Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9961 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Hmmm, could be interesting. Except for a certain private sector meteorologist who likes to ride his bike! :D

-----

@BigJoeBastardi: Coldest last 10 days of March in 50 years may be on way.late start to growing season many places opens threat of shortest season in 50 yrs.

@BigJoeBastardi: Kiss of death for early spring..MJO into the super cold phases.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9962 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 pm

And so we begin the last page before we hit 500 for this winter. Wow!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#9963 Postby KatDaddy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Winter does not want to leave.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9964 Postby Ntxw » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:20 pm

Spring? Sun Angle? Nuh uh no way jose not with that -EPO dive. Maybe if you were in Asia or Europe. North America? Not so fast! ENS are getting colder!

Seen this movie before, did not copy and paste maps from earlier in the month!
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#9965 Postby wxman57 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:35 pm

A quite worthless weekend cycling-wise. No biking last weekend either. Fortunately DST will allow for some mid-week rides this week. Long range models indicate no summer this year, which appears to be a mixed blessing according to my avatar...
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9966 Postby Ntxw » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:17 pm

wxman57 wrote:A quite worthless weekend cycling-wise. No biking last weekend either. Fortunately DST will allow for some mid-week rides this week. Long range models indicate no summer this year, which appears to be a mixed blessing according to my avatar...

It looks good on you, the avatar. The jeckyll and hyde thing works! Btw check your pm I've got something I wanted to share :cheesy:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

katheria
Category 1
Category 1

#9967 Postby katheria » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Welp guess we were one of the lucky area's we got 2.39" of rain
0 likes   
just a guess.......take everything i say with a grain of salt.......check your local NWS for forecast information

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9968 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:10 pm

wxman57 wrote:A quite worthless weekend cycling-wise. No biking last weekend either. Fortunately DST will allow for some mid-week rides this week. Long range models indicate no summer this year, which appears to be a mixed blessing according to my avatar...

\

The year of bi-polar. The year of competing forecasts. The year of Wicked VS. Evil ( Once Upon A Time). The year of NCCU ( my alma mater making the big dance for the first time EVER). Will this be the year without a Summer. Will Wxman 57 get a 100 degree day this year? Will Porta get to take Champ The Charger out for a snow chase? This is much more will be decided in the upcoming months on the PWC Channel, your channel for news, weather and stuff....:)
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9969 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:30 pm

It looks like the next chance of rain for North Texas will be next weekend.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9970 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:34 pm

:uarrow: Looking 300 hours out the GSF has a lot of rain that is waisted on the gulf of Mexico
0 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9971 Postby dhweather » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:23 am

Temps didn't get nearly as cold as expected, only 37 here and at DFW. I was hoping we'd get freeze #56 and have a chance at cracking the top 5.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9972 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:14 am

35 right now at DFW. Made it down to 31 here in Denison/Sherman this morning.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9973 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55 am

Same drum that Ntxw has been beating.

@BigJoeBastardi: ECWMF MJO into phase 2/3 for first time in cold season message is lookout for last 10 days of March.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9974 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:58 am

And in line with Wxman 57's mention (yesterday, I believe) of no real summer weather for a while, Joe B just tweeted this:

@BigJoeBastardi: With each passing day, my concern about growing season around Great Lakes and a year without a summer for Ontario, perhaps great lakes grows.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#9975 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:02 am

Texas Snowman wrote:And in line with Wxman 57's mention (yesterday, I believe) of no real summer weather for a while, Joe B just tweeted this:

@BigJoeBastardi: With each passing day, my concern about growing season around Great Lakes and a year without a summer for Ontario, perhaps great lakes grows.

Yeah, the other day he (JB) was talking about his beloved Brazilian meteograms (which extend months ahead) and how they were showing snow for Ontario into June. Have no idea how accurate those tools are, but to see something like that would be pretty amazing.

Friends and family in the Great Lakes area have been telling me for awhile now that this winter has been one of the worst they've seen in decades.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9976 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:04 am

While this is far from Texas, if these ideas bear any fruit, perhaps we will have some unusual cold fronts visit Texas even into the beginning of summertime:

@BigJoeBastardi: Models used as tools to confirm or question ideas... In this case, and looking at JMA over next 3 months, things are not good near Grt Lakes.

@BigJoeBastardi: Worried about shortest growing season in 50 yrs around lakes.Braz.meteograms have snow:Toronto,Ottawa Montreal in Jun.

@BigJoeBastardi: These are never correct right on spot, but have given valuable hints to nature of overall pattern. Winter in Chicago/Toronto
examples.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9977 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:08 am

Porta, friend of mine in Michigan says he still has 2 1/2 feet of ice on his local lake.

If this is indeed a pattern that may continue, I would anticipate some untimely cold air intrusions into Texas in April and May, much like a year ago.

Could threaten the peach crop if there are some late frosts?
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9978 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 am

Ntxw, if El Niño returns this summer as you have been forecasting, unseasonable summertime fronts - should they occur - might enhance summer rainfall amounts in Texas?
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9979 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:19 am

If the cold front continued into the summer, wouldn't that extend the period of large hailstorms in the southern plains?
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9980 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 am

I haven't done my favorite and least favorite moments of the 2013-14 winter yet. So here goes:

Favorite (tie):
* Early December sleet storm and cold that kept ice on the ground and roadways around Denison for more than a week. The kids here missed FIVE schooldays in a row (and there were the non schoolday weekend days thrown into the middle of that mix too, so they would have missed SEVEN straight days). We had 2-3 inches out of this. I've seen two or three as big up here along the Red River, but NEVER one that lasted so long.
* The early March Storm with its thunder sleet and intense cold air mass.
* The total numbers of freezes, including another one this morning
* Seeing Wxman57 finally succumb to the inner Cold Miser side that we all knew/hoped he had. :D

Least Favorite (tie):

* Seeing our hero, Portastorm, be disappointed again in Austin.
* No real snow event across most of Texas (Toledo Bend area being an exception).
* Dallas not being able to really challenge its all time number of freezes.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”