Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9981 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:28 am

Another of my favorite memories this winter is this very amazing moment happening right now today...
Last edited by Texas Snowman on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9982 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am

Because we just went to 500 pages in this thread on St. Patrick's Day!!!

In many ways, this truly was/is the winter of Wxman 57's discontent!

Mugs of green hot chocolate for everyone around!!!!

:cold: :froze: :D :jacket: :sled: :yow: :thermo:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9983 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:42 am

Portastorm, before you lock the doors on the PWC winter forecast office for the spring and summer months and shutter this thread, expect a closing news release about the winter of 2013/14. :D
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#9984 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 am

This has certainly been one of the coldest winters that I can remember. I just wish there could have been more precipitation to go along with the cold temperatures. I really hope this summer is like 2007! I feel like it rained almost every day that summer!
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#9985 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:46 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Portastorm, before you lock the doors on the PWC winter forecast office for the spring and summer months and shutter this thread, expect a closing news release about the winter of 2013/14. :D

You sir, have carried us over the threshold! Well done Texas Snowman! Well done. :D

We all will look forward to that press release. And geez louise, temps next weekend are looking stoopid cold for Texas, in terms of relative to normal. Winter won't let go.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#9986 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:00 am

Portastorm wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:Portastorm, before you lock the doors on the PWC winter forecast office for the spring and summer months and shutter this thread, expect a closing news release about the winter of 2013/14. :D

You sir, have carried us over the threshold! Well done Texas Snowman! Well done. :D

We all will look forward to that press release. And geez louise, temps next weekend are looking stoopid cold for Texas, in terms of relative to normal. Winter won't let go.

And the final week of March isn't looking much better. :wink: I'm beginning to wonder if this pattern will finally relax as enter April.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#9987 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:30 am

srainhoutx wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

And the final week of March isn't looking much better. :wink: I'm beginning to wonder if this pattern will finally relax as enter April.

It is omega block in Alaska/Aleutian low combo just like late Feb early March. First core aims for east then second bigger batch aims for plains. Obscene this is still occuring, will we ever see bluebonnets this year??
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Lagreeneyes03
Category 1
Category 1

#9988 Postby Lagreeneyes03 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:15 pm

I know not to take it as anything close to gospel, but the Accuweather forcast for DFW area shows daily below normal temps, as much as 7-8F below normal every single day except for 1 or 2 as far out as they go. What model do they look at? Their short range and Weather.com short range are completely different for next week though.

And Steve McCauley still saying hot and dry summer...........wish he'd elaborate on what hes seeing.
0 likes   
I'm a Princess, not a forecaster.

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#9989 Postby Tejas89 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm

And Steve McCauley still saying hot and dry summer...........wish he'd elaborate on what hes seeing.

This has been one of the driest years on record, since Jan. 1, and the chilled waters of the gulf aren't helping. No moisture in the ground and no pattern change = hot n' dry for North Texas. That is the obvious safe bet.

Need an El Nino... and a strong one at that.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9990 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:21 pm

This is a valid point. Without vegetation temps can go higher than normal. On the flip side one must consider the same pattern does not give the same results in different seasons. This is why I never bought into the wet spring and thunderstorms. NW flow with cold air still dominating is dry in winter and spring. However the same flow in summer yields numerous thunderstorm complexes from the high plains as discussed by ports previously.

To intensify drought it needs La Nina or -PDO values grow, neither are present or expected. So while we may not be wetter than normal down the road, there is not good support for continued dry once past the seasonal barrier.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9991 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:30 pm

I've been measuring a good bit of rain in SW Houston this year. More rain than last year, certainly in February and March. January this year was a little drier than normal. Here's a comparison of this year vs. 2013:

12Z GFS paints a lovely picture of a cold and wet weather to start out next week:

0 likes   

Tcu101
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9992 Postby Tcu101 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:50 pm

wxman57 wrote:I've been measuring a good bit of rain in SW Houston this year. More rain than last year, certainly in February and March. January this year was a little drier than normal. Here's a comparison of this year vs. 2013:

http://home.comcast.net/~cgh57/2014rain.gif

12Z GFS paints a lovely picture of a cold and wet weather to start out next week:

Wow that was a lot of rain in April last year! Did that come all in one rain event or spread out through the month?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9993 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Tcu101 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I've been measuring a good bit of rain in SW Houston this year. More rain than last year, certainly in February and March. January this year was a little drier than normal. Here's a comparison of this year vs. 2013:

Wow that was a lot of rain in April last year! Did that come all in one rain event or spread out through the month?

That was mostly one event (about 8") over a period of several hours centered over the Brays Bayou watershed in SW Houston. June-August of 2013 were a little dry, as was December 2013 and January of this year. However, rainfall in SW Houston isn't too much below normal. 2011 was quite dry, with around 22" (normal is 50+ inches).
0 likes   

Tcu101
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9994 Postby Tcu101 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:58 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Tcu101 wrote:

That was mostly one event (about 8") over a period of several hours centered over the Brays Bayou watershed in SW Houston. June-August of 2013 were a little dry, as was December 2013 and January of this year. However, rainfall in SW Houston isn't too much below normal. 2011 was quite dry, with around 22" (normal is 50+ inches).

Little off topic from "winter" but speaking of watershed in Houston , do any of those bayou's in Houston feed into any lakes? Or they all spill into the bays?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9995 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Back on the grid after SXSW, looks like the NW flow will continue. I think Dallas has a few freezes left under their belt
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9996 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:18 pm

At work, haven't seen it. But it sounds like Old Man Winter continues to want to wear out his welcome...

@BigJoeBastardi: @RyanMaue ECMWF is a sick dog at 5k day 6-10. Not even when I doodled maps in class, would I draw something like that for late March.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9997 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Tcu101 wrote:
Little off topic from "winter" but speaking of watershed in Houston , do any of those bayou's in Houston feed into any lakes? Or they all spill into the bays?

They generally feed into Galveston Bay.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9998 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:30 pm

I found the following July forecast for Dec-Feb on page 1 of this topic:

0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#9999 Postby dhweather » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:27 pm

TheProfessor wrote:If the cold front continued into the summer, wouldn't that extend the period of large hailstorms in the southern plains?

I don't think so. Large hail is usually correlated with extremely strong updrafts into a thunderstorm.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#10000 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:45 pm

wxman57 wrote:I found the following July forecast for Dec-Feb on page 1 of this topic:

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPBYsb7 CMAEBqcr.jpg:large[/img]

If that pans out that will be very impressive
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”