 likes   

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#51 Postby feederband » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:13 am

fact789 wrote:Im getting VERY small ice crystals (sleet) mixed in with rain here now. Mostly rain with a few pellets.

Im getting real small crystals here no rain...I dont know what i got I've never seen sleet or snow...Just under 35 here..
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#52 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:18 am

Usually if it hits your clothes somewhat sticks and melts, it's snow if it bounces kind of it's probably sleet. Anything else would be liquid form :wink:

Generally I like using intellicast radar's for wintry precip as it shows up better. Though not all of what shows up reaches the ground bc the air isn't moist yet.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USFL0438&animate=true
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby feederband » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:22 am

Ntxw wrote:Usually if it hits your clothes somewhat sticks and melts, it's snow if it bounces kind of it's probably sleet. Anything else would be liquid form :wink:

I think maybe a little sleet kind of in a weard mist though..It stopped...Radar showing some more moisture real soon..I hate going out in the cold...Maybe I should put on some clothes.. :cold: :lol:
0 likes   

Bgator
Category 2
Category 2

#54 Postby Bgator » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:32 am

Another noobie question, what are some general requirements for snow/snow mix. I know 32 isnt a set in stone thing. I also here dew points a lot, whats that got to do with it? Thanks. This is what i get from living in FLA my whole life. :P

BTW. I think Wunderground's radar is having some problems with what kind of precip it is...

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixed ... &type=loop
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#55 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:39 am

Bgator wrote:Another noobie question, what are some general requirements for snow/snow mix. I know 32 isnt a set in stone thing. I also here dew points a lot, whats that got to do with it? Thanks. This is what i get from living in FLA my whole life. :P

For snow the sky above you has to be below freezing (32) from top to bottom except the immediate surface. If the surface is 32 or below it has a better chance of sticking to the ground if not it simply melts on contact. For sleet there's a warm layer somewhere above you melting the snow and refreezing it before it hits the ground (ice pellets). The dew point is the temperature in which condensation occurs. The closer the temperature is to the dew point the more moist the air is meaning there is precipitation readily making it to the ground. If the two numbers are farther apart the air is dry and most likely the precip (snow etc) is evaporating before it makes it to the ground. This is why you see snow on radar but nothing looking outside. Look at the humidity levels they give a good indication of how moist the air is based on those factors, the higher the percent the better your chances.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby feederband » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:39 am

Very light drizzel right now...Very
0 likes   

Bgator
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Re:

#57 Postby Bgator » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 am

Ntxw wrote:
Bgator wrote:Another noobie question, what are some general requirements for snow/snow mix. I know 32 isnt a set in stone thing. I also here dew points a lot, whats that got to do with it? Thanks. This is what i get from living in FLA my whole life. :P

For snow the sky above you has to be below freezing (32) from top to bottom except the immediate surface. If the surface is 32 or below it has a better chance of sticking to the ground if not it simply melts on contact. For sleet there's a warm layer somewhere above you melting the snow and refreezing it before it hits the ground (ice pellets). The dew point is the temperature in which condensation occurs. The closer the temperature is to the dew point the more moist the air is meaning there is precipitation readily making it to the ground. If the two numbers are farther apart the air is dry and most likely the precip (snow etc) is evaporating before it makes it to the ground. This is why you see snow on radar but nothing looking outside. Look at the humidity levels they give a good indication of how moist the air is based on those factors, the higher the percent the better your chances.

Thank You. Regardless of if it snows or not, since I just got back from Miami, this will the coldest air I have ever felt in Florida. (I'm 19)
0 likes   

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#58 Postby feederband » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:43 am

Ntxw wrote:

Here the temp is 35, Dew at 28, Humidity 72
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby ronjon » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 am

Dry air winning the battle so far in hernando county. Nothing hitting the ground yet.
0 likes   

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby feederband » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:03 am

Had another blip over me on the radar.Went outside very small ,tiny ice...Watching them hit the car hood with a flashlight very small though.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images ... w_anim.gif
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”