Series of Storms to affect the West with more Snow/rain/win

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Metalicwx220

#181 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:27 am

Tucson, Az
... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Saturday evening
through Sunday afternoon...

A Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Saturday evening
through Sunday afternoon.

* Timing... a strong winter storm will move across Arizona
Saturday and move into Southeast Arizona Saturday night and
Sunday.

* Snow accumulations... snowfall amounts by Sunday evening in
excess of 10 inches is expected above 7000 feet with 4 to 8
inches possible between 4000 and 7000 feet. Also... there is
the potential for 1 to 2 inches of snow accumulations at
Nogales... Sonoita... Sierra Vista... Bisbee... and within the
Tucson Metro area.

* Snow levels... snow levels will start out near 7000 feet
Saturday evening then drop significantly through Sunday
morning.

* Winds... expect gusty winds to occur Saturday night then
diminish Sunday.

* Impacts... significant snowfall above 4000 feet will inhibit
travel.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow accumulations that may seriously impact travel. Gusty winds
and blowing snow is also possible. Those planning travel into the
watch area should prepare for difficult winter driving
conditions.

Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio... commercial television or radio
stations... or your cable television service provider for updates
on this developing winter storm.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Las Vegas snow Tomorrow night!

#182 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:28 am

I know it was snowing at Disneyland earlier this evening. I don't know if it still is. Got that report from an S2K member living in Temecula, CA.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Metalicwx220

#183 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 am

Death Valley, Ca elevation 2283Tonight
Cloudy. Snow and rain likely. Windy. Snow accumulation generally less than 3 inches. Snow level 4000 feet decreasing to 3500 feet after midnight. Lows 23 to 38 in the mountains...around 46 at furnace creek. Southwest wind 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 50 mph becoming south 10 to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
Saturday
Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain and snow. Snow level 3000 feet decreasing to 2000 feet in the afternoon. Highs 31 to 39 in the mountains...around 56 at furnace creek. Southwest wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of snow in the evening. Lows 19 to 25 in the mountains...around 39 at furnace creek. West wind around 10 mph.
Is it really going to snow in Death valley? or are these the mountains/
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#184 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:34 am

When you said disneyland I was thinking how is it snowing in Orlando :oops: .lol these snows are really rare. :uarrow: :uarrow:
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#185 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 am

Sunday
Chance of showers with isolated snow showers and thunderstorms. Much cooler. Snow level 2500 feet. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Highs 46 to 51. West wind 10 to 15 mph.
This forecast for Tucson, Arizona on Sunday makes absolutely no since.LOL or am I reading it wrong.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#186 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:41 am

Tucson, Arizona
BECOMING QUITE WINDY ON SATURDAY AS PRESSURE GRADIENT TIGHTENS WITH STRONGEST WINDS IN THE MOUNTAINS AND ACROSS COCHISE COUNTY. ALREADY HAVE A WIND ADVISORY POSTED FOR ALL OF SOUTHEAST ARIZONA ON SATURDAY STARTING AT 11 AM AND ENDING AT 7 PM. MODEL DATA SUGGESTING THAT AREAS LIKE COCHISE COUNTY MIGHT SEE STRONG WINDS CONTINUING WELL INTO SATURDAY NIGHT...THUS THE ADVISORY MIGHT HAVE TO BE EXTENDED IN COCHISE COUNTY. BLOWING DUST POSSIBLE IN OUR DUST PRONE AREAS. CHECK FIRE WEATHER SECTION BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS ON CRITICAL FIRE CONDITIONS LIKELY TO BE MET ON SATURDAY. DAYSHIFT DID A PRETTY GOOD JOB ON DEPICTING THE BEST CHANCES FOR MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION BEING LATE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY. COLDER AIR CRASHING IN WITH THE HIGH LIKELIHOOD FOR SNOW TO FALL TO THE LOWEST ELEVATIONS ACROSS COCHISE AND GRAHAM COUNTIES EAST OF TUCSON LATE SAT NIGHT/EARLY SUN WITH SNOW POSSIBLY WITHIN THE CITY OF TUCSON BY EARLY SUNDAY. WINTER STORM WATCH ALREADY OUT EASTERN PINAL/PIMA COUNTIES ALONG WITH GRAHAM/GREENLEE/COCHISE AND SANTA CRUZ COUNTIES. STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE ABOUT 10 INCHES FOR THE WHITE MOUNTAINS...NEARLY 9 INCHES FOR MT. GRAHAM...AND ABOUT 8 INCHES FOR THE CATALINA AND RINCON MOUNTAINS. LIQUID AMOUNTS TO RANGE FROM ONE TENTH TO ONE HALF OF AN INCH IN THE VALLEYS...AND ONE HALF TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH IN THE MOUNTAINS.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#187 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:43 am

Why doesn't it make sense? Tucson does get snow, especially in some of the higher elevations in the city. I don't think it is a common occurrence there, but I know it happens.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Metalicwx220

#188 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 am

vbhoutex wrote:Why doesn't it make sense? Tucson does get snow, especially in some of the higher elevations in the city. I don't think it is a common occurrence there, but I know it happens.

