Official 2010/11 Denver - I hate La Nina Thread

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Official 2010/11 Denver - I hate La Nina Thread

#81 Postby PTPatrick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 am

agreed. The weather has been so nutty...and I mean nuttier than usual. Today the temps have been strange, like, going up and down. Its more like the crazy march swings. It was like on minute it was warm today then cold, then warm again. And of course the below zero stretch was something else. Next week looks cold, but probably highs closer to 10-15 on the coldest day instead of below zero. Looks like 2-4 inches in the metro saturday night/sunday morning, then 3-6 again monday night. Not bad for february if you ask me. We might dig out of this snow deficit yet! Also, this is the stormiest pattern we have seen in a long time, starting with the general 8 inch snowfall in January. Its a nice change, even if the snow doesnt last long between storms. Unfortunatly it doesnt look last beyond next week on the long range GFS.
0 likes   

Dencolo
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#82 Postby Dencolo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:33 am

I kind of prefer the massive 8-12" dumps followed by a week or two of good weather, only to do it again. This 1-3" every to every other day thing is just not very Denver like. And they raised the snow odds to 80% today and 70% for Monday. This is kind of a unique pattern we're in.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#83 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 am

Dencolo and PT now I know the culprits of our CRAZY weather in Houston! What did we do to piss you off? :cheesy:
It most definitely has been crazy weather here and since you guys are upstream from us...HHHMMMM??? :lol: :P
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Dencolo
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#84 Postby Dencolo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:34 am

Well, I will say it's really coming down hard now. Accumulations are just about greater than I've seen all year. No Winter Storm Warning or Winter Weather Advisory up at this point.

Funny, the WSW's haven't amounted to much, the WWA's have been a little worst, but the most snow I've had has come during no winter statements whatsoever.
0 likes   

SCMedic
Category 1
Category 1

#85 Postby SCMedic » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 am

Forgive me for not posting much the last 2 months. This winter has really bummed me out. The 8" snowfall Patrick talks about in Denver was 2" at my house in Broomfield. Huge bust. Yesterday we sat on the edge of that snow band with clear skies east, and heavy snow a mile west. We scored 3" overnight and the wife said it was nuking around 4am when she got up to feed the midget.

Looks like today with the WWA, it won't mean much for us. SW/Palmer Divide looks to do the best. Mon night storm looks like 4-8" with the I25 corridor being the target zone. Drying up after that on the long range models.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby PTPatrick » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 am

I am not sure what Denver has gotten from yesterday and today's storms. We had about 2-3 with the surprise band on thursday afternoon....just light snow Friday. I left Friday for winter park though. Nuking up here ALL weekend. It's crazy. Headin back today so we will see. Sounds like east of I 25 hadn't done so well, and temps look like they have been pretty marginal, so I am guessing downtown might have had 3 inches of wet slush since yesterday. Can't wait for tomorrow nights snow though!
0 likes   

Dencolo
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#87 Postby Dencolo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:45 pm

7-8" new here on the Southwest side, as it was a favored area for this storm. On top of the 2" or so we still had on the ground, that's putting about 10" in my front yard.

A lot of times I'll wake up to what should be a snowstorm only to find out it's not snowing in the morning and the forecast has been adjusted downward. Complete opposite today. I woke up and it was really coming down. Good Super Bowl watching weather!
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby PTPatrick » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Well, I made it back. They closed Berthoud which sucked, had to go up to kremmling and silverthorne and then deal with th rest of the Ski traffic. It took 5.5 hours to get home from Winter Park.

So I my table has 4.5 new inches...it was empty when I left Friday, the ground is only about 6-7 in the shade so we have def had some melting/compacting. Going into last week in January I was up to 18 inches for the year.

With the first cold wave I got 2 inches
With the freaky storm thursday I ended with 3
with this storm I got 4.5

That puts the season total for me about 28. Normal for the END of february is 39. I dont think we will have trouble getting 4-5 more with the next storm tomorrow night, so I will probably stand around 32-35 inches. There will still be 3 week of February left then...so heres hoping we keep diggin out of our snow deficit. unfortunately beyond Tuesday looks like a more typical Feb dryness...no precip east of the divide depicted on long range GFS through the 22nd. PS...Looking at DIA's totals just reinforces in my mind that it is not representative of Denver. With almost every snow we've had they have had roughly half what I got in central Denver.
0 likes   

Dencolo
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#89 Postby Dencolo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 pm

