What Should I Expect?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

What Should I Expect?

#1 Postby Swimdude » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Everyone--

I have a fairly good working knowledge of most weather phenomena--with the exception of winter weather. I was born and raised in Houston, and have spent my entire life living in SE/Central Texas.

So with that said, here I am in Terre Haute, Indiana, and we're expecting over 1 inch of ice accumulation over the next 36 hours. My question is--what should I expect?

I have a feeling my university might be closing down for a day or two, but we'll see. I imagine some good advice is to stay indoors, huh?
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

Re: What Should I Expect?

#2 Postby Raebie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:34 am

Expect and prepare for power outages, which could last for over a week given the number of areas that will be impacted. We lost power for 5 days due to an ice storm years ago. Do you have a generator? If not, you have some preparations to do. Fast.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41 am

Raebie wrote:Expect and prepare for power outages, which could last for over a week given the number of areas that will be impacted. We lost power for 5 days due to an ice storm years ago. Do you have a generator? If not, you have some preparations to do. Fast.

Make sure you have an emergency kit similar to what you have had here in Houston for Hurricane season. Hopefully you have plenty of blankets and warm clothing already. And yes, best advice is to stay inside unless that somehow becomes dangerous.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#4 Postby Raebie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:51 am

Here are afew 'hot tips' I can give you based on my past experience with losing power in the winter. We are completely electric...no gas heat, water heater, etc. VERY uncomfortable.

1. Get some oil lamps for light (extra wicks and oil too). Much safer and longer lasting than candles.
2. If you have a gas grill, get some extra tanks of propane. You can use if for cooking and heating water...you'll need it if you have an electric water heater. If you have gas, at least you'll have hot water.
3. If you have a fireplace, stock up on wood. That will be your only heat source. Be prepared to block off the room where your heat source is located by draping tarps or blankets if you can isolate it using doors.
4. Canned food and a manual can opener.
5. Batteries for radios/flashlights.
6. Clean the house and get all of the laundry done before the storm.
7. If you have pets, make sure they have plenty of food.
8. If you are dependent on meds, make sure you have an adequate supply.
9. Make sure you have diversions for yourself and any kids in the house. With no TV, computer or video games, they will be going stark raving mad in hours. Board games and books can help pass the time. It is AMAZING how slowly time passes with no electricity.
10. Booze. Lots of it.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby GCANE » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 am

Raebie wrote:Here are afew 'hot tips' I can give you based on my past experience with losing power in the winter. We are completely electric...no gas heat, water heater, etc. VERY uncomfortable.

1. Get some oil lamps for light (extra wicks and oil too). Much safer and longer lasting than candles.
2. If you have a gas grill, get some extra tanks of propane. You can use if for cooking and heating water...you'll need it if you have an electric water heater. If you have gas, at least you'll have hot water.
3. If you have a fireplace, stock up on wood. That will be your only heat source. Be prepared to block off the room where your heat source is located by draping tarps or blankets if you can isolate it using doors.
4. Canned food and a manual can opener.
5. Batteries for radios/flashlights.
6. Clean the house and get all of the laundry done before the storm.
7. If you have pets, make sure they have plenty of food.
8. If you are dependent on meds, make sure you have an adequate supply.
9. Make sure you have diversions for yourself and any kids in the house. With no TV, computer or video games, they will be going stark raving mad in hours. Board games and books can help pass the time. It is AMAZING how slowly time passes with no electricity.
10. Booze. Lots of it.

I think your priorities are reversed.

:cheesy:
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#6 Postby Raebie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:23 am

Hahaha! Too true...
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Swimdude » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks y'all.

I should've added that I'm a graduate student living in University-owned apartments, and my experience with such living in the past is that universities tend to get priority maintenance and such during power outages and such--so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Thanks for all the pointers! I've done some of these things already, and others will need to be done today after work/class. Thanks!
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#8 Postby Raebie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Find out if your complex has a generator.
0 likes   

Dave
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#9 Postby Dave » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Swimdude, here's a article from the Indiana Dept of Health about what to do with food during power outages. Also if you do lose power, we take our frozen foods (after 6 hours in a decent freezer), put them into coolers and set them outside as long as the outside temp is below 32 degrees.

http://www.fallsky.com/health/poweroutages.pdf

For cooking, and only if you are in an area where you can, we've used everything from outside grilles to fireplaces to cook food in when the power goes out.

Do not use a kerosene heater inside unless you have adequate ventilation for it. The fumes from a heater like that puts off carbon monoxide and can kill you. We highly recommend not using them at all over here in this part of the state but that's up to you just be safe with it.

Get a hardline telephone (old style) and keep it handy. No power = no cordless phones. Also a lot of ice will bring down cell tower antenna's.

Terre Haute area has an extensive amateur radio operations also and I'm sure they'll be on the air also. Check Google for Amateur Radio Frequencies for Terra Haute Indiana for their repeater frequencies.

A few quick tips from the guy across the state from you...southeastern Indiana and the one that hates SNOW! ;)

You can find my email address on our Weather Website at:

http://www.fallsky.com

click the contact info button on bottom left..my email address is there.

Stay safe!
Dave
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:06 pm

Swimdude wrote:Hi Everyone--

I have a fairly good working knowledge of most weather phenomena--with the exception of winter weather. I was born and raised in Houston, and have spent my entire life living in SE/Central Texas.

So with that said, here I am in Terre Haute, Indiana, and we're expecting over 1 inch of ice accumulation over the next 36 hours. My question is--what should I expect?

I have a feeling my university might be closing down for a day or two, but we'll see. I imagine some good advice is to stay indoors, huh?

If you were in Houston for Hurricane Ike, basically the same thing - just without the rain/flooding and with temperatures much colder afterward. The tree and power line damage will resemble a hurricane afterward if ice exceeds 1 inch as expected.

I was in a huge ice storm in 1998, we had almost 4 inches of ice that time. Luckily I was among the first to have power restored, but many were without for weeks.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”