Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4781 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 pm

The north wind is howling outside still...at 11:40 p.m. Our temp is around 40 and there's been precip off and on this evening. One friend said he swore he saw a snow flurry or two earlier. NWS says we're heading for the low to mid 30s in the Red River Valley tonight. Going to be close to a freeze in a few places.

All I know is that we actually built a fire tonight - in May! :cold:

This front is one for the Texas record books. A true blue norther that knocked down some big branches in Grayson County today. A front and cold air mass that would do us proud in December, January, or February.

And it's less than a month before hurricane season starts.

Wowza!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#4782 Postby Portastorm » Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 am

Absolutely extraordinary! I've in Austin for 29 years and never seen a spring like this. Last night it actually felt like a night in January or February. Heat kicked on at the Portastorm Weather Center several times during the night.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4783 Postby wxman57 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 am

Yes, terrible weather for May. Will 2013 be the year without a summer? I'd rather have a year without a winter...
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4784 Postby gboudx » Fri May 03, 2013 12:46 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'd rather have a year without a winter...

You did; 2011-2012. Law of averages says you must endure a year without a Summer. But c'mon, we all know you'll have more than enough biking weather days this summer than you'll use. :)
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4785 Postby Tireman4 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 pm

gboudx wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I'd rather have a year without a winter...

You did; 2011-2012. Law of averages says you must endure a year without a Summer. But c'mon, we all know you'll have more than enough biking weather days this summer than you'll use. :)

I second that. You had the Summer of all you could dream about Mister Heat Wave. It is our turn now....one year without a Summer....1816...:)
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4786 Postby Rgv20 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 pm

May??? :eek: :eek:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4787 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri May 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Hit 35 last night here in Denison. Record low territory.

Upper 30s tonight with Steve LaNore of KXII-TV warning of frost.

I'll say it again...in May.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4788 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri May 03, 2013 11:05 pm

It also snowed last night in NE Oklahoma and NW Arkansas (trace on up to five inches).

What I read this morning on Twitter said it was the first measurable snow ever recorded in the month of May in Arkansas! Also snowed up to two inches in portions of eastern Oklahoma (including some counties about 2 1/2 hours from my home).

Here's a snowfall map.

0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4789 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Official Tulsa NWS statement on the historic May snow/cold event in eastern Oklahoma and NW Arkansas:

May 2-3, 2013: Snow Event

Strong upper-level highs over the Pacific Northwest and the northwest Atlantic funneled cold Canadian air southward into the Southern Plains on May 2, 2013. The cold front associated with this cold air moved through eastern Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas on May 2, with precipitation occurring along and behind the front.

The unusually cold temperatures for May allowed for sleet and snow to mix in with the rain across northeast OK during the afternoon and evening hours of May 2. Snowflakes were first observed at the NWS Tulsa office at 1:40pm CDT, making May 2, 2013 the latest observed snow in Tulsa since records began in 1900. The previous latest observed snow in Tulsa was on April 18, 1953. This also marks the first time snow has fallen in Tulsa in the month of May. As the precipitation continued to move east overnight, heavier snow developed over far northeast Oklahoma, the higher elevations of southeast Oklahoma, and northwest Arkansas, where snowfall totals of 1" to 2" were common by the morning of May 3. The highest totals of 3"-5" occurred in Adair County, OK and Benton County, AR. This is the first time snow has fallen in the state of Arkansas during the month of May. Ironically, this latest snow on record follows the hottest year (2012) on record across eastern Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas.

The upper-level low associated with this system will slowly move out of southeast Kansas and into northeast Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas during the evening of the 3rd. Precipitation will likely wrap around this upper-level circulation overnight, with rain or snow possible once agin. There is a chance for additional snow accumulations tonight across far northeast Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas. Continue to monitor the NWS Tulsa forecast for the latest information. Be sure to send us your snowfall reports too.

Last updated: 2:30pm 05/03/2013
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4790 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri May 03, 2013 11:09 pm

May 3 low temps (many were record lows) for May 3 as per Fort Worth NWS:

0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#4791 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun May 05, 2013 2:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:Yes, terrible weather for May. Will 2013 be the year without a summer? I'd rather have a year without a winter...

We already a year without winter and help bring the drought in the Midwest. There have been years without summer.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4792 Postby Tireman4 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Yep, 1816 comes to mind. To read more about it, a great book:

Volcano Weather: The Story of the Year Without A Summer 1816 by Henry and Elizabeth Stommel. You might like it Wxman 57...:)
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

Re:

#4793 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun May 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Tireman4 wrote:Yep, 1816 comes to mind. To read more about it, a great book:

Volcano Weather: The Story of the Year Without A Summer 1816 by Henry and Elizabeth Stommel. You might like it Wxman 57...:)

So do you have a basement full of growing lights??? Or are you one of the ones who collects those survival army food packages????

Quit dreaming about that summer!!!! :spam: :P

Winter probably never ended that year in Western Canada (esp Saskatchewan). :roll:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4794 Postby Tireman4 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:28 am

Well, I do not have a basement. LOL. I do not have MRE's/ In fact, I really detest our Summers in Houston, but I would rather they be mild (low to mid 90's) than what we are used to having...
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#4795 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon May 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Tireman4 wrote:Yep, 1816 comes to mind. To read more about it, a great book:

1815 had Tambora erupt, the largest in recent history. I wonder what the weather records would of been like in 1816.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4796 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Saw where there was two-inches of snow overnight in SW England near Devon...in mid-May!!!!

Also saw where there are record lows...again...in the interior of Alaska. Some below zero readings in the northern part of the state near the Brooks Range. And plenty of teens and 20s in the rest of the Interior.

Plus, Anchorage is expecting a potentially record breaking snow.

Unreal "spring" continues in the northern Hemisphere!
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4797 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu May 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Also saw this from Joe Bastardi about NEXT winter in the lower 48:

@BigJoeBastardi: CFSV2 500 mb for December already hinting at one heck of fast start to winter with blocking locking and rocking pic.twitter.com/CtWKLuKlYK

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/stat ... 81/photo/1
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#4798 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

Oh ... so y'all have heard already ... winter=cancel. :wink:

be careful what you say! :uarrow: This was from 2012-2013 winter. And it ended up being a bad winter except for one christmas snow in North Texas. (Which I happened to have missed :cry: ) :wink:
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Return to “Winter Weather”