British winter

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
AmanziUK
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

British winter

#1 Postby AmanziUK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 pm

We are still in the deep freeze here! The temps have been brutal. Parts of Scotland have dipped below -20c and here on the outskirts of london, -6 with a high of -3 tomorrow. This pattern has been set in for at least the last 10 days and the resulting snow seems to have come from home grown convection off the North sea and low pressure undercutting from the south. We will have to see how the pattern holds, GFS wants to bring the Atlantic in then rebuild heights from the North again. Generally speaking in a LaNina year the early part of winter is cold then it trends warmer to above average (thats Joe B's take on it for Europe). We will see though. I dont think this cold air is going to win out.

If someone will let me know how to download photos, I will add some. Dont know how to do the image shack thiny. :lol:
0 likes   

amawea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: British winter

#2 Postby amawea » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Stay warm AmanziUK. How much snow have you gotten?
0 likes   

AmanziUK
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby AmanziUK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 pm

So far we have 24cm... quite something for our area. I forgot what warm was when I moved here from south africa! :cheesy:
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby abajan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:11 pm

And it’s not even officially Winter yet! Buckle up and bundle up!
This message brought to you by abajan in warm & sunny Barbados. :lol:
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby srainhoutx » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:43 pm

I spoke to friends in Manchester, UK today. They have 8 inches of snow on the ground. They reported up to 3 feet in areas of Scotland... :double:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 pm

I know this is unusual, but does Britain normally have snow or not? Always wondered what winter was like there typically.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Stephanie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:51 pm

It seems like Britain is looking more and more like a Dicken's Christmas Carol this year. My goodness!
0 likes   

AmanziUK
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#8 Postby AmanziUK » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:57 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:I know this is unusual, but does Britain normally have snow or not? Always wondered what winter was like there typically.

I have not lived here very long (in the Uk), but going from past archives, it seems that the '00 were rather snowless for the south east of England (london), however if you go back to the year dot, it did record rather snowy patterns. This year we have had cold weather dropping down from the pole (N) direction which brought bitterly cold weather and an unstable atmosphere, so snow pop's up at short notice. The average climate is maratime so it would be similar to say Seattle. Joe B is adamant that our cold will be going now and heading south of the UK. Must admit Im ok with that as we have not been over 1c in a very long time and my heating bill is going to be massive, also that lovely orb in the sky that brings warmth has not been seen in at least 4 weeks...I kid you not, I have forgotten what the sun looks like!
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:13 pm

It is really cold in Great Britain.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”