Photobucket Virus Issues?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Photobucket Virus Issues?

#1 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Another large blog I participate in sent out a moderator warning today that Photobucket is experiencing virus issues. Sources are reporting the following information:

Clicking into your photobucket account will start a rogue program, antispywareprolivescan, which will attempt to not only scan your computer but also download and install a rogue virus Antispyware 2009.

Apparently Photobucket itself has not put anything on it's site as yet regarding this problem.

I don't know how to contact the moderators here, so thought I would post this information. Should they wish to delete this post and give their own instructions etc.., please feel free.

Just wish to get this information out there for your consideration and suggestions.

Best,
WLD

edited by vbhoutex to sticky
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Photobucket Virus Issues?

#2 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for posting this. I will not be using my photobucket account for a while. :oops:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:42 pm

More information on this:

The virus is intentionally planted as a "trojan" as a marketing scam and brings in a package that locks up the computer until you buy their antispy-ware and anti-virus program. But by then the files are corrupted.

It came in on "URL" from Photobucket - name seems to be "Rogue-AntiSpyware Security 2010" and rogue "Antispyware Internet Security 2010." with three layers of Trojans (fake alert); Generic and Proxy agent.

Curiously, I had this problem last month with our family computer but we think it came through Facebook. Our guy put the following on which has helped tremendously (free download, and not connected with them,lol):

http://www.superantispyware.com/
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4 Postby Portastorm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks very much for the tip.

I am well aware of the virus you reference. I spent three hours Saturday night killing that thing off our PC after my teenaged son went to guitartabs.com and got that virus on our system. It was awful. It attaches itself to executable files so every time you boot up your system, it hijacks it.

I found some good guidance online but it sure wasn't easy.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up!
0 likes   

slowpoke
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6 Postby slowpoke » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 am

i picked up that virus a couple weeks ago. malwarebytes removed it for me. havent had an issue since
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:29 am

Having dealt with iTunes billing due to my kids, I'd say not to bother, other than out of courtesy to contact them if you can (via email or phone and good luck) to let them know of the attached trojan. It's great your spy ware etc found it, as many computer set ups do not and havoc ensues. Perhaps this is a good time for you to review what anti viral, trojans, etc you have on your system, as it appears one can almost never have enough.

Take care, and enjoy the weather,
WLD
0 likes   

laimonas123

#8 Postby laimonas123 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks for value information, very intresting and usefull.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”