Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#161 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:00 am

"Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"
:cold: :jacket: :froze:

Hard to think about right now when they are forecasting 102 degrees through Friday in Austin. :roll: But it cools me off to think about it in any case! :wink:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#162 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:36 pm

There is a powerful Aleutian/Bering storm hitting near Anchorage with several more to swing through this month. It is partially responsible for changing the 5h pattern that will drive down the cold front this weekend. Hopefully this is a sign that lows over this region will continue it's barrage through winter. The pattern on the maps are indicative of cold outbreaks *if this were winter :roll:* but it's Sept.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-b ... orld/71969
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#163 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Ntxw wrote:Alright now that it's September it's time to put out my thoughts and forecast for winter(Sorry Porta I'm taking a jump before you :P )

ENSO
Current values indicate weak El Nino may have taken hold. After looking at analog years with Nino's after Nina or Neutral couplet I believe our best fit situation is a low end moderate El Nino. Peaking around 1.0c - 1.3c anywhere from October to December is my pick.

It is also evident that it will be Central Based Nino in regions 3.4 defined by 120-170W.

Analog Years for DJF (Meteorological winter)
Best Fit: 1976-1977, 2002-2003

Temps for those two seasons
http://i46.tinypic.com/zxmxvo.png[/img][img]http://i46.tinypic.com/28l9xcn.png

Honorable Mentions - These two seasons were El Ninos after Ninas but were higher end moderate. Also had a lot of blocking.

2009-2010
1957-1958

http://i45.tinypic.com/wmh40g.png

Summary
So all in all what does this mean? It's likely to be a colder than average winter for Texas and surrounding states. Wettest areas will be the southern half of the state. The two best fit analogs suggest December will be the fun month with a quiet period in January. February could be average with a cold shot. Overall winter in terms of precip normal to slightly above normal statewide, wettest to the south less wet to the north (this is not snowfall just overall precip, colder temps can have above snow even with less precip).

One big caveat is blocking. 1957-1958, 2009-2010 was pretty much wall to wall cold with a pronounced -AO and -NAO. If these two features exists this year January and February could be very cold as well. Unfortunately they are hard to predict this time of year and we will know probably Oct or Nov. So right now it's best to stick with the more conservative solution.

Last season the analog years screamed warm and snowless (1975-1976, 2001-2002, 2008-2009), but being a cold monger I disregarded it. This year the analogs are much friendlier.

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow :cold:

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any disappointments due to lack of delivery. I am just a wing of the PWC forecast center so any questions or concerns please direct them toward the chief forecaster. All forecasts are final, not valid in Austin or Wxman57's house (omega blocks).

That is my thinking too.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#164 Postby Portastorm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:48 am

The Grey Goose-swilling meteorologists at the Portastorm Weather Center continue to conduct research and write their 2012-13 Texas Winter Forecast. The official release date will be Sunday, September 16th.

Here is a little teaser:

The PWC is looking once, looking twice
for prospects of Texas snow and ice
The early signs are looking good
For a real winter in Wxman57's 'hood.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Terri
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#165 Postby Terri » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Well, I am a craft beer swilling fellow Texan that you are KILLING with all this talk of ice and snow.... BRING-IT-ON!!! :cold:
0 likes   
Terri
Rural Williamson County, Tx

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#166 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Those in Texas will be happy to see this graphic valid from September 20-26. :) Will this early cooldown signal a very cold winter for the state?

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#167 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

... or not.

It's a sad time of year for us heat lovers. Days are getting shorter, the jet stream is dipping south. I stop posting in "Talkin' Tropics" and look for the "Texas Winter" thread. Nothing to look forward to for the next 5 months but gloomy cold weather. Soon I'll be driving to work before sunrise and coming home at sunset. I miss summer already... :cry:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#168 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

It will last throughout the rest of this month Cycloneye and early Oct! Sept/October patterns can give hints to how the winter storm tracks/cold pool will behave.

Usually the cool pattern is transient at this time but not the case this go around.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#169 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:25 pm

wxman57 wrote:... or not.

