Texas Winter 2010-2011

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2010-2011

#8761 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:50 am

wxman57 wrote:Neither the 12Z (yesterday) or the 00Z overnight European suggests any winter weather in Texas for the next 10 days. Move along, everyone, nothing to see here. Neither the Euro nor the GFS indicates any sub-freezing temps in the Dallas area. Leave your tomato plants alone. Winter is over...

Winter ended on Feburary 13th for Texas.... :ggreen:
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8762 Postby orangeblood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 pm

wxman57 wrote:Neither the 12Z (yesterday) or the 00Z overnight European suggests any winter weather in Texas for the next 10 days. Move along, everyone, nothing to see here. Neither the Euro nor the GFS indicates any sub-freezing temps in the Dallas area. Leave your tomato plants alone. Winter is over...

Pretty bold declaration wxman57 considering what's happened around here the past few winters during March. NAO is going negative and big heights are building in Canada this weekend - lookout early next week as there is potential for a potent cold front moving through the plains.

Edit: According to the 12Z Canadian, this weekend could get interesting across Oklahoma into northeast Texas and Louisiana. Looking similar to what the Euro was showing a few days ago.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8763 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm

orangeblood wrote:

Pretty bold declaration wxman57 considering what's happened around here the past few winters during March. NAO is going negative and big heights are building in Canada this weekend - lookout early next week as there is potential for a potent cold front moving through the plains.

Edit: According to the 12Z Canadian, this weekend could get interesting across Oklahoma into northeast Texas and Louisiana. Looking similar to what the Euro was showing a few days ago.

Ahh, don't let it bother you Orangeblood, Wxman57 just doesn't like winter. 8-)

I think he (or perhaps it was another pro met) said something similar back in January that winter should be just about over after the mid-month snow event in North Texas. Of course, it wasn't over by a long shot.

Is winter over in Texas? Models are back and forth a little bit on that topic.

But considering that it snowed several inches in central Texas in early April a few years ago - not to mention three BIG snow events in my neck of the woods in March over the last few years - I wouldn't be the farm either way just yet. :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

WeatherNewbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8764 Postby WeatherNewbie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 pm

orangeblood wrote:

fwiw, he said that last year and we got snow in dallas a day later. :wink:
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8765 Postby wxman57 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Nothing to indicate north (or northeast) Texas will have any post-frontal precip next weekend or the following week. Just some pre-frontal rain followed by cooler air. Typical for March. You could see another relatively light freeze or two up in the Dallas area, but that's about it.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#8766 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Yeah I'm not anticipating any hard freezes either. We might have a few mornings where we reach 30 or 29 degrees, but nothing crazy.

You can even see the evidence in the record highs/record lows for each day's almanac. The record low for today's date is 19. A few weeks ago our records were almost all single digit readings.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

amawea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8767 Postby amawea » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 pm

somethingfunny wrote:Yeah I'm not anticipating any hard freezes either. We might have a few mornings where we reach 30 or 29 degrees, but nothing crazy.

You can even see the evidence in the record highs/record lows for each day's almanac. The record low for today's date is 19. A few weeks ago our records were almost all single digit readings.

Yeah well, I've seen it snow like crazy at 35 degrees then drop to 30 and wind up with 6" of snow on two occasions back in the sixties. One was in southeast Oklahoma and the other was in Abilene , Tx. It happens. And in March 1973 we got about 11 inches of snow after the day before being in the 60's; (north Arkansas) I'm thinking it was around March 10th. My wife can vouch for sure as I had been raking and cleaning up outside and had brought her huge arrow head plant out as it was so nice. The next day I couldn't figure out what that snow cone was outside. Well... not good for me. LOL. :lol:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8768 Postby wxman57 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I still see no winter weather (i.e., snow/freezing rain/sleet) for Texas over the next 2 weeks, and probably not until next November at the earliest.
0 likes   

TexasStorm
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8769 Postby TexasStorm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:23 pm

wxman57 wrote:I still see no winter weather (i.e., snow/freezing rain/sleet) for Texas over the next 2 weeks, and probably not until next November at the earliest.

I agree. The models barely bring the freezing line to the red river on Sunday and then retreat back up into Kansas quickly.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8770 Postby Ntxw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 pm

All this budding of flowers, grass, and trees is taking on toll with hay fever. I need a hard freeze!!! Also had my first mosquito bite this weekend sigh. I am so miserable in this weather!!!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#8771 Postby jasons2k » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:18 am

Ntxw wrote:All this budding of flowers, grass, and trees is taking on toll with hay fever. I need a hard freeze!!! Also had my first mosquito bite this weekend sigh. I am so miserable in this weather!!!

Zyrtec is your friend ;-) Sorry to hear about your miseries!

Spring is beautiful!! I'll take this lovely sunny 70-80 degree weather over overcast and in the 30's any day! After spending two full days in the yard over the weekend I say 'no more freezes please & bring on summer'.