Map of snow totals from last storm. Sounds like the one coming in now is going to make for a rough commute tomorrow.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/snow/ind ... 4&start=48
0 likes   

SCMedic
Category 1
Category 1

#90 Postby SCMedic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Models showing 6-12". NOAA calling 3-7". I'm going with us busting high. Tomorrow AM is going to be a crappy commute.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby PTPatrick » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 pm

both 0z NAM and 0z GFS show all of NE colorado solidly in the .25 to .5 QPF range...NAM backed off a bit as it did have us in the .75 range. Ultimately I think models are crappy at handing out QPF here in the metro do to the oragraphic issues, in most situations. Hopefully we will end up on the high end, with around .5 inches of liquid and 10-12 inches of snow. This should be a pretty dry snow, so I think that is quite possible. They are concerned about the banding and instability will cause more snow that forecast, and that seems like a valid concern.

Just checked radar and first wave almost here...and yellow radar echoes out of NE of DIA. Metro area should light up quite nicely when those winds hit the foothills west and south of Denver.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby PTPatrick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am

This first band means business. wind went crazy. snowing good now. just looked at cams and roads across arvada and gold already snow packed in less than an hour of snow. Only concern is that it may only snow heavy in th band and then just be typical old light post frontal stuff for a few hours. even with a short burst of heavy stuff, we could still come up short. definately going to be a "nowcast''

edit at 11:00: it's just crazy right mow. Wind still out of control, and I just heard thunder, which I think is rare with a system this cold. It's not uncommon in our wetter spring storms. I did hear it in the blizzard of 06 though a few times and that was a cold system so I guess it ain't that crazy. I am havin trouble goin to bed , it's so pretty to watchvthis fine powdery snow blowin around.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby PTPatrick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:08 am

seems like another bust. I got about 3.5 to 4 inches at my house before I left for work this morning. still snowing but doesnt seem to be adding up to much more. With the cold temps roads are trash but at least powder snow is easier to drive on than icy slush. Most of Denver barely looks like a plow has come through. Even Colorado blvd was snow packed. Hopefully we will get a couple more today...the disc said as much. It definately started out wild last night though. quite dramatic the way it blew in with the wind and sudden heavy snow.
0 likes   

SCMedic
Category 1
Category 1

#94 Postby SCMedic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:24 pm

3.5" at my house. Dry slot again during overnight hours. Enough already. One bust after another.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby PTPatrick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:06 pm

had another inch where I had shoveled today, so I would say my total came to just under 5 inches...I guess not technically a bust because my forecast had 3-7, and 1-3, so it just ended up on the low end. but the models busted.

Snow total for me as of today: we'll call it 33 cuz I dont like halvzies.

The way things are looking that should stand though the next 2 weeks :-/
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby PTPatrick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:28 am

From this mornings DISC:

AIRMASS LOOKS QUITE DRY SO NO POPS AND A BIT COOLER ON
MONDAY BEHIND THE FRONT. THE RIDGE ALOFT BUILDS BACK OVER THE REGION
ON TUESDAY AS TEMPERATURES WARM EVEN FURTHER. OVERALL...A DRY AND
WARMER WEAK AHEAD FOR COLORADO. THE CURRENT SNOW AND COLD WILL SOON
BE A DISTANT MEMORY.
:cry:

guess the La Nina of death with kick back in this week.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#97 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 am

Off Topic= For those who are interested about how ENSO is doing,here is the Febuary update by CPC and they changed the language from La Nina thru Spring to La Nina or Neutral by May - June. Link to ENSO Updates Thread
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SCMedic
Category 1
Category 1

#98 Postby SCMedic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Winter Cancel. :roll:
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby PTPatrick » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 am

No kidding....its super depressing. Oh well. We had a nice run in earlier this month :) Looks like a slight chance of precip in the 6-7 day time frame, and a bigger buck in the ridge around 10 days. Right now looks like snow...but that will of course change. I wouldnt be surprised if everything falls in the mountains with the flow predicted. We are getting toward March...Days are warmer and longer and rain vs snow starts to be an issues. I love thee season changes and I realize we can get most of our snow in March....but its just not the same as those really cold powder storms we get in the dead of winter where it actually stays.
0 likes   

SCMedic
Category 1
Category 1

#100 Postby SCMedic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 pm

The Monday night/Tues storm is trending deeper and further south. If this trend verifies we'll see one of our awesome March storms! Keep your fingers crossed!
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”