I think I'll give up

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

I think I'll give up

#1 Postby Scott Patterson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am

I think I'll give up.

We're probably the last family in Craig that doesn't have a snow blower. I didn't get one because I thought it would be good excersize motivation to always shovel the old fashion way. Well, we're buried with another foot and a half of snow (on top of all the snow we already had) and I spent a good part of the evening shoveling it. My wife spent a good part of the morning shoveling it as well.

It is still coming down hard. We're running out of places to put the snow. This time I had to shovel much of it all the way across the street (no one lives on the other side of the street).

More snow on the way:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 107.55&e=1

Overnight: Snow. Low around 12. West northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow, mainly before 11am. High near 16. Wind chill values as low as -10. North wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Tuesday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -24. Wind chill values as low as -30. Northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 9. Wind chill values as low as -35. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -15. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 17.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby CajunMama » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:27 am

And after you get one you will wonder why you held out for so long! :lol:
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

Re: I think I'll give up

#3 Postby PTPatrick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 am

I have actually been enjoying shoveling lately. And with any luck I will have a lot to shovel in the morning. Its really coming down, over on the other side of the divide too tonight. Its almost white out right now with the winds. Craziness...2 hours ago barely a cloud in the sky. Having said that, if I lived in the mountains and had a long driveway or anything like that, a blower would be required.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby angelwing » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 am

Personal preferance I guess, I got one for the hubby he insisted on it, I prefer shoveling, I let him go to town on the driveway and I shovel the walkways, we stay out of each other's hair that way :D
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Scott Patterson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Front view of the house:

View out the back windows:

At least the top of the deck rails is showing---for now at least. I'm afraid that we're going to run out of room to put all the snow.

Luckily the weather forecast says that it may warm up to a little above freezing next week, so some snow may melt:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 107.55&e=1

Anyway, I figure I burned at least 500 calories shoveling the snow this morning. :)
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#6 Postby Metalicwx220 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:53 pm

:uarrow: HOLY! LOL XD
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Stephanie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:49 pm

WOW!!! :eek:

We keep joking that the winter we finally get a snow blower will be the winter that we get below average snowfall or none at all. That has happened a lot prior to the past two years. I like the exercise too, especially now that I quit smoking. My back on the other hand.... :roll:
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Florida1118 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:18 am

Looking at that makes me love Florida even more. I've always hated snow.
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby Scott Patterson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 am

I guess my posts are starting to sound like a broken record, but it was another lovely day in Craig, CO.

-26F this morning, but we managed to briefly squeak out a high of 0F. The windchill is a lovely -48F right now.

Anyway, if we do get a snowblower, I'll probably wait until April. I assume they would be much cheaper then because it's closer to the end of the season.
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby bob rulz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:33 am

Well it's good to know that the mountain areas around here are getting good snow.

There's been nothing here in Salt Lake City pretty much since early/mid December. I'm so bored.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”