It's a sad time of year for us heat lovers. Days are getting shorter, the jet stream is dipping south. I stop posting in "Talkin' Tropics" and look for the "Texas Winter" thread. Nothing to look forward to for the next 5 months but gloomy cold weather. Soon I'll be driving to work before sunrise and coming home at sunset. I miss summer already... :cry:

Purchase the snow tires for your bike now sir. It is, as they say, on!!!!! :) :cold:
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#170 Postby Janie2006 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Okay, but that map is based on the GFS at a considerable distance in time from now.....it's almost in Kool-Aid land. A full latitude trough. The 500 mb map shows the 5400 thickness line dropping into northen/central Missouri! I'll grant that it's shown that particular solution for a couple of runs now, but I'm not on board with this yet. OTOH, could be a sign of things to come. I'd love this to be true, but I'm not biting on it at the moment.
0 likes   

Terri
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#171 Postby Terri » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:56 pm

wxman57 wrote:... or not.

:froze: I am so sorry wx57... I used to live near Houston in Port Arthur...then moved to the Hill Country just to get away from the overwhelming humidity. While we still have humidity - at least I don't sweat between my fingers!!! :lol: If you want to ride a bike in blow dryer like heat, I invite you to try Loop 360 during mid August in Austin. After that, paramedical help may be required! For me, fall is a welcome respite from living in a "running clothes dryer set on high!" Don't fret! The world will continue to turn and summer will return! p.s. - the only thing I miss is the food - hard for a true blue Cajun to eat what passes for a seafood restaurant here. Bring on the :froze:
0 likes   
Terri
Rural Williamson County, Tx

amawea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#172 Postby amawea » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 am

They are forecasting lows in the 40's for north Arkansas next Tuesday night so maybe Texas will get a little cool down and lower humidity. I have 3 daughters that live down there and they want snow thi swinter big time.
I hope Texas and Arkansas get a good snowy winter. :)
0 likes   

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby iorange55 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:13 am

Huffingtonpost article on this upcoming winter...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/arctic-ice-melt-extreme-weather_n_1878833.html?ncid=webmail3

Nothing really "new" but it's an interesting read, I suppose.
0 likes   

AggieSpirit
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#174 Postby AggieSpirit » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 pm

iorange55 wrote:Huffingtonpost article on this upcoming winter...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/arctic-ice-melt-extreme-weather_n_1878833.html?ncid=webmail3

Nothing really "new" but it's an interesting read, I suppose.

Awesome. If it is colder and snowier, AGW believers cite AGW. If it's hotter or there are floods or droughts, AGW believers cite AGW.
0 likes   

Comanche
Category 1
Category 1

#175 Postby Comanche » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Is this going to be our prevailing winter pattern? Nice -NAO look...

0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#176 Postby Janie2006 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 pm

^^ That's the kind of pattern cold weather lovers want to see. That colder air has no place to go *but* south, so one could safely predict a series of cold fronts making their way into the CONUS, especially through the Midwest and into the South....basically the eastern part of the country. The negative NAO doing its job...look at those height anomalies over central and southern Greenland.

Maybe we'll end up with some record-breaking cool air early in the Fall season. Hrmmmmm.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:30 am

Bastardi also talked about in a tweet this morning saying whenever there is a major Typhoo in the Pacific, translates to a trough in the East about 10 days out.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#178 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Old farmer's Almanac has their predictions out, always entertaining :lol:

They're using good ole Nino forecasting

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#179 Postby Portastorm » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:03 am

Unfortunately, time management challenges have thrown a "wrench into the works" with the Portastorm Weather Center's 2012-13 winter forecast for Texas. And no, rumors regarding rampant Grey Goose partying as the cause for the delay are untrue ... no matter what Tireman tells you! :lol:

We hope to have it finished and released by September 23rd. I can tell you that wxman57 probably won't like our forecast.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#180 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Ntxw wrote:Old farmer's Almanac has their predictions out, always entertaining :lol:

They're using good ole Nino forecasting

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange

Here is the whole graphic from them that all will like if you believe this. :) I know that wxman57 will not agree. :)

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Winter Weather”