Texas Winter 2012-2013

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#221 Postby Ntxw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Ok now back to more optimism! I heard JB talk a lot about JAMSTEC. So I thought hey why not look into it. Behold they have a great long range website. And this is what it showed for the upcoming winter.

ImageImage

Nice isn't it? Ok so yeah I thought to myself it could be one of those crazy models that's always predicting cold. Well it wasn't! I looked at it's forecast for the past 3 seasons from Sept/Oct for the DJF and voila, it was very reasonable! It had the warm winter for the eastern US last year. It was a bit too warm for 2010-2011 but the idea was not too terribly bad, probably too hung up on enso climo though.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

JackCruz
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Texas Winter 2012-2013

#222 Postby JackCruz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Houston needs a good snow storm this winter...pleasssssssssssseeeeeeeee :cold: :cold: or at least some record breaking low temps...I would like to see some teens like few years back...it got down to 18 in Cypress, TX!!! Lovvvvvvve it
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#223 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm

-EPO is hinting it's head again in the longer range on various models. Perhaps an early freeze for the high plains of west Texas? This -EPO pattern seems to be the configure of choice thus far. But we are talking in the very long range so food for thought.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#224 Postby Portastorm » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Ntxw wrote:-EPO is hinting it's head again in the longer range on various models. Perhaps an early freeze for the high plains of west Texas? This -EPO pattern seems to be the configure of choice thus far. But we are talking in the very long range so food for thought.

Yeah, I saw a tweet from JB today that indicated that one of the CMC ensemble members showed temps 30 degrees (F) below normal for west Texas in two weeks. Both the GFS and Euro have hinted at this for a few days but without consistency. Will be interesting to watch how/if it unfolds.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#225 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Looks like something PWC mets drew up.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#226 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:42 pm

Cross polar flow. Saw that a few days ago and posted about it. That looks like it would nail west Texas huh?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#227 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:56 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Cross polar flow. Saw that a few days ago and posted about it. That looks like it would nail west Texas huh?

Yeah, Texas and the central conus in general. It's just west Texas is better prone to freezes in October due to elevation etc. GFS shows it too and has the 0c line quite south into the central plains states. It would also feature a southern stream storm, wouldn't be too crazy if it's the first big storm of the fall season.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#228 Postby Ntxw » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:05 am

Got a hold of this just in time as I got intelligence that wxman57 was about to stash it and make alterations.

:lol:

This one frame of this one run probably means nothing, but it's just one of the long clues the models have been trying to give us about pending air masses coming to a town near you!
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#229 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:28 am

Ntxw wrote:Got a hold of this just in time as I got intelligence that wxman57 was about to stash it and make alterations.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1j67ar.gif

:lol:

This one frame of this one run probably means nothing, but it's just one of the long clues the models have been trying to give us about pending air masses coming to a town near you!

I like the "trend". Obviously way to early to call it for sure as a cold snowy winter, but the clues continue to be there.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#230 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 pm

I just like that heavy precipitation out ahead of the front in North Texas. :)
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Comanche
Category 1
Category 1

#231 Postby Comanche » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:34 am

wxman57 wrote:Anyone waiting to hear my forecast for the Texas winter? :grrr:

......and still waiting......(put the bike down, step away and GET TO WORK)
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#232 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:31 am

55F this morning in SL. Feels great this morning!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cctxhurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#233 Postby cctxhurricanewatcher » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:31 pm

It might happen for Portastorm this year. It just might......

I have a good feeling we'll have a cool to cold winter this year. I don't know if it's related, but back in August during the 100 degree evenings we had late into the month. I noticed flocks of geese flying south much earlier than usuall.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#234 Postby Portastorm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 pm

:uarrow:

Well, well, well ... look who woke up?! :lol:

CC, I think we may have to educate a few newer folks here about the whole Lucy and Charlie Brown thing. I have a feeling that you're right though and I'll have my chances.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#235 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:54 pm

I don't know if this has anything to do with Winter, but we have an over the top acorn crop this year. I have never seen this many acorns coming out of the tree ever and we have been in this house 25 years. It might be a bounce back due to the drought last year, but ??? The acorns are so thick on the ground our feet don't touch the ground and I have swept them a couple of times.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#236 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:58 pm

vbhoutex wrote:I don't know if this has anything to do with Winter, but we have an over the top acorn crop this year. I have never seen this many acorns coming out of the tree ever and we have been in this house 25 years. It might be a bounce back due to the drought last year, but ??? The acorns are so thick on the ground our feet don't touch the ground and I have swept them a couple of times.

Here we go....Stepping down, as Srain would say. I think this winter will be very very interesting....
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#237 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
vbhoutex wrote:I don't know if this has anything to do with Winter, but we have an over the top acorn crop this year. I have never seen this many acorns coming out of the tree ever and we have been in this house 25 years. It might be a bounce back due to the drought last year, but ??? The acorns are so thick on the ground our feet don't touch the ground and I have swept them a couple of times.

Here we go....Stepping down, as Srain would say. I think this winter will be very very interesting....

I have to agree with the stepping down. If you add in even the hot temps from a week ago, that was even a step down from the previous weeks, so it appears to me we have a slow trend downward. Come on cool Fall and cold wet Winter. :cold:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#238 Postby Portastorm » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Accuweather's website actually had a story on this subject just a few days ago.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/acorn-production-hindcast-not/80849
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#239 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Ive noticed the EXACT same thing. Been at this house for 5 years and never do i remember the acorns constantly falling off the tree and hearing the 'thud' on the roof. Hear it maybe every 20 minutes. What does this entail for the weather?
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#240 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:33 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:

Ive noticed the EXACT same thing. Been at this house for 5 years and never do i remember the acorns constantly falling off the tree and hearing the 'thud' on the roof. Hear it maybe every 20 minutes. What does this entail for the weather?

A horde of squirrels...LOL...:)
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”