Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#4701 Postby Portastorm » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Yeah its difficult to keep with where people post on the forum, it shows some winter precip for some areas. Nothing bananas but its not bad for April. What year was it when it snowed Easter weekend? 2006? Want to compare the patterns.

Well, I know that in 2005 there was a decent Easter time snow in North Texas. And Central Texas had snow in 2007 on Easter. The former was close to the end of March, I think ... while the latter was in the first week of April.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#4702 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Today's 12z GFS is the first run where it shows another really cold air mass moving into Texas. The GFS runs from the past few days don't show that. The Euro and CMC are still consistently showing no really cold air moving into Texas in the next 8 days.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4703 Postby Ntxw » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm

While the euro and others don't seem to show such cold air into Texas for April (yet) it is interesting that all the models agree a -EPO showing should happen dumping Arctic air at least to North America. AO's crazy stretch of being negative continues. Looks like a potential threat of a light frost or light freeze once again may occur.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4704 Postby dhweather » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Portastorm wrote:I posted a comment in the Spring thread about it. While it is technically winter-like weather, we are in Spring per the calendar. Go figure! :lol:

Here is the 12z GFS at 180 hours, the 850mb temp anamolies:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's impressive!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4705 Postby Ntxw » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:34 pm

So the very -EPO coming is going to bring another chill, gardeners be on alert again. Euro today has North Texas around 40 and cold rain to start April and GFS well, I'm not going to even mention its crazy runs of late.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4706 Postby ravyrn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:16 pm

I'm throwing in the towel now. March 28th. Time to close this thread, move into spring thread, and hope we're as fortunate next winter as we were this past one. Snow on Christmas day + measurable snow one or two other times in the DFW! Awesome winter! Regrettably, I was on Vancouver Island for two of the white stuff days :(
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4707 Postby Portastorm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am

ravyrn wrote:I'm throwing in the towel now. March 28th. Time to close this thread, move into spring thread, and hope we're as fortunate next winter as we were this past one. Snow on Christmas day + measurable snow one or two other times in the DFW! Awesome winter! Regrettably, I was on Vancouver Island for two of the white stuff days :(

What a difference 180 miles makes ... I would call this "winter" season many things but "awesome" is not one of them. For us winter weather lovers in south central Texas, it was a terrible winter. Not as bad as last year's horrific nightmare but still very disappointing. I'm glad you folks in DFW though received different treatment from Old Man Winter.

Funny ... I do find myself now annoyed by these late season cold snaps. I'm ready for Spring, warmer temps, and hopefully plenty of thunderstorms.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4708 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:15 am

[quote="Portastorm}

Funny ... I do find myself now annoyed by these late season cold snaps. [/quote]

:roll: :P
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4709 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 am

I will never in a million years understand you fellows. When I first joined you were drooling over my temps (that were in the 60's and 70's). Now you have them and you want hotter????

I KNOW rain would be much preferred but at least you aren't baking right now.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4710 Postby gboudx » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Wind speed of -9999 mph? Is ATX being swallowed up in a black hole?
0 likes   

cperez1594
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re:

#4711 Postby cperez1594 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 pm

gboudx wrote:Wind speed of -9999 mph? Is ATX being swallowed up in a black hole?

Nope just North Korea surprising Austin lol
0 likes   
HAM Radio Operator KF5HFA
Deep South Texas- Rio Grande Valley

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#4712 Postby ravyrn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:25 pm

gboudx wrote:Wind speed of -9999 mph? Is ATX being swallowed up in a black hole?

I wonder if a -9999mph north wind would = a 9999mph south wind?
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#4713 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 pm

hmmmmm why are you fellows so quiet? That cold front, we've been chilling so well and you were complaining about, looks like a rain maker! :D
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#4714 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:54 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:hmmmmm why are you fellows so quiet? That cold front, we've been chilling so well and you were complaining about, looks like a rain maker! :D

What's rain? Maybe they had some in DFW, not a drop here in Houston and it is 78f. time to head back to the Texas Spring thread.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4715 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:50 pm

I heard it "sleeted" some pretty big ice pellets in the Hill Country today.

Heard there was pea sized, marble sized, golf ball sized, and even baseball sized pellets.

Pretty big sleet pellets if you ask me.

Hope everybody is ok down that way!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4716 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:52 pm

After this good rain event, one thing left for "winter" here in the Red River Valley - can we get down into the 30s one final time?

After this, time to shut 'er down and wait for next November I guess! 8-)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4717 Postby Ntxw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Euro and Canadian says not so fast my friend! April freeze? With the mini tank from the -AO could happen, I wouldn't put anything past mother nature at this point with what happened in March.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4718 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Haven't looked ahead - after next week's severe weather outbreak?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#4719 Postby Ntxw » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Haven't looked ahead - after next week's severe weather outbreak?

Yeah, the cold front behind that system looks potent on the Euro. This will be after the max dip from the -AO which is usually the time for a cold spell.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4720 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:10 am

A very un-spring like night here in the Red River Valley. The Mrs. actually had a roaring fire going tonight and it felt pretty good. :cheesy:

Right now, 41 degrees and raining in Denison.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”