Texas Winter 2010-2011

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Texas Winter 2010-2011

#8721 Postby downsouthman1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:37 pm

That's quite an impressively deepening cutoff low after 120 hours on the 12Z GFS in the Southwest US & Northern Mexico. 540 thickness line is associated with it, even though it shows no real Arctic air attached to it.
0 likes   
Not a professional MET! My posts are merely speculation.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8722 Postby Ntxw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 pm

downsouthman1 wrote:That's quite an impressively deepening cutoff low after 120 hours on the 12Z GFS in the Southwest US & Northern Mexico. 540 thickness line is associated with it, even though it shows no real Arctic air attached to it.

12z Euro is still deepening it over the southern plains. I find it really hard to believe (if it stands) a storm this strong won't be a winter storm of some sort in the southern plains somewhere. I think over time (again if it stands) the cold air should slowly work into the models. Could be a surprise storm (much like March of last year) with cold air associated with it if it can cut off and maintain the 530s 540sdm.

Here's a link to that March 20-21st storm. Days before no one believed it would draw the cold air but it did somehow, Mr Wxman said no snow for Dallas ;).

20th
http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2010

21st
http://www.meteo.psu.edu.../NARR/2010/
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

#8723 Postby downsouthman1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Ntxw wrote:
downsouthman1 wrote:That's quite an impressively deepening cutoff low after 120 hours on the 12Z GFS in the Southwest US & Northern Mexico. 540 thickness line is associated with it, even though it shows no real Arctic air attached to it.

12z Euro is still deepening it over the southern plains. I find it really hard to believe (if it stands) a storm this strong won't be a winter storm of some sort in the southern plains somewhere. I think over time (again if it stands) the cold air should slowly work into the models. Could be a surprise storm (much like March of last year) with cold air associated with it if it can cut off and maintain the 530s 540sdm.

Here's a link to that March 20-21st storm. Days before no one believed it would draw the cold air but it did somehow, Mr Wxman said no snow for Dallas ;).

Wow, those images are amazing. I find it interesting that the GFS is showing this. I haven't seen the Euro, but also amazing if it's seeing this. This can be anything from a line of severe thunderstorms to something wintry. Time will tell.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#8724 Postby srainhoutx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Ntxw wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:When I saw that, I thought more of a severe event than a last shot at winter weather. Temps seem like they'll be too warm to me.

It could be, but my general knowledge is that systems with 552dm or lower tend to be winter storms especially underneath/behind the low (lower heights means colder air). I've never seen 530s dm not be a winter storm. They generate their own cold air and might not be seen far out (ECMWF dips the 540 thickness into North Texas at 174 but precip ends), if it stands in time it should gradually look colder and more detailed.

I could be wrong, this is just speculation from me to stir chatter as supposed to be on a discussion forum when all hope has but faded ;). Ahead of it will definitely be a severe weather threat.

This has the look of a major severe weather event. :wink:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8725 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:03 pm

It is interesting that some think this will be a major severe event and some expect a winter storm out of it. Unapproved Site.com is saying that it may not have all the parameters in place to become a severe weather event unless I misunderstood their video. I'm not sure what will happen and not about to predict anything till I have a chance to look at the models etc, which isn't going to happen anytime soon today.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8726 Postby orangeblood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Ntxw wrote:

20th

21st

Pattern seems way too progressive for any low to deepen enough to cause any winter precip around here next week.
0 likes   

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

#8727 Postby downsouthman1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

orangeblood wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

20th

21st

Pattern seems way too progressive for any low to deepen enough to cause any winter precip around here next week.

Maybe I'm interpreting this differently than you; nontheless, new model data is coming in so we will see.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8728 Postby Ntxw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:16 pm

^ It will either happen or it won't lol. There will be severe weather I think, and someone in the plains will get a heck of a winter storm whether it be Tx/Ok/Mo/Ne etc who knows if you get a low with a mind of it's own. You just can never fully predict one of those things right up until the low decides to cut off and deepen. PNA isn't exactly cooperating like the March storm I posted, but one just never know!! What I've learned this winter is that once you think you got it, you don't.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#8729 Postby downsouthman1 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Ntxw wrote:^ It will either happen or it won't lol. There will be severe weather I think, and someone in the plains will get a heck of a winter storm whether it be Tx/Ok/Mo/Ne etc who knows if you get a low with a mind of it's own. You just can never fully predict one of those things right up until the low decides to cut off and deepen. PNA isn't exactly cooperating like the March storm I posted, but one just never know!!

