Northwest Winter Weather 12-13

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
greenkat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Northwest Winter Weather 12-13

#1 Postby greenkat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Hit by a sudden hailstorm here in Central Seattle... And now it's sunny... Jeez! This never happens here in October! :eek: Hail a 1/4 inch wide...
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org.

Hope this helped ;)

greenkat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby greenkat » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Hit by another round of hail/graupel from 5:58-6:03PM with 1/6-1/4 inch hail. :eek: If it seems like I'm freaking out more than I should, it's probably because I am. This kind of thing only happens about 3 or 2 times a year here, and that's in the winter months. So I think I have a good excuse to freak out. :wink:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org.

Hope this helped ;)

NoCalGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby NoCalGal » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Here in far No. California, we were "supposed" to be having a bad bad 3/4 day storm. What a bust!!! Got alot of wind and a bit of rain, but nothing like projected.
So much hype make people not pay much attention next time. :(
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Northwest Winter Weather 12-13

#4 Postby ravyrn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 am

Bumping this thread. I'll be traveling to Vancouver Island on the 7th and staying til the 18th. I was raised in Louisiana and have been living in Texas for the past couple years. So I'm hoping to see some snow up that way while I'm visiting. However, I'm having a hard time reading the models for island because elevation changes and moderation by sea are two areas I'm fairly unfamiliar with reading the models pertaining to the white stuff. Can anyone more seasoned/educated please give me a run down of what to expect? I'll mostly be in Victoria, with a 4 day stay a little up island @ Lake Cowichan. Thank you.

EDIT: Looking at the GFS and EURO, it seems temps hover right above and below freezing for the most part. This is a mountainous island so I'm not exactly sure which map I should be looking at on the models. Looks like I may get a couple of shots @ snow while in Cowichan, but none in Victoria. Does this assessment of the models seem accurate? Any advice, insight, evaluation would be greatly appreciated.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#5 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:25 am

NOT a weather expert here but as a Canadian I can tell you that snow falling in Victoria is a very rare event. Head to the hills :wink: if you want to see the white stuff.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 am

I have not looked at the models yet, but SS is right concerning Victoria and snow since it is right on the water. If I see something in the models I will post back.

edit: It looks like at least one very wet period during your stay(not surprising) with basically normal temps for that area which pretty much supports "head for the hills" if you want snow.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby ravyrn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but if worse comes to worse, I'll visit Mt. Washington in the center portion of the island. I believe its about 3,000 ft @ at its base and 5,000 ft @ its peak. If worse comes to worse, I'll stop by there for an afternoon to get my snow fix :D I have never been snowboarding or skiing, so I'll just go tubing for the day lol. Tubing can't be that hard :P
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#8 Postby ravyrn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 pm

SaskatchewanScreamer wrote:NOT a weather expert here but as a Canadian I can tell you that snow falling in Victoria is a very rare event. Head to the hills :wink: if you want to see the white stuff.

Yeah I reckon I might! Luckily my girlfriend is an islander so she knows where to take me to see the white stuff. If you don't mind though, you could turn one fan to your west. I'm sure my friends and neighbors in Texas won't mind. Looks like they've got plenty headed their way already :D
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Yeah, I suspect it's not much different than Seattle. Cloudy and drizzly, I will say keep an eye on the cold blast effecting North America by then. The -PNA can sometimes deliver snow even to sea level in the Pacific NW
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby ravyrn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Some beautiful photos taken around Lake Cowichan, Vancouver Island, BC.

I'll try to post some more pics later of higher quality. Just doing whats quick and easy at the moment from my cellphone. Forgot my cord for the camera.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Great photos, keep em coming! I've always wanted to visit that part of the world, been as close as Oregon. Skiing at Whistler would be something...
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby ravyrn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Went snowshoeing yesterday morning. Here's the pics.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”