Atlanta Traffic...still stuck 16 hours and onging

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Atlanta Traffic...still stuck 16 hours and onging

#1 Postby angelwing » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:11 am

Wasn't sure where to put this one, people are still stuck in traffic, it is a total mess, here is one news site:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/mi ... orm/nc5Dq/

Also twitter, if you search out Atlanta Traffi there are some pics there :eek:

Home depot had open stores up for shelters, facebook page (SnowedOutATlanta)people are asking for help and there are people helping...total mess there!!!!
0 likes   
Agnes 72, Gloria 85, Floyd 99, Irene 2011, TS Lee 2012, Sandy 2012

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Tstormwatcher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 am

Wow, that's incredible. Also heard students had to spend the night in schools all over the south.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gboudx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:02 pm

A friend of ours had to abandon her car 2 miles from their house and walk the rest of the way. She said at 1pm they got notice that the schools were releasing students, but it was a little late by then. Two school buses had t-boned and caused traffic to be backed up, and she was spinning her tires without moving. Sounds like the schools let out too late and this even happened at the wrong time.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Atlanta Traffic...still stuck 16 hours and onging

#4 Postby Portastorm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Actually this sort of thing occurred here in Austin (Texas) when I first moved here in 1984. January 1985 brought not one but two snow events. During one of them, all schools and businesses let out at the same time during the day and the end result was chaos. I had to abandon my car at a restaurant parking lot and walked 1.5 miles to my brother's work at the newspaper. Got very lucky because the paper put everyone up that night at the hotel next to the newspaper building.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Return to “Winter Weather”