Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#261 Postby gboudx » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 pm

Longhornmaniac8 wrote:So my guess is the front arrives between 4-5 pm on Saturday. Should make for great football weather!

We call it, "gumbo weather". Saturday will be perfect gumbo weather in DFW. Chicken and sausage gumbo is on the menu. :)
0 likes   

Terri
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#262 Postby Terri » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm

gboudx wrote:
Longhornmaniac8 wrote:So my guess is the front arrives between 4-5 pm on Saturday. Should make for great football weather!

We call it, "gumbo weather". Saturday will be perfect gumbo weather in DFW. Chicken and sausage gumbo is on the menu. :)

Boy!!! You are SO on the mark! Rancho del Thibodeaux will be having gumbo and potato salad this weekend. I have been waiting for three months to make the first big pot of kitchen sink gumbo (chicken, sausage, shrimp and crawfish tails) to go with open windows and the sound of a football game on the TV. CA C'ES BON!!!!

(p.s. - I am a displaced Cajun where fresh seafood is a rarity - until I go home and cart some back to my freezer!)
0 likes   
Terri
Rural Williamson County, Tx

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#263 Postby Portastorm » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:08 am

:uarrow:

Hey Terri, what time do you want us to come over?! :cheesy:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Terri
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#264 Postby Terri » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:39 am

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

Hey Terri, what time do you want us to come over?! :cheesy:

I always make enough for an army! :lol:
Isn't the weather this morning simply lovely?!??!
0 likes   
Terri

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#265 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Winter? It's 86f here in West Houston. Where is the front??? :roll: :roll: Terri, hold some of that gumbo for me I am leaving now!!! :cheesy:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#266 Postby Texas Snowman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:24 pm

48 degrees here in Denison at 4:20 p.m. North wind @ 15 mph. Wind chill in the low 40s. Low tonight and tomorrow night perhaps as low as 39.

Football/gumbo/hunting/non-bike riding weather! :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Terri
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#267 Postby Terri » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:48 degrees here in Denison at 4:20 p.m. North wind @ 15 mph. Wind chill in the low 40s. Low tonight and tomorrow night perhaps as low as 39.

Football/gumbo/hunting/non-bike riding weather! :D

:uarrow: :D
0 likes   
Terri

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#268 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:56 am

0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#269 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am

Meant to post this yesterday: skies finally cleared out overnight Sunday, winds dropped to nothing, and radiational cooling was on!

Result? An Oct. 8th official low for Sherman/Denison (North Texas Regional Airport) of 34 degrees! Fair amount of frost in the area too.

That low shattered the old record low of 38 degrees set back in 1952.

Hope the extremely early brush with a freeze is a harbinger of things to come this winter! :D :cold: :froze:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#270 Postby gboudx » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:25 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Hope the extremely early brush with a freeze is a harbinger of things to come this winter!

I hope it killed a good amount of ragweed too. Even with allergy medication, I'm still suffering. Image
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Re:

#271 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 pm

gboudx wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:Hope the extremely early brush with a freeze is a harbinger of things to come this winter!

I hope it killed a good amount of ragweed too. Even with allergy medication, I'm still suffering. Image

Me too!! I have been miserable for weeks. We didn't even get into the 40's in Houston. :eek: :eek: :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#272 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Ditto, one of the worst fall allergy seasons that I've ever experienced as an adult. I can't tell you how excited I was to have frost on my roof yesterday morning!
0 likes   

amawea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#273 Postby amawea » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm

North Alaska just turned much colder. Anaktuvuk hit 9 degrees this morning. That's the coldest so far this fall. I watch those temps up there and the hieghts. The GFS model is showing another cold front that will bring some fall temps in about 240 hrs.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#274 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:48 pm

amawea wrote:North Alaska just turned much colder. Anaktuvuk hit 9 degrees this morning. That's the coldest so far this fall. I watch those temps up there and the hieghts. The GFS model is showing another cold front that will bring some fall temps in about 240 hrs.

I'm not buying what the GFS is selling yet about that cold. The pattern the next week to week and a half is not conducive for cold diving down, think it will head more towards eastern Canada and the northeast, we'll have to wait a little longer I believe.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#275 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Ntxw wrote:
amawea wrote:North Alaska just turned much colder. Anaktuvuk hit 9 degrees this morning. That's the coldest so far this fall. I watch those temps up there and the hieghts. The GFS model is showing another cold front that will bring some fall temps in about 240 hrs.

I'm not buying what the GFS is selling yet about that cold. The pattern the next week to week and a half is not conducive for cold diving down, think it will head more towards eastern Canada and the northeast, we'll have to wait a little longer I believe.

Thanks to Dumb and Dumber ( They are making a part 2..woo hoo)..in relation to the chance GFS could be right....now:)

Lloyd: What are the chances we could see cold weather before late October...?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*
0 likes   

amawea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#276 Postby amawea » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks to Dumb and Dumber ( They are making a part 2..woo hoo)..in relation to the chance GFS could be right....now:)

Lloyd: What are the chances we could see cold weather before late October...?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!*

Well I bet Wxman57 is getting a bit happier! He will be listening to and siding with dumber. :lol:
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#277 Postby gpsnowman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:40 pm

I know this has been touched on with previous posts but I have noticed several neighborhood trees quickly changing their colors in the last few days. Also one of my backyard trees is producing large acorns much earlier than normal. The Monarch butterflies are all over the place and have been for a couple of weeks. All these are much earlier than the last couple of autumns. The last time I noticed this was in 2009 and we all know that winter was cold and snowy. What does all this mean? Wish I knew. Maybe, just maybe it is a good sign. :cold:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#278 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:23 pm

If the number of acorns we are being bombarded with(it is not safe to walk outside my house)is any indication of what winter will be like, then it will be HISTORICAL!!!
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#279 Postby Ntxw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Latest JAMSTEC is out. It still shows the coldest temperatures in the northern hemisphere (relative to average) will be located in the central part of the United States and western Europe for DJF.

Edit: GFS is such a tease :roll:. The 1040mb+ high pressure has been persistent though

Yes, that is 1050mb!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#280 Postby iorange55 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:55 pm

GFS has been showing some significant cold towards the end of the month for awhile now. Looks like we're probably in line for a big cool down, but just how big is the question :P

This fall/winter is already more interesting than last fall/winter.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”