Cold Snap for Central Plains Third Week of Nov.?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Cold Snap for Central Plains Third Week of Nov.?

#1 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Ive seen Accuweather jump on the bandwagon and i have looked at a few interesting runs on the GFS. I know it's still very early for anything substantial, but you cant blame me for being excited about our first cold snap! :) On the GFS, the Siberian high seems to be in the right location for ushering cold air into Texas without killing all the moisture.

Nice to be back for winter time :)

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... p_288l.gif

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... p_348l.gif
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Cold Snap for Central Plains Third Week of Nov.?

#2 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:54 pm

The models have been sniffing this pattern change since last week. I suspect that there is something to it as the GFS and to some extent, the Euro is onboard. Could make for an interesting Thanksgiving for may folks. :cold:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 pm

i agree, i hope we can get some moisture in the mix too. Its not a bad cold snap for late November. A bit too much to ask for snow? The only time i remember a cold snowy/icy Thanksgiving was in 1993 when the cowboys played in heavy sleet
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#4 Postby Ntxw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:45 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:i agree, i hope we can get some moisture in the mix too. Its not a bad cold snap for late November. A bit too much to ask for snow? The only time i remember a cold snowy/icy Thanksgiving was in 1993 when the cowboys played in heavy sleet

It probably is too early to look for snow not to say it hasn't happened before, it's just not likely. But what you want to look for here is the pattern set up/change and model consistency between the globals.

Looking at it beyond lets 100+ hours won't be very reliable to say 'it could snow here and here' as more times than not it won't happen. Look for setups and trends ;) I think it could be in our favor.

Looks chilly for the southern plains down to the deep south to parts of Florida.

Larry Cosgrove out of Houston is very good at explaining how things set up and what to look for. Here's a link to his site as I enjoy reading his WeatherAmerica analysis over the weekends.

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-houston/larry-cosgrove
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 am

yea i keep up with Cosgrove alot. He's my fb friend so i see his updates all the time! It looks to be quite funky that weekend, unfortunately i'll be in vegas that weekend
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6 Postby Portastorm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:51 am

The pattern looks like it will be "there" in terms of capable of delivering what kind of airmass is in Canada. Major-league troughing will be fairly consistent over the central and eastern US for the latter half of November. Should be fun and interesting!
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:42 am

So this possible cold snap around Thanksgiving, for a "La Nina" year that's typcial right? Then it tends to warm up after that? Just trying to remember what all I have read. Cold early on then warm.......

Can't wait for the cold be it in a few weeks or later on. :cold:
Last edited by HockeyTx82 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:31 am

i think with La nina, we typically have a drier winter, and an early spring. Im trying to look for old weather archives to compare the analogs too
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9 Postby Portastorm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Analogs are going to be tough this winter. We have a nearly historic cold Nina ... solar activity has been at a minimum ... lots of conflicting signals. Check out what pro met NY NJ PA Weather said in his winter forecast thread:

NY NJ PA Weather wrote:At this point, I really like where I am standing with this winter forecast. The constant negative NAO state into November now shows the power of solar influences overriding the positive QBO influences. Meanwhile, the MJO clearly is taking on the influences of an east based La Nina.

Big wild card here are these volcanoes going off. Hard to measure exactly how much and when these volcanoes will have an impact on the overall pattern for the winter, but needless we are going to have to keep an eye on these events.

I'm expecting a major Polar/Arctic invasion around Thanksgiving over the Plains, Great Lakes, Ohio Valley, and then a bleed into New England and the Northern Mid Atlantic. Could be some major travel headaches from the Southern Plains into the Tennessee River Valley, Ohio Valley, and Northern Mid Atlantic. End of this month is going to be VERY active.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:15 pm

The euro is starting to show it in long range. Ensembles agree. Very impressive for late November lots of well below average anomalies for much of the country, looks like old man winter is on the move.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:53 pm

i can never understand the Euro maps :( GFS and 500MB vorticity etc , no problem, but the euro...i dont know how to read
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby srainhoutx » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:38 pm

:cold:

0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Wow, that is pretty bullish from the CPC! It is not often that you see them highlight such a large area of 60-70%+ chances of below normal temperatures right over the plains.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#14 Postby Ntxw » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Hmm, always thought the CPC was conservative, odd to see. The 8-14 day outlook is similar also. You know, I know this may be a bit off topic and not in the correct place, but something just makes me wonder if mother nature is somehow playing with our heads. That volcano down in Indonesia is really making me double think about the cold this winter...
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:28 am

i agree with you, the volcanoes can throw a wrench in our plans. I was expecting a warm winter and was fine with it since we had plenty of winter precip last year to hold me over :), but the pattern of La Nina can still promise large Arctic fronts like this. weather the moisture is there is the question, need to watch the MJO. Still very far out though. The 06Z just pushed it back to the monday thanksgiving week. Jusy need to keep an eye on it
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”