Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#101 Postby Rgv20 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 am

How reliable is the Farmers' Almanac? :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#102 Postby Ntxw » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 am

So I was planning on putting out ideas and my thinking for winter by the end of Labor day weekend. Well I assure you there was much bickering due to some misinformation being spread around. The mets at the North Texas branch of PWC were confused as their data seemed conflicting, most likely due to one of wxman57's secret agents hacking into the system and throwing around some "high" numbers :double:. At the same time there were some "low" quotas that were sent out from scenic SW Austin (HQ-The powers that be) requiring no less than a fantastic winter. So I will continue to crunch numