My Winter Forecast for 2010/2011

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
NY NJ PA Weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

My Winter Forecast for 2010/2011

#1 Postby NY NJ PA Weather » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm

The following is my Winter Forecast for 2010/2011.

I developed this forecast via the following ideas:

1. This IS an East based La Nina. The strength of this La Nina is not in question as this La Nina is driving towards a very strong state, the strongest in 20 years at least. However the fact is that the anomalies at NINO 4/NINO 3.4 have flat lined or started to warm even and has not shown any sign of becoming colder since mid September. Meanwhile, NINO regions 3 and 1+2 (aside from a brief interruption in late Sept/early Oct) has steadily fallen and are where the coldest anomalies are located. This has a significant impact on forcing mechanisms.

2. The Cryosphere in the Northern Hemisphere is rapidly building and I expect the cryosphere (snow cover) to average above normal by the time October is done. This has a feed back influence on the current negative AO/NAO regime.

3. The combination of a solar minimum, ozone anomaly orientation, and stratospheric temperature anomaly orientation will support a weak negative NAO/AO pattern this winter.

4. Climatology of a strong negative PDO and strong positive AMO influences further supports negative NAO potential.

Pacific Northwest

The Pacific Northwest will be under a constant assault from storms coming in from the Pacific via the positive PDO pattern. The highest precipitation totals will be found along the immediate coast. At times, Arctic air will slide down the west coast of Canada and right into coastal Washington and Oregon states leading to surprise snowfalls. Moving further east, the storm track will shift towards towards Canada leading to eastern Washington and eastern Oregon missing the heaviest precipitation this winter. Above normal precipitation is expected along the coast and normal precipitation is expected over the interior.

California and Southwest

The below normal temperatures will develop not due to Arctic air or a persistent deep trough over much of the West, but instead by the persistent upper low along or just off the California coast. The upper low will keep clouds and the threat of precipitation a constant threat through the winter, but most times the heavy precipitation events will remain well to the north and northwest of this region. Precipitation will average near to slightly above normal here.

Rockies

I expect the Northern Rockies to get the full assault of arctic air masses through the winter, especially over Montana. The ridge that develops over these locations will keep much of the Rockies on the below normal side of precipitation, however low level Arctic/Polar air masses will still slide down along the east side of the Rockies this winter, which will lead to the cold anomalies.

Northern Plains

I’m expecting a very cold winter for the Northern Plains with near to above normal precipitation. The Northern Plains will be impacted by two particular storm tracks. The first will be Alberta Clippers that will bring powerful Polar and Arctic air masses into this location. The second will be when the storms cut up towards the Great Lakes leading to significant snow storms or even blizzards.

Southern Plains

A major concern for the Southern Plains comes via the potential for low level cold air bleeding down the Plains and stalling over the Red River Valley. The interaction between the dry, warm air masses over the Desert Southwest, the warm, moist air masses over the Gulf Coast of Texas, and the Arctic air masses bleeding south will lead to several Texas Panhandle low pressure systems developing this winter. I expect parts of Kansas, Oklahoma, and possibly even northern Texas will have to deal with several snow/ice storms this year. The primary threat especially south of Kansas will be ice though.
Further south towards southeastern Texas, there will be a threat through the winter for severe thunderstorms, especially when low pressure systems track through the Red River Valley towards the Tennessee River Valley.

Great Lakes

The invasion of Arctic air masses into the Great Lakes and Southeastern Canada this winter will also mean a high threat for Lake Effect Snow. This winter the development of powerful LES events will make headlines. Aside from the Lake Effect Snow, the region will be impacted by Alberta Clippers producing fast intense snowfall, Lake Cutters creating the heaviest snowfall, and for the eastern Great Lakes Miller B storm tracks.

Mid West through Ohio Valley

These locations will be on the deep cold side of the thermal gradient I expect to set up over the eastern half of the United States. Temperatures will average slightly below to below normal with above normal precipitation. The storm track for the most part will be to the south and southeast of these locations, keep these locations on the cold side of many of the winter storms this winter.

Mid Mississippi Valley and Tennessee River Valley

These locations will be impacted by many of the storms this winter. The strong thermal gradient between the Arctic air in the Plains and the warm, tropical air masses over the Southeast will lead to powerful storms through the winter. The storm tracks I’m expected include Alberta Clippers (southern portion of cold front), Texas Panhandle, western Gulf of Mexico storm track, and Miller B storm tracks.

