Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#21 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon May 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Ntxw wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:You guys are crazy! The days are still getting longer. :roflmao:

Yes! But in a month and a week+- the days will start getting shorter :wink: almost to the top of the hill! (Cold-monger optimism). Winter is never truly over thanks to a freezer bunker at an undisclosed PWC location in which us members post from during the dog days of summer.

After the unmerciful beating we took from Wxman57 this past winter, we are plotting our revenge. And we will never - NEVER - go away.

Next secret winter-mongerer meeting is scheduled for Portastorm's very soon. Jack Frost is the guest speaker. :grrr:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 am

Does anyone have an update on the El Nino?
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#23 Postby gboudx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:32 am

gpsnowman wrote:Does anyone have an update on the El Nino?

There's an "ENSO Updates" thread on the Talkin Tropics forum where you can find updates. I recommend starting at page 105.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137

Edit: Mistakenly listed starting at page 115.
Last edited by gboudx on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 am

gboudx wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:Does anyone have an update on the El Nino?

There's an "ENSO Updates" thread on the Talkin Tropics forum where you can find updates. I recommend starting at page 115.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137

The latest update by CPC is posted there and is very good news for the Winter in Texas. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#25 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Joe Bastardi chimed in a couple of days ago about the "El Nino Watch."

"@BigJoeBastardi: "The el nino will last into winter, lead to a cold winter cause its a cold pdo nino off a double nina, then fade next year. There, watch that."
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

rkbjunior
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#26 Postby rkbjunior » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Our last El-Nino was the winter of 2009-2010 and I think that was following a two year La Nina run. I remember several exciting events that winter. Hopefully we are heading in to another El-Nino that is following another two year La-Nina run.

I know hobbyists and professionals like to look at analog years when it comes to predicting upcoming seasons. I wonder if 2009 or 2010 will be one of those years?

I know it's early for this kind of talk but I've got to have something to get me through the next three or four months of summer hell. :double:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#27 Postby Ntxw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:58 pm

rkbjunior wrote:Our last El-Nino was the winter of 2009-2010 and I think that was following a two year La Nina run. I remember several exciting events that winter. Hopefully we are heading in to another El-Nino that is following another two year La-Nina run.

I know hobbyists and professionals like to look at analog years when it comes to predicting upcoming seasons. I wonder if 2009 or 2010 will be one of those years?

I know it's early for this kind of talk but I've got to have something to get me through the next three or four months of summer hell. :double:

1957-1958, 1972-1973, 1976-1977, and 2009-2010 are probably the top analogs regarding nino after double ninas for this winter. Next in line would be 2002-2003 which followed a nina and cold-neutral. With the exception of 57-58, all of the seasons presented had 3+ inches of snowfall for North Texas.

*Note all of the analogs showed a putrid winter before them :cheesy:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#28 Postby Portastorm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:27 pm

rkbjunior wrote:Our last El-Nino was the winter of 2009-2010 and I think that was following a two year La Nina run. I remember several exciting events that winter. Hopefully we are heading in to another El-Nino that is following another two year La-Nina run.

Nonsense! It is NEVER too early to talk winter weather in Texas.

Nice post from Ntxw with the analog comparisons. Most of those winters referenced included snowfalls in the Austin metro area. The PWC can't wait!! :D
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

joshb19882004
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#29 Postby joshb19882004 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:24 pm

the el nino of 2004-2005 gave the rio grande valley a white christmas maybe this one will to doubt it but its something to hope for
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Rgv20 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Per Joe Bastardi Twitter:

"@BigJoeBastardi: cfs winter vs 76-77 start lighting the candles and saying ur prayers, wild winter lovers!"

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#31 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:06 am

Yeah, I saw that Joe Bastardi tweet yesterday. Very interesting for sure.

And yes indeed the winter of 1976/77 was a memorable one in Texas. It was the kind of winter that may have helped turn our resident Heat Miser into the hot-weather loving biker that he is today! :D

-----

Significant North Texas Snow and Ice Events: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=dsnows

Nov. 13-14, 1976: Widespread 4-6 inch snow fell over much of the northern and western sections of North Texas. The area covered was north of a line through Coleman, Hamilton, Fort Worth, Bonham, and Clarksville. Lampasas also reported 5 inches of snow with this event.

Jan. 30, 1977 - Almost all of North Texas picked up at least 2 inches of snow with this event. Between 4-6 inches were reported south of the Red River and north of a line through Eastland, Hillsboro, Fairfield, and Tyler.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:49 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Yeah, I saw that Joe Bastardi tweet yesterday. Very interesting for sure.

And yes indeed the winter of 1976/77 was a memorable one in Texas. It was the kind of winter that may have helped turn our resident Heat Miser into the hot-weather loving biker that he is today! :D

-----

Significant North Texas Snow and Ice Events: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=dsnows

Nov. 13-14, 1976: Widespread 4-6 inch snow fell over much of the northern and western sections of North Texas. The area covered was north of a line through Coleman, Hamilton, Fort Worth, Bonham, and Clarksville. Lampasas also reported 5 inches of snow with this event.

Jan. 30, 1977 - Almost all of North Texas picked up at least 2 inches of snow with this event. Between 4-6 inches were reported south of the Red River and north of a line through Eastland, Hillsboro, Fairfield, and Tyler.

1976 was a very cool year for Texas. The fall of 1976 was cold all around. The winter of 1976-1977 was very cold, one of the coldest. In fact the late 1970s was cooler than normal. The coldest winter in America was 1978-1979.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#33 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Joe Bastardi is getting wound up about the possibilities for this upcoming winter!

Another Joe B tweet from earlier today:

"@BigJoeBastardi: I need a drool bucket.. look at the this CFS run from last night on Dec, Jan, Feb. from the weatherbell premium site."

0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#34 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Another Joe B tweet that looks promising for winter lovers here in Texas:

"@BigJoeBastardi: From Weatherbell site Daily CFS run continues forecast for a winter like the late 70s. As cold as past winter was warm."

0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#35 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:23 pm

:uarrow: Moral of those stories being painted above? If such weather materializes, Wxman57 will be having fits next winter! :D

I'm ready for a good old fashioned late 1970s style winter in Texas! Bring it on!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#36 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Climate Prediction Center has good news for the Winter in Texas as El Nino is more closer than ever before. :)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137&hilit=&p=2230512#p2230512
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#37 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:32 am

cycloneye wrote:Climate Prediction Center has good news for the Winter in Texas as El Nino is more closer than ever before. :)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92137&hilit=&p=2230512#p2230512

I'm telling ya folks ... it is coming ... "Texas Winter 2012-13: The Winter of Wxman57's Discontent."

:cheesy:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 am

Woo Hoo. Preach it Porta. Sing it to the highest mountaintops and the lowest valleys. The winter of 2011-2012 was not winter. This winter, may it snow, snow and just downright heck fire snow. I hope it snows so much, Wxman57 has to use snow tires for his bike. LOL

I want to hear him echo the words he uttered before on a cold snap awhile back.

"This one is going to hurt"....:)
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#39 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:03 pm

And just what do you evil lot see up here for y'all to get that much snow??????

frick never mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Another Joe B tweet that looks promising for winter lovers here in Texas:

"@BigJoeBastardi: From Weatherbell site Daily CFS run continues forecast for a winter like the late 70s. As cold as past winter was warm."

warming up my fans to 1/4 speed facing North this upcoming winter.

Full speed south if it is as bad as you folks are praying for .... I don't plan on suffering all alone. :grrr: :lol: :grrr:
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#40 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:57 pm

It's about time you shared some of that winter "fun" with us, Screamer. You hogged it all last winter! :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”