Midwest/Great Lakes storm - December 10 to 13

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
utweather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Midwest/Great Lakes storm - December 10 to 13

#21 Postby utweather » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:16 am

Portastorm wrote:The Patriots-Bears game tomorrow ought to be a real fun one. Weather at kickoff is supposed to be heavy snow, winds 30-35 mph out of the northwest gusting to 55 mph, and temperatures near 20 degrees!

Enjoy your snowstorm, folks. I'm jealous! :ggreen:

Wow! What a storm! Metrodome goes down!
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... dome-roof/
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#22 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:31 pm

You know, a foot and a half of snow isn't THAT much. We had 14" here in Dallas where we'd never build a roof to expect more than an inch, and we didn't have any problems. And I think our accidents and road closure/airport closures were the same as MSP's. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm never going to accept another iota of crap from a northerner who says we can't handle snow. :D :wink: 8-)
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby psyclone » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 pm

it would be real interesting to see a comparison of the water content of that dallas snowfall vs the minneapolis snow yesterday. the MN snow looked real dry and powdery... a lower water content snow. plus it was blowing like crazy. one would think a good deal of the snow would have blown off the roof. i guess i'm a little surprised at the roof failure too.
0 likes   

tomboudreau
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby tomboudreau » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:53 pm

If the wind had ripped into part of the dome roof and caused some of the damage before the collapse, then it would be real easy for the roof to give under the weight of any snow that was up there. It will be up to the structural engineers to figure out what happened to the roof.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#25 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 pm

somethingfunny wrote:You know, a foot and a half of snow isn't THAT much. We had 14" here in Dallas where we'd never build a roof to expect more than an inch, and we didn't have any problems. And I think our accidents and road closure/airport closures were the same as MSP's. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm never going to accept another iota of crap from a northerner who says we can't handle snow. :D :wink: 8-)

I think the wind had more to do with it than snow in MSP. Just my personal guess. The Cowboys practice facility is also an air supported facility that fell to the winds in a storm.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Wow. Look at the Bears/Patriots game. Goodness the snow coming down.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”