New England

Compared to much of the Northeast and Mid Atlantic, New England including Boston will be the jack pot for snowfall along the East coast, not including the Great Lakes. New England will be under the influence of Alberta Clippers, which will transport Polar and Arctic air masses into this region, but also Miller B storm tracks. These storms will be capable of producing significant snowfalls this winter, especially when the Arctic air masses interact with the Atlantic ocean. Be on guard for energetic and powerful Alberta Clippers leading to surprise snowfalls.

Northern Mid Atlantic

The Northern Mid Atlantic will be on the cold side of the storm track most of the time, however each individual storm will have to be monitored carefully for precipitation types. Unlike last winter, this winter will feature many snow to ice to rain type storms or even just snow to ice. The storm tracks will be influenced by the state of the North Atlantic Oscillation. While I do not expect the same type of winter as last year, the winter will still be fairly active especially for the New York City metropolitan area. The type of storms that I expect include Alberta Clippers, Miller B, Texas Panhandle, and Lake Cutters. I am especially concerned about scenarios were an Arctic or Polar cold front stalls just to the south of the region, blocked from moving south via the Southeast ridge with disturbances approaching from the West. This type of set up could lead to a very dangerous set up this winter for snow and ice.

Southern Mid Atlantic

This region including Baltimore, Washington D.C., and Richmond metropolitan areas. These locations will be on the warm side of the thermal gradient. The powerful Nor’ Easters/Miller A storms of last year will be extremely rare. I can’t rule one out, but the chances of such a storm are slim with this type of set up, if anything your best shot of a snow storm will have to wait until March when La Nina should weaken slightly. Overall, those in the Southern Mid Atlantic will be frustrated with Miller B storms redeveloping too far northeast to produce any meaningful precipitation or will be caught on the very warm side of a Lake Cutter storm track. The Southern Mid Atlantic will average near to slightly above normal with most locations averaging 0.5 to 1.0 degrees above normal. As a result, snowfall totals and precipitation totals as a whole will average below normal. However, there will be times when the Southeast ridge is able to really flex that Spring like conditions can be expected and even severe weather is possible.

Southeast and Gulf Coast

These locations will be under the powerful influence of the Southeast/Bahamas ridge this year. Basically the best way to describe this winter is to get your golf game ready because you’ll have no problem getting to the course on a regular basis. One issue that will have to be monitored is the threat for significant severe thunderstorm outbreaks. As for the winter, I would not be surprised if much of the Southeast coast and Gulf Coast record no days below freezing this winter.

SOURCE:

http://www.nynjpaweather.com/public-win ... or-201011/
0 likes   
Let the Water Vapor Satellite lead the way!

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: My Winter Forecast for 2010/2011

#2 Postby Portastorm » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Very nice comprehensive discussion. Good luck on your forecast!

Of course, I hope that the cold air bleeds a little further some a few times than what you envision, so I hope you bust your forecast there! :lol:

NY NJ PA Weather, as far as I can tell this is an S2K first. We have a legitimate pro met sharing a winter forecast with us. Don Sutherland does on occasion but I'm not sure if he is a pro met or not. Thanks again for sharing and look forward to more of your thoughts.
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Residing in the Mid-Atlantic, I'm delighted with your words, recognizing they are a forecast. Thank you for taking the time to write a potential one up and posting it here.

Since we had something like 67 inches around D.C. last year, I'm more than willing to let those hardy New Englanders get this year's snow trophy. That will keep the skiers happy, and it helps the local economy too.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:59 pm

What a fantastic read! One of the most comprehensive, in depth forecast I have seen in a long time on this forum. Looking forward to your input throughout this winter!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

andrewsurvivor
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby andrewsurvivor » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Thank you so much for your post. I've been following discussions on this great site for years and never have seen such a well worded, comprehensive and informative forecast. Looking forward to future posts. Reading your forecast for us down in Florida reminds me why we put up with summer and playing hurricane dodgeball.
0 likes   
Cat 5

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm

A very good post indeed, and I as well look forward to your winter wisdom :ggreen:
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby TwisterFanatic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:32 am

Great Read! Though this is the first winter forecast that i have seen that predicts snow/ice events for Oklahoma.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Stormcenter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:05 am

I believe they are predicting the first freeze/frost in early Nov. for the deep south.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby TwisterFanatic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Stormcenter wrote:I believe they are predicting the first freeze/frost in early Nov. for the deep south.

