Ohio Valley, Great Plains, All Other Areas...

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Dave
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#21 Postby Dave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Hijack away RL...I changed the title name to include you & all places besides the specific threads. ;)
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#22 Postby RL3AO » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 pm

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Ohio Valley, Great Plains, All Other Areas...

#23 Postby tolakram » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 pm

We just picked up the most snow of any single storm this season and the prediction was for snow changing to rain, no accumulation. The newly updated Canadian was the only model to call for snowfall around here today.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#24 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:50 pm

tolakram wrote:We just picked up the most snow of any single storm this season and the prediction was for snow changing to rain, no accumulation. The newly updated Canadian was the only model to call for snowfall around here today.

How much did you get? I think Dave had like 4" of snow and they were calling for a dusting I think.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 am

I got a rain/snow mix. No accumulation here.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#26 Postby tolakram » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 am

According to the wife and neighbor we had about 4 inches, and everything was beautiful. By the time I got home most had melted. :(
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SaskatchewanScreamer

#27 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:54 am

Did she take a picture of it tolakram?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#28 Postby tolakram » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 am

Nope. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby Stephanie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm glad to see that the middle of the country is getting beneficial snow. I know it's been terrribly dry out there and hopefully this past storm and the next one cranking up now is a positive sign of more moisture.

Blizzards and ice are no picnic, but the end result of more moisture in the atmosphere and for the land and crops makes it worthwhile.

Stay safe!
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#30 Postby RL3AO » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:34 am

Six inches and counting.

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#31 Postby tolakram » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Come on snow!

Latest WPC forecast totals (note the HPC changed its name today to the WPC). Will be a fitting winter if we get the biggest snowfall of the year in meteorological spring and then hit 55F this Sunday.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#32 Postby RL3AO » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Low of 0 and windchills of -20 on first day of spring.

Sigh.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#33 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 pm

:D I have company!

:lol:
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#34 Postby tolakram » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Winter may want to be over but here we go. GFS and Euro show significant snow accumulations for this weekend. Anywhere from 4 to 8 inches for Cinci (CVG). Crazy crazy crazy. It's 28F outside right now, last year we were in the 80's. :D
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

SaskatchewanScreamer

#35 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 pm

I wish some here would post pictures of what is happening in their various locations. We had a very quick news story about snow storms down in Kansas and various other locations well South of the International border.

2011 and 2013.... the winters from Hell.
0 likes   

blizznd
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#36 Postby blizznd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi I wanted to step in and say hello from Grand Forks North Dakota. For those not familiar with our region....we are in the Red River of the North valley....or just Red River valley...70 miles north of Fargo and about 140 south of Winnipeg. I am a forecaster with NWS Grand Forks. This time of year our focus is on spring snow melt flooding and this year is no different. Had higher than normal snowfall Feb-March and a colder March (about -10F from average) means a late melt. Setting records for highest snow depth for April 1st in many areas. So focus for our area will be upcoming systems as the pattern changes and the -AO and blocking gives way and we try to get warmer but stormier. We also get a fair amount of severe weather in the summer.....Jun-Aug.....an active but short severe wx period. Most of our tornadoes are weak F0 or F1....but we have had several F4 and one F5 in the past decade. Our forecast area covers all of eastern ND into northwestern Minnesota.... take care....
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#37 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Welcome aboard!! I look forward to learning a lot more about weather in your area of the NA continent. If there is one place this amateur is lacking that would be it.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

blizznd
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#38 Postby blizznd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:59 pm

vbhoutex wrote:Welcome aboard!! I look forward to learning a lot more about weather in your area of the NA continent. If there is one place this amateur is lacking that would be it.

Thanks.... I also like to answer questions if anyone has about the NWS and what we do... you can message me if you wish. I am a loly forecaster but been around enough to know somethings. I love my area and always wanted to live in the northern U.S. Growing up in Kentucky got the hot/humid weather out of my system.....
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#39 Postby RL3AO » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Welcome aboard. I live in Red Wing, MN which is in the southeast part of MPX's AOR. Nice having someone from the upper plains/Midwest area.

By the way, hows the Red River doing? Sounds like its going to be another bad year.
0 likes   

blizznd
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#40 Postby blizznd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 pm

RL3AO wrote:Welcome aboard. I live in Red Wing, MN which is in the southeast part of MPX's AOR. Nice having someone from the upper plains/Midwest area.

By the way, hows the Red River doing? Sounds like its going to be another bad year.

Red River flooding could be bad in many areas.... lots of caveats this season. Number last summer and fall were quite dry....but frost depths are quite low in the 60 inch range.... so question is how much water can infiltrate the soil. A slow melt of water can do that....but the issue is if you get a flash melt and rain on top I am afraid it will be mostly run off into the river channels. Snowpack in some areas are records for late in the season....esp in the far southern valley (south of Fargo to Wahpeton into far northeast South Dakota and east toward Fergus Falls where SWE 5 to 6 inches remain common. The mid valley around Grand Forks has quite a bit of black dirt showing snow in the fields due to the last warm up with highs in the 30s. Far northern valley very deep snowpack north of Devils Lake into southern Manitoba.

So could still go ok and just get into the low end of major at certain spots but odds are increasing for being into April of a quick melt of river ice and snow and rain. With continued flood protection work most communties can handle a lot more flooding than 10-15 years ago. Flood protection for Grand Forks and East Grand Forks was completed in 2007 using a combination of flood walls and levees....and protects both cities to 60 ft or so. What floods is the greenway along the rivers but no structures. Fargo has done lots of work too since the 09 record flood and similar protection to 42 ft requires over half less of sandbags than it did back then. Rural farm land and towns would still take a hit though...esp if over 38 ft around Fargo and over 46-48ft in Grand Forks.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”