This year white christmas versus last year's

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
frigidice77

This year white christmas versus last year's

#1 Postby frigidice77 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Last year 2/3 of the country saw a white christmas. Does anyone think this year white christmas coverage may beat last year. By the way at this point it is starting colder than last year.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: This year white christmas versus last years

#2 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:43 pm

I think the extensive cold will be there much of the country but I don't think there will be as much snow cover, maybe 1/2 of the country for Christmas. In general La Ninas are colder up north in the source regions than El Nino so when the jet stream does buckle there's a lot of cold air to come down, but a lot of it is dry cold not the chill due to extensive cloud cover and precip. Many of the experts did predict a chilly December and a warmer second half to winter so it is not a total shock. However the wild cards of blocking sure is strange...

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#3 Postby wxman57 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 am

Without an active southern storm track this December, it appears only the northern U.S. will see a White Christmas. Maybe even a little less coverage than that map above.
0 likes   

frigidice77

#4 Postby frigidice77 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:34 pm

I always thought it was the opposite with more snow in la nina than el nino.I also would love to know how Joe bastardi did that. I read his winter predictions from last year and magically he knew that 2 or 3 big storms would give NYC 75% above their average snow. :D :D :D :D
0 likes   

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Tstormwatcher » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

With all this cold weather around, I would love to see the southern storm track heat up.
0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#6 Postby NC George » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Tstormwatcher wrote:With all this cold weather around, I would love to see the southern storm track heat up.

Let me fix that for you:

With all this cold weather around, I would love to see the south heat up.
0 likes   
Bertha '96, Fran '96, Bonnie '98, Dennis '99, Floyd '99 :eek: , Isabel '03, Irene '11, Matthew '16, Isaias '20, PTC16????

Avatar is heading into Florence 2018, moving friend's boat, only land between us and Hurricane Florence is Ocracoke Island!

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Dean4Storms » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 pm

wxman57 wrote:Without an active southern storm track this December, it appears only the northern U.S. will see a White Christmas. Maybe even a little less coverage than that map above.

Oppsss!! LOL!!
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”