Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
joshb19882004
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#61 Postby joshb19882004 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 pm

im from the rio grande valley the last time we had a el nino it was constantly cold and rainy from fall to spring
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#62 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFcWiM03CaQ[/youtube]

I'm *almost* at the point of wishing a really cold winter on my location just so you folks will cool off (your summer thread is depressing). So if it comes to pass (don't think my fans will work against it this time :roll: ) above is more winter driving instructions and tips.

I really wonder though *just* how long your longest snowfall lasted down there! :wink:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#63 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Ivanhater wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:I will be in Texas this winter (Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo)....looks like it should be interesting winter weather wise :cheesy:

Welcome aboard our mini community! Hope you see lots of snow here this winter! We have a lot of eyes and ears around the state so if there's a flake to fall anywhere you know Portastorm will be on it :wink:

Thanks Porta and Ntxw! I've always followed the Texas winter thread, but this winter I actually get to join in on the fun. I'm sure it is a lot easier to get snow in San Angelo than in Pensacola :lol:

Your first clue was??? :cheesy: :P I do like JB analog winter of 57-58. Iirc we had snow in Gulf Breeze that winter. Somewhere is a picture of me in an astronaut helmet standing out in the snow in our yard.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#64 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:57 pm

We should organize a Storm2K Texans snow chase this winter. I'm thinking New Mexico. :D

Ivanhater wrote:I will be in Texas this winter (Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo)....looks like it should be interesting winter weather wise :cheesy:

Welcome aboard! Bring chapstick, it's a little bit drier than Pensacola. :wink:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby Rgv20 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:03 pm

CFSv2 has a peak of +2c by December! :eek:

Latest outlook from NOAA forecasts above normal rainfall from November thru January for Southern and West Texas....I'm definitely looking forward to Winter! :D

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#66 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:05 pm

Quite depressing that we may see some cold weather next winter, isn't it?
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#67 Postby Portastorm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:47 pm

wxman57 wrote:Quite depressing that we may see some cold weather next winter, isn't it?

You, my friend, will have to warm your cold bones this coming winter with memories of last "winter" and the many 60, 70, and 80 degree days we had when the calendar read "winter." Our time is nearly upon us! The Portastorm Weather Center will be open for business before you know it!
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#68 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Portastorm wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Quite depressing that we may see some cold weather next winter, isn't it?

You, my friend, will have to warm your cold bones this coming winter with memories of last "winter" and the many 60, 70, and 80 degree days we had when the calendar read "winter." Our time is nearly upon us! The Portastorm Weather Center will be open for business before you know it!

I fear you may be right. At least I have the summer to enjoy now.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#69 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Joe bastardi likes to say in a cold PDO Nino: From Dallas to DC that's where winter will be! (or something like that lol). Can hear the whispers in the distance get louder as we nudge closer ;).
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#70 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:57 pm

Well we know two things already about this coming winter:

1) With at least a weak if not moderate Nino in place, the STJ (subtropical jet stream) will be active and providing plenty of precip opportunities for the southern half of the US.

2) It can't be as bad as last "winter." :cheesy:

Those two things right there give me a lot of hope. More discussions to follow.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Look on the bright side, all the pesky insects will be killed, including disease carrying insects. :wink: 8-) :grrr: :ggreen:
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#72 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Happy Fourth of July everyone! :flag:

Don't know about you, but once Independence Day comes and goes, it's like a little internal clock begins ticking within me.

The year is half over, the days are slowly but surely starting to get shorter, and the seasons I love the most - autumn and winter - are on their way.

Let the countdown to Winter 2012-13 - the winter of Wxman57's discontent - begin! :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#73 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:08 am

Porta,this graphic tells it all about how good the winter will be in Texas with El Nino around until the Spring. :)

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#74 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:27 am

Ptarmigan wrote:

Look on the bright side, all the pesky insects will be killed, including disease carrying insects. :wink: 8-) :grrr: :ggreen:

Alaskan winters don't kill the insects (mosquitoes), why should a few freezes kill them here? Should be significantly different from last year's great winter. El Nino quite likely now.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#75 Postby Portastorm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:45 am

First off, Texas Snowman ... loved your post! :uarrow:

Second, Luis thanks for that awesome graphic. Really tells the story.

With a Nino quite likely now for this coming winter, I believe we need to be asking what sort of Nino will it be? A west-based Nino is often much colder for the southern Plains and Texas as an east-based Nino. Or, will it be consistent basinwide?

Of course we know there will be other parameters at play such as the AO, the NAO, the PDO, and the WHTMS. You may be wondering about that last one. It is the What Happened To My Snow? parameter! I use that one a lot. :lol:

More serious, I am quite pleased to see a Nino coming as we can all agree that more precip chances are a good thing. Whether they are all liquid or frozen, I'll just be grateful for a season of weather which may help fill the depleted lakes and aquifers in this part of the good, ol' US of A.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:28 am

wxman57 wrote:
Alaskan winters don't kill the insects (mosquitoes), why should a few freezes kill them here? Should be significantly different from last year's great winter. El Nino quite likely now.

I should of said reduced the insect population. More specifically reduce disease carrying like ticks or mosquitoes. :grrr:

Not all El Nino winters are cold, but usually they are.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#77 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:38 am

[Let the countdown to Winter 2012-13 - the winter of Wxman57's discontent - begin! :D[/quote]

Woo Hoo. Lets get the snow plows gassed and tuned up. He will have to use snow chains on his bike tires!!!! Woo HOo
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:39 am

What say of the PWC? The burning questions are such ( and MUST be addressed)

1. Will TCU be competitive their first year in the Big 12?
2. Rolling Stones or The Beatles?
3. How much snow could we get?

Woo Hoo
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby MGC » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:59 pm

You guys should start an over/under for the date of the first freeze at IAH......MGC
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#80 Postby Portastorm » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 am

Hey MGC, that is a great idea! Love it! :lol:

Meanwhile, here is what Grey Goose-swilling mets at the Portastorm Weather Center have to say about Tireman4's questions:

1) Absolutely
2) Beatles
3) More than 1 inch but less than 5 inches.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”