Texas Winter 2011-2012...

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2011-2012...

#3301 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 am

Well the GFS is at it's game again doing all sorts of whacky regarding how energy is played out. I'm going to follow the Euro on this one. Lots of heavy rain for Texas especially eastern third to half as low pressure sits and hangs in west Texas and New Mexico. Slow moving areas of rain looks decent, if you haven't already started planting this week might be a good time and let mother nature do good watering since many of us are technically still under water restrictions. After this week officially most of the areas between I-10 and 35 should be cleared of drought status at least for the near term.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3302 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 pm

I'll tell you what ... since we all seem to like to stay together in a thread and share our respective hopes/frustrations/real weather and since winter is over, let's move this discussion and any future ones about spring weather to the USA & Caribbean Weather Forum and I'll make a thread called "Texas Spring 2012."

See y'all over there ...
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3303 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:55 pm

10-4.

As long as Heat Miser promises to play nicer over there! :D

And just in case, I'm still leaving the door open for a March Madness Miracle...
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#3304 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:10-4.

As long as Heat Miser promises to play nicer over there! :D

And just in case, I'm still leaving the door open for a March Madness Miracle...

Fair enough Texas Snowman ... fair enough. :D
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3305 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm

I catch your drift Portastorm. But! This is technically still a winter storm as it has low heights and the northwest third of Texas is progged by all the models to see snow (and winter doesn't officially end until the vernal equinox :wink:). There's not much of a severe weather factor that I can see regarding this system which is why I've mostly kept the talk of it in this thread. If I see something worthy of that to note I will surely mention it on USA weather side as well :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3306 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Ntxw, I concur with your post above and see where some winter weather may be involved with this system.

I'm just trying to transition everyone over to the other thread as we work into spring and start seeing "events." We've never really done it this way before as the threads have usually been broken down by region of the state. It seems like we all prefer to stay in one area and that's fine by me. So, unless others have better ideas, that is the way we'll play it.

Meanwhile ... yes ... by all means, keep talking here about this system in terms of winter weather.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#3307 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 am

Must say, for this winter to pound us with so much rain, enough to cover the drought, i want to call this winter a success. Man last year was miserable with no rain
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3308 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:40 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Must say, for this winter to pound us with so much rain, enough to cover the drought, i want to call this winter a success. Man last year was miserable with no rain

I agree. This winter has been incredible with all of the rain! A lot of the state has made significant improvements in rainfall deficits! It has definitely been a success! :)
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3309 Postby Ntxw » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:36 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:I agree. This winter has been incredible with all of the rain! A lot of the state has made significant improvements in rainfall deficits! It has definitely been a success! :)

I have to give credit where it's due. You and LC were pretty insistent that beyond 7 days a major system would dump rain over Texas. This will likely prove to be the correct solution. Very nice job :wink:. The STJ did indeed awaken. Flooding has been occuring in Hawaii recently.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3310 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:39 pm

Ntxw wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:I agree. This winter has been incredible with all of the rain! A lot of the state has made significant improvements in rainfall deficits! It has definitely been a success! :)

I have to give credit where it's due. You and LC were pretty insistent that beyond 7 days a major system would dump rain over Texas. This will likely prove to be the correct solution. Very nice job :wink:. The STJ did indeed awaken. Flooding has been occuring in Hawaii recently.

Haha thanks Ntxw! The model ensembles were strongly supporting a big rain making system affecting Texas for several days in a row so that made me feel pretty confident in my prediction. But thanks for remembering! :)
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3311 Postby Rgv20 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm

The Texas Panhandle is where you could find some winter weather.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AMARILLO TX
354 PM CST WED MAR 7 2012

OKZ001>003-TXZ001>020-081200-
ARMSTRONG-BEAVER-CARSON-CIMARRON-COLLINGSWORTH-DALLAM-DEAF SMITH-
DONLEY-GRAY-HANSFORD-HARTLEY-HEMPHILL-HUTCHINSON-LIPSCOMB-MOORE-
OCHILTREE-OLDHAM-POTTER-RANDALL-ROBERTS-SHERMAN-TEXAS-WHEELER-
354 PM CST WED MAR 7 2012

...WINTRY WEATHER IS POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF THE PANHANDLES
THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT...

AN UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO SLOWLY MOVE EAST ACROSS
NEW MEXICO TONIGHT AND THURSDAY. AS THE STORM APPROACHES THE
PANHANDLES THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND THURSDAY NIGHT...THE CHANCE OF
SNOW IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE WESTERN
PANHANDLES. THE PRECIPITATION WILL LINGER ACROSS THE PANHANDLES
FRIDAY...MAINLY IN THE FORM OF RAIN AND FRIDAY NIGHT...MAINLY IN THE
FORM OF SNOW AS THE STORM MOVES OVER THE PANHANDLES AND INTO KANSAS.

TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS BY FRIDAY NIGHT MAY REACH ONE TO THREE INCHES
WEST OF AN AMARILLO TO PERRYTON LINE.

SOME LIGHT FREEZING RAIN IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE NORTHWEST TEXAS
PANHANDLE AND WESTERN OKLAHOMA PANHANDLE LATE TONIGHT...BUY ANY
ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO STAY VERY LIGHT.

STAY TUNED TO ANY UPDATES TO THE FORECAST BY VISITING OUR WEBSITE AT
http://WWW.SRH.NOAA.GOV/AMA...FOLLOWING NWS AMARILLO ON FACEBOOK...LISTENING
TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...OR THROUGH YOUR PREFERRED MEDIA OUTLET.

$$

GOEHRING
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

natlib
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3312 Postby natlib » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Quite the winter blast this morning in San Angelo.......It was 69 when I came to work and it is now 50 after the front. The high here tomorrow is only going to be 42. This is definitely winters last stand in West Central Texas.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#3313 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 pm

The sad thing is, if this were January this weather setup would probably be widespread snow or ice. But this storm waited until March. :x
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3314 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:40 pm

The Amarillo area with some winter weather fun!

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AMARILLO TX
327 PM CST THU MAR 8 2012

TXZ001-006-011>013-016>018-090530-
/O.NEW.KAMA.WW.Y.0005.120309T0000Z-120309T1800Z/
DALLAM-HARTLEY-OLDHAM-POTTER-CARSON-DEAF SMITH-RANDALL-ARMSTRONG-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DALHART...HARTLEY...CHANNING...VEGA...
AMARILLO...PANHANDLE...WHITE DEER...HEREFORD...CANYON...CLAUDE
327 PM CST THU MAR 8 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON CST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AMARILLO HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING
TO NOON CST FRIDAY.

* EVENT...RAIN CHANGING OVER TO LIGHT SNOW TONIGHT AND CONTINUING
THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. AROUND 2 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW CAN BE
EXPECTED ACROSS THE EXTREME SOUTHWEST TEXAS PANHANDLE WITH AROUND 1
TO 3 INCHES ALONG AND SOUTHWEST OF A TEXLINE TO CLAUDE LINE.

* TIMING...RAIN CAN BE EXPECTED TO SPREAD NORTHWARD ACROSS THE TEXAS
AND OKLAHOMA PANHANDLES EARLY THIS EVENING AND THEN CHANGIING OVER
TO LIGHT SNOW BETWEEN 9 PM AND MIDNIGHT TONIGHT. THE LIGHT SNOW
WILL CONTINUE UNTIL FRIDAY MORNING BEFORE 12 NOON.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH
FRIDAY MORNING ACROSS THE WESTERN AND SOUTH CENTRAL TEXAS
PANHANDLE. NORTH AND NORTHEAST WINDS OF 10 TO 15 MPH WILL CREATE
WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE TEENS AND 20S TONIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

&&
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#3315 Postby Ntxw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 pm

somethingfunny wrote:The sad thing is, if this were January this weather setup would probably be widespread snow or ice. But this storm waited until March. :x

We did have a storm similar to this one back in January :P it gave DFW 4-5 inches of widespread RAIN. Story of the winter, no cold air!

Looks like one more push of cooler values around the vernal equinox (and another big storm) as the PNA rises to positive and that will just about wrap up this season for good, good riddance.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3316 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:46 am

Well, a little snow on the radar tonight in the Panhandle west of Amarillo and down to near Childress.

And a little bit falling between Lubbock and Midland/Odessa.

Who would have ever dreamt that Midland/Odessa would get about 20-inches of snow this winter and virtually no one else in Texas (outside of the Panhandle) would get anything?

Or that Midland/Odessa would have more seasonal snowfall this winter than New York City?

Wow. What a strange, strange, strange winter this was. Or wasn't.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

natlib
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#3317 Postby natlib » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Well, a little snow on the radar tonight in the Panhandle west of Amarillo and down to near Childress.

And a little bit falling between Lubbock and Midland/Odessa.

Who would have ever dreamt that Midland/Odessa would get about 20-inches of snow this winter and virtually no one else in Texas (outside of the Panhandle) would get anything?

Or that Midland/Odessa would have more seasonal snowfall this winter than New York City?

Wow. What a strange, strange, strange winter this was. Or wasn't.

Agreed.....I'm sure the Midland folks are ready for Spring. I don't think it ever got below 25 in San Angelo this winter......The mosquitos may be as big as poodles this summer.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3318 Postby ravyrn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 pm

For our beloved Heat Miser:

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Snowbourn Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Jack Frost. Father to a snowmanless son, husband to a wintercoatless wife. And I will have my vengeance, this winter or the next.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3319 Postby gboudx » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am

Normally I'd wait to plan tomatoes until mid-April. I'm thinking I'm good to start now this year.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#3320 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Soooo which thread do we move to next?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Winter Weather”