Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4741 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 pm

36 for the low this morning in Denison. Clouds held in until right after sunrise or we might have flirted with freezing.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4742 Postby Rgv20 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:26 am

Morning low of 55 and cloudy....not bad for April! :D
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4743 Postby Ntxw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Spring? What's that? The globals all say try 2014! My mother's vegetable garden has survived the freezes being in the urban core but the growth is noticeably putrid compared to the last two years.

Euro/CMC/GFS says another cold spell not unlike the one we just had coming through again.

I don't know what mother nature is trying to pull off but I like it!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4744 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:40 pm

We hit 39 this morning in Denison. Three straight mornings with lows that resemble wintertime rather than springtime.

In the middle of April!

Known otherwise as the "Spring of Wxman 57's Discontent"!!! :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4745 Postby Rgv20 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Expect more cold Springs ahead...http://iceagenow.info/2012/02/ice-age-2014/. :double:

I did not want to start a new thread as this forecast was made a couple of years back, but I just read about it a couple of days ago lol. What do you guys think? Global Warming or Global Cooling? Best answer is right in the middle right? :lol:

Edit: Oops broken link :oops:
Last edited by Rgv20 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4746 Postby gboudx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 am

^ you may want to correct the hyperlink since "ahead..." is included as part of the link and obviously isn't going to work.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4747 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am

a
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#4748 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:33 pm

More for SE TX than the rest, but is Wintery sounding. Jeff Lindner's morning email:

Strong cold front will bring near record cold temperatures by the end of the week.

In a pattern that continues to repeat, another strong upper level storm system will cross the state on Thursday ushering in a strong cold front. Ahead of this feature a warm and muggy air mass is noted across much of eastern TX with dewpoints well into the 60’s and at some sites the lower 70’s. Warm layer of air aloft is keeping a cap on any convective chances with some slight potential especially on Wednesday of a showers or two moving inland off the western Gulf in the offshore flow. Onshore flow is also bringing in a large amount of haze/smoke from agriculture fires in Mexico. There will be little change to the pattern until Thursday when a strong cold front sweeps across the area.

Models have shown a general slowdown in the frontal timing with the boundary entering our W counties in the mid to late morning and moving off the coast toward the early evening. This paces the boundary across the region during maximum heating and during the greatest amounts of instability. As with the past front past week, the capping inversion held strong along the boundary allowing no development until the lift from the upper trough arrived during the overnight hours. Capping looks to be a problem with the upcoming front also, especially across areas south of I-10. Areas north of I-10 stand at least a decent shot of the cap being broken, and with good instability and strong shear, any storms that develop in this region will likely become severe. Hard to pin down the severe threat still over 48 hours out and will take a closer look tomorrow.

Post front air mass will be cold from mid April with lows both Friday and Saturday mornings falling into the upper 30’s and lower 40’s which is near record temperatures. Highs on Friday will only reach the mid to upper 60’s and only 70 on Saturday or roughly 10 degrees below daytime highs. The dry and cold air mass will feel much different than the current air mass in place.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4749 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 am

Record late season cold is possible tonight in the Red River Valley.

North of the river, a freeze warning is in effect where lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s are expected in southern Oklahoma.

South of the river, Sherman/Denison's record low of 33 for April 19 is in jeopardy with a low of 34/35 forecast.

AMAZING cold spring continues! :double:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4750 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:48 am

Woo Hoo. :)
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#4751 Postby lrak » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:46 pm

Tireman4 wrote:Woo Hoo. :)

Nein!

Water is too cold to surf w/o a suit. Come on Spring, bring it! :D :D :D
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4752 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Uh, 39f on April 20 is too damn cold!! lrak, one good thing about the cold water is less heat for TC later I hope. I feel you on the surfing though. I almost had to go to the hospital for hypothermia once when I lived/surfed in FL.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4753 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:10 pm

vbhoutex wrote:Uh, 39f on April 20 is too damn cold!!

:hehe:
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4754 Postby Rgv20 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Got down to a crisp 47F this morning :eek:
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4755 Postby Texas Snowman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm

34 degrees in Sherman/Denison yesterday.

Another front and 39 mid-week.
0 likes   

pwrdog
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4756 Postby pwrdog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Got down to 32 in Conroe this morning... 25 miles north of Houston..

I hit 31 at my farm 50 miles north of Houston.. and Southern Rough NWS station about 40 miles north of Beaumont was at 30 degrees..

Latest freeze I can ever recall.. My garden didn't like it..
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4757 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 pm

if this is true your yard got off lucky pwrdog : http://www.wimp.com/phoenixstorm/

:uarrow: Did Phoenix have a hail storm recently?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4758 Postby Ntxw » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:13 pm

It's late April and the northern hemisphere is still showing a lot of snow cover. Record in fact (on pace to break the April record going back to the 1960s), this is something we see in early winter not heart of spring. Pretty amazing thing going on up there in the northern latitudes and a still frozen Canada.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4759 Postby Rgv20 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Post it this on the Texas Spring but I think it goes here too...

Brownsville NWS's forecast for my area... I'm I reading this correct?? Gotta be a typo!! :eek: :eek:

Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 51 by noon. Breezy, with a northeast wind 9 to 14 mph becoming north 16 to 21 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4760 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:11 am

Here in Sherman/Denison, yesterday was a raw, blustery, chilly day worthy of a January cold front. Temps in the lower 40s, drizzle, and a stiff northerly breeze all afternoon. (Perfect bike riding weather!).

Hit 39 for the low temperature reading before midnight on 4/23/13.

Temp is 38 for the moment on 4/24/13. Probably will go a degree or two lower before the night is done.

What an amazing winter, er spring, this has been!
:cold: :double:
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”