It felt SO good to break a sweat outdoors for the first time since October. I feel like a human again instead of a bear in hibernation :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:
0 likes   

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Re:

#8772 Postby Turtle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 pm

jasons wrote:
Ntxw wrote:All this budding of flowers, grass, and trees is taking on toll with hay fever. I need a hard freeze!!! Also had my first mosquito bite this weekend sigh. I am so miserable in this weather!!!

Spring is beautiful!! I'll take this lovely sunny 70-80 degree weather over overcast and in the 30's any day! After spending two full days in the yard over the weekend I say 'no more freezes please & bring on summer'.

It felt SO good to break a sweat outdoors for the first time since October. I feel like a human again instead of a bear in hibernation :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:

But once it's in the 100s, your going to want to stay indoors like a hibernating bear. :P

February didn't go above normal temps for me, but it was within half a degree of breaking even. Such a hot second half of February!
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8773 Postby orangeblood » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 am

If anyone wants to know what a fantasy Texas march winter storm looks like, I suggest looking over tonights Canadian run. :double:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8774 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 am

orangeblood wrote:If anyone wants to know what a fantasy Texas march winter storm looks like, I suggest looking over tonights Canadian run.

It's too crazy! I don't believe it until I see it! If the PNA can go a bit more positive and not just neutral, I think we can drag some cold down around that frame.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

natlib
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8775 Postby natlib » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 am

What is the Canadian showing and when?
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8776 Postby jasons2k » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am

Turtle wrote:
jasons wrote:

But once it's in the 100s, your going to want to stay indoors like a hibernating bear. :P

Nah - that's what my pool is for - so bring it! :-)

I'm like Wxman57 when it comes to hot vs. cold. I'd rather be sweating than shivering. Sure, I like the snow - but I never understood the pleasure in biting cold, numb fingers, red tingling ears, watering eyes, and snot running down my nose. Plus, cold & dry air makes my lungs hurt, so no thank you. That's why I live on the Gulf Coast now instead of Lubbock or DFW or somewhere up north.

Call me a freak but I actually enjoy the "warm muggies" of summer. If money were no object I'd move to Hawaii.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8777 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:56 pm

jasons wrote:Nah - that's what my pool is for - so bring it! :-)

I'm like Wxman57 when it comes to hot vs. cold. I'd rather be sweating than shivering. Sure, I like the snow - but I never understood the pleasure in biting cold, numb fingers, red tingling ears, watering eyes, and snot running down my nose. Plus, cold & dry air makes my lungs hurt, so no thank you. That's why I live on the Gulf Coast now instead of Lubbock or DFW or somewhere up north.

Call me a freak but I actually enjoy the "warm muggies" of summer. If money were no object I'd move to Hawaii.

It's all about age :P. I guess the older you get, the less tolerant you are to the cold. Younger people have higher metabolisms so are more likely to keep their core warmer in the cold. Equally, getting sun burned in the pool to where your skin peels, getting a heat stroke, or when your A/C breaks down amidst a week long heat wave of 100+ is not fun at all :cry:. It's nice when you can stay in doors feeling the breeze of man made cool air, but some (like me) will probably be working in it and sweating to death! It's only fun if you can choose to be in it :P. I seem to struggle sleeping at night when it's muggy. Talk about insomnia!

12z CMC has backed off again. But still has some dry, cool (freezing in some parts) air coming in!
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8778 Postby jasons2k » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm

I was born in Tampa with 'thin blood' so I never cared for the cold, to be honest. I'm not old enough for it to bother me that much though, other than it being a nuisance, unless you consider 37 "old" ;-)

I agree with you - no A/C would be miserable. I dealt with it after Ike but I was more miserable after the 1993 superstorm with no heat for a week.

I'm out in the heat a lot in the summer, working my tail off, but I admit it is by choice. There is such a thing as too hot for me too. I prefer the hot and humid that we get in Houston over the 100+ day-after-day regime up in North Texas. We went to Austin last July and I had almost forgotten what 105 was like and I don't really miss it either.

Anyway, I'm still watching too in case there is some late season surprise but right now I'd almost bet the mortgage that I won't see another freeze until fall.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8779 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of being without power in winter. But those come like once per 2 decades in TX :lol:. The no A/C seems to be every other year or every year if it you string 100+ days together :P. I'm not a fan of being in bitter cold either, I just like extremes. I do enjoy summer sometimes, if it gets hot I want it to be record heat without the humidity. :lol:

12z Euro says what cold? Keeps everything north of Oklahoma. Maybe a light freeze along the Red River.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8780 Postby jasons2k » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:11 pm

They lowered the highs for this weekend into the 60's here and a low of 37 on Saturday. I may not be doing as much yard work as I had planned. I'd rather it be in the 80's like last weekend :D
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”