I know but it says a high of 46-51 with chance of showers with isolated SNOWSHOWERS and THUNDERSTORMS lol.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#189 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:11 am

LOl im still woke... Sunnyvale, Ca may see snow tonight at 2:00ampacific time. according to Trupoint radar.
Last edited by Metalicwx220 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

Re:

#190 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:22 am

Metalicwx220 wrote:Image
LOL....Remember I are not talking about the mountains. 7-9 inches for portland.
Also snow for San francisco. and Las Vegas.

LOL 384 hours is today when I posted this and las vegas has the potential to see snow Saturday Night there time.Lol I was on to this 16 days ago. im good at long range.........Not!!!
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#191 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 am

Image Snow map today.
384 hours ago forecast lolImage
Snow maps can be good 384 hours out lol
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#192 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:35 am

Image 36hours! guess there are mountains around phoenix. :eek: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Record cold Temps and Rare Southwest Snow!!!

#193 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:07 pm

How could it have been snowing at Disneyland? Disneyland is near Anaheim (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=ana ... CCcQ8gEwAA), and according to a local weather station, temperatures last evening were in the lower 50s with dewpoints in the upper 40s in that area (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobe ... 541&num=72). Meteorologically, there is pretty much no way it could have been snowing with those kind of conditions. It might have been hailing though.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#194 Postby Ntxw » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Extremeweatherguy wrote:How could it have been snowing at Disneyland? Disneyland is near Anaheim (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=ana ... CCcQ8gEwAA), and according to a local weather station, temperatures last evening were in the lower 50s with dewpoints in the upper 40s in that area (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobe ... 541&num=72). Meteorologically, there is pretty much no way it could have been snowing with those kind of conditions. It might have been hailing though.

It snowed in disneyland?

Edit: Nvm missed that post! Yeah I don't see the atmospheric conditions around Anaheim last night to support snow either. Maybe the nearby peaks. Hail would be the first culprit in that area.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Metalicwx220

#195 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:24 pm

It probably was snow. I think people know the difference between hail and snow.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#196 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Unusual Snow Followed by Record Lows After bringing snow to the Pacific Northwest Wednesday into Thursday, a very cold storm originating from Alaska will continue southward along the coast of California. bringing snow to unusual places along its path. Snow fell in parts of the San Francisco Bay Area for the first time in 35 years Friday night and early Saturday morning. According to the National Weather Service in Los Angeles, temperatures around 18,000 feet up in atmosphere could hit levels only seen one other time in 1977. Interesting from weather.com SO IT DID SNOW IN SAN FRANCISCO!
0 likes   

Extremeweatherguy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#197 Postby Extremeweatherguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Metalicwx220 wrote:It probably was snow. I think people know the difference between hail and snow.
I would hope so, but I have encountered several people in the past who have thought that sleet was snow and also who have thought that it was snowing outside when in fact it was just drizzling (with temperatures well above freezing).

In this particular case, I think it is pretty obvious that it could not have been snow at Disneyland. Snow simply cannot make it to the surface when the air temperature is in the lower 50s and the dewpoint is in the upper 40s.

Here is an article discussing snow with temperatures above freezing:

http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowAboveFreezing

As you can see, the only way it would be able to snow at such warm temperatures (45F+) is if the air at the surface was EXTREMELY dry (<20% RH). This was not the case last night in southern California.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#198 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:05 pm

Wow who came with that formula? :eek: :uarrow: 46 degrees with snow? Maybe the temperature report in disneyland was off by a lot. lol I don't see any hail reports.. i only see wind.
0 likes   

Metalicwx220

#199 Postby Metalicwx220 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:12 pm

SO IT DID SNOW IN SAN FRANCISCO.....Light snow flurries swirled across the Bay Area in the early hours of the morning Saturday but dissipated before most people slipped out of their warm beds.According to the National Weather Service, low temperatures wrapped the region overnight, with San Jose hitting 33 degrees, which it had not done on this date since 1897. Downtown San Francisco registered 37 degrees, which hadn't happened since 1952, while San Francisco International Airport reported 36 degrees for the first time since 1971. The thin layer of snow fell between midnight and 2 a.m. "We did get some flurries overnight all over" the Bay Area, weather service meteorologist Chris Stumpf said. "We had reports of a light dusting near Monterey Bay. We actually had a guy in San Jose say he first thought it was frost but he went outside and saw that it was a light dusting of snow."Snow can occur with temperatures as warm as 38 degrees, he said.The weather service does not expect any more snowy experiences near sea
0 likes   

fogbreath
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#200 Postby fogbreath » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Well, let's say I'm not terribly impressed - granted, I woke up late this morning, but if there had been some substantial snows, I would've seen some remaining dusting on places like Mt. Tamalpais and Mt. St. Helena. Didn't see nary a white cluster on the peaks - might've been a different story in the South Bay, though.

I found this video of hail/snow in one SF neighborhood back from Friday, March 10, 2006. I remember that cold spell pretty vividly - I was running a half-marathon that Sunday in the Sacramento area and there was actually a chance of snow flurries in the forecast. Never did snow during my race, but it was about perfect weather for running and the snow-capped peaks lining the valley were a treat to see.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlSfEf3sSM&feature=related[/youtube]
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”