That's the thing about "progressive" patterns. If a low is truly cutoff, that pattern is virtually irrelevant.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#8730 Postby Metalicwx220 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Its is gonna be a warm snow. LOL
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8731 Postby Ntxw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Once again, 0z GFS shows a monster cut off storm in the SoPlains with more cold air now entrenched than previous. Given most of the heavy snow associated with it being in Kansas and Nebraska for now. We go through this hoopla with storms like this all the time! Wouldn't want it any other way :wink:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#8732 Postby orangeblood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 am

downsouthman1 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:^ It will either happen or it won't lol. There will be severe weather I think, and someone in the plains will get a heck of a winter storm whether it be Tx/Ok/Mo/Ne etc who knows if you get a low with a mind of it's own. You just can never fully predict one of those things right up until the low decides to cut off and deepen. PNA isn't exactly cooperating like the March storm I posted, but one just never know!!

That's the thing about "progressive" patterns. If a low is truly cutoff, that pattern is virtually irrelevant.

I probably should've mentioned earlier that the combination of the progressive pattern and the stubborn southeast US ridge is what should prevent any cut-off low from digging into Texas.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8733 Postby wxman57 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:40 am

Winter appears to be over for Texas. Thursday's storm will drop some snow from Nebraska eastward, but Texas will see only rain, thunderstorms, and some severe storms.
0 likes   

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

#8734 Postby downsouthman1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:32 am

Somethings definitely not right in the transitional phase of the GFS between hours 102 & 114. It completely loses the ULL somewhere over Eastern NM & West TX.
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8735 Postby orangeblood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 am

wxman57 wrote:Winter appears to be over for Texas. Thursday's storm will drop some snow from Nebraska eastward, but Texas will see only rain, thunderstorms, and some severe storms.

I think you're right Wxman57 unless we can get the NAO - and the PNA +. I think we'll need both of them to go that way this late in the season in order to get cold enough around here and that's probably a long shot.
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8736 Postby orangeblood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am

downsouthman1 wrote:Somethings definitely not right in the transitional phase of the GFS between hours 102 & 114. It completely loses the ULL somewhere over Eastern NM & West TX.

It's being affected by the Strong Southeastern US ridge and not allowed to deepen as much.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8737 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:18 pm

orangeblood wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Winter appears to be over for Texas. Thursday's storm will drop some snow from Nebraska eastward, but Texas will see only rain, thunderstorms, and some severe storms.

I think you're right Wxman57 unless we can get the NAO - and the PNA +. I think we'll need both of them to go that way this late in the season in order to get cold enough around here and that's probably a long shot.

I agree also. Dont know much about the NAO or PNA but my oak tree buds are starting to sprout little leaves already. The neighborhood yards are infested with weeds and some grass is growing. Dang, is it time for yard work? Seems a bit soon for that. That 10 day period of cold was quickly replaced with April type weather with no end in sight. :(
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8738 Postby wxman57 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:48 pm

gpsnowman wrote:I agree also. Don't know much about the NAO or PNA but my oak tree buds are starting to sprout little leaves already. The neighborhood yards are infested with weeds and some grass is growing. Dang, is it time for yard work? Seems a bit soon for that. That 10 day period of cold was quickly replaced with April type weather with no end in sight. :(

Fear not, this "April type weather" will be ending in a few months - replaced by the July-type weather that I love!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8739 Postby Ntxw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 pm

wxman57 wrote:Fear not, this "April type weather" will be ending in a few months - replaced by the July-type weather that I love!

With drought growing throughout Texas and especially SW Texas where hot air usually comes from, your 100+ should come pretty easily, and sooner ;). Should be your summer Wxman! A lot of the forecasters are already pinpointing the intense heat to be in the southern plains.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8740 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Ntxw, when do you think our drought will end? I don't see an end in sight and I hate Texas droughts with a passion!! :(
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”