Deep South Fall/Winter Predictions

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

Deep South Fall/Winter Predictions

#1 Postby SoupBone » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:13 pm

So what do you guys think the deep south will see for the Fall and Winter? Cold/Dry? Cold/Wet? Warm/Wet? Etc.

I'm just curious because a few people I've been talking to think a cooler Fall but a warmer/wetter Winter. Any ideas/thoughts?
0 likes   

WeatherWiseGuy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Deep South Fall/Winter Predictions

#2 Postby WeatherWiseGuy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:02 am

SoupBone wrote:So what do you guys think the deep south will see for the Fall and Winter? Cold/Dry? Cold/Wet? Warm/Wet? Etc.

I'm just curious because a few people I've been talking to think a cooler Fall but a warmer/wetter Winter. Any ideas/thoughts?

Well, we are definitely in a La Nina fall and winter, and research indicates that here in the southeast that means warmer and dryer conditions. Dryer because the winter storm track stays further north; warmer because as a result we have more cloud-free days allowing the temperature to climb more.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:14 pm

WeatherWiseGuy wrote:
SoupBone wrote:So what do you guys think the deep south will see for the Fall and Winter? Cold/Dry? Cold/Wet? Warm/Wet? Etc.

Well, we are definitely in a La Nina fall and winter, and research indicates that here in the southeast that means warmer and dryer conditions. Dryer because the winter storm track stays further north; warmer because as a result we have more cloud-free days allowing the temperature to climb more.

Yeah, pretty much you are on the money. La Nina as been well under way since summer, given already how the pattern has been since July actually with below average rainfall for many areas of the Deep South. This is a moderate to strong La Nina season and it should last right on up until spring 2011.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

dwsqos2

#4 Postby dwsqos2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:10 am

I always hope for a furnace of a winter. Hopefully, my hopes will verify this year.

This is my dream winter pattern; I hope to see this repeat frequently over DJF.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2007/us1211.php
0 likes   

tshizzle
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby tshizzle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:43 am

nice little cold snap over the weekend here in South Florida :sun:
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”