Here in Eastern Oklahoma they are predicting a freeze Friday Morning.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NY NJ PA Weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby NY NJ PA Weather » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:37 pm

So far my thoughts on how I thought the atmosphere would evolve is right on track going into November. The month of November is going to be VERY active for much of the nation going forward. Would not be surprised if many have cold turkeys for Thanksgiving.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Stephanie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for your forecast for this upcoming Winter. I'm not too thrilled with any kind of storm that has ice in it, but you have to expect it around here.

PLUS, I'm glad that I'm getting a forecast from someone from my neck of the woods. :ggreen:
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby angelwing » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:07 am

Stephanie wrote:Thank you SO MUCH for your forecast for this upcoming Winter. I'm not too thrilled with any kind of storm that has ice in it, but you have to expect it around here.

PLUS, I'm glad that I'm getting a forecast from someone from my neck of the woods. :ggreen:

:uarrow: :uarrow: :uarrow:

Same here! Love his forecasts:)
0 likes   

NY NJ PA Weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13 Postby NY NJ PA Weather » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:18 am

Thus far the frequent development of coastal storms, specifically Miller B storms continues to remain an active theme this late fall. If this was in September I wouldn't put much weight on this observation, but we are in the first week of November and it is telling. I think as long as the NAO remains between 0.5 and -0.5, there are going to be plenty of chances for several Miller B typic storms, especially for the Northern Mid Atlantic and Northeast.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Stephanie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Frost has finally killed my annuals this past week and the window scraper is out.
0 likes   

NY NJ PA Weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#15 Postby NY NJ PA Weather » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:23 am

At this point, I really like where I am standing with this winter forecast. The constant negative NAO state into November now shows the power of solar influences overriding the positive QBO influences. Meanwhile, the MJO clearly is taking on the influences of an east based La Nina.

Big wild card here are these volcanoes going off. Hard to measure exactly how much and when these volcanoes will have an impact on the overall pattern for the winter, but needless we are going to have to keep an eye on these events.

I'm expecting a major Polar/Arctic invasion around Thanksgiving over the Plains, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley, and then a bleed into New England and the Northern Mid Atlantic. Could be some major travel headaches from the Southern Plains into the Tennessee River Valley, Ohio Valley, and Northern Mid Atlantic. End of this month is going to be VERY active.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#16 Postby Ivanhater » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:04 pm

NY NJ PA Weather wrote:The following is my Winter Forecast for 2010/2011.

Southeast and Gulf Coast

These locations will be under the powerful influence of the Southeast/Bahamas ridge this year. Basically the best way to describe this winter is to get your golf game ready because you’ll have no problem getting to the course on a regular basis. One issue that will have to be monitored is the threat for significant severe thunderstorm outbreaks. As for the winter, I would not be surprised if much of the Southeast coast and Gulf Coast record no days below freezing this winter.

SOURCE:

http://www.nynjpaweather.com/public-win ... or-201011/

Grinch :grr:
0 likes   
Michael

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#17 Postby wxman57 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 am

One disagreement I have with the forecast is the placement of the above normal region over Florida. I'd put it farther west into Texas and New Mexico. I'm thinking a persistent East U.S. trof will bring the cold air south into Florida, too.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#18 Postby Portastorm » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 am

wxman57 wrote:One disagreement I have with the forecast is the placement of the above normal region over Florida. I'd put it farther west into Texas and New Mexico. I'm thinking a persistent East U.S. trof will bring the cold air south into Florida, too.

Looking for that NAO to be negative much of the winter, are you Wxman57?
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#19 Postby wxman57 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Portastorm wrote:
wxman57 wrote:One disagreement I have with the forecast is the placement of the above normal region over Florida. I'd put it farther west into Texas and New Mexico. I'm thinking a persistent East U.S. trof will bring the cold air south into Florida, too.

Looking for that NAO to be negative much of the winter, are you Wxman57?

Depends on the location of that East U.S. trof. Trof axis could be farther west, meaning a +NAO. I'm no NAO forecast expert, though.
0 likes   

NY NJ PA Weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#20 Postby NY NJ PA Weather » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Well, I get the idea of warmer than normal in New Mexico, however I am a bit concerned about shallow Arctic air intrusion into Texas, especially between Dallas and the Red River.

The trough idea for the Polar jet stream is reasonable with a negative NAO, but I don't think the SE ridge over the Bahamas is going to give way so easily, thus the warmer than normal temperatures in the Southeast. Looking for a significant clash of air masses for the Mid Atlantic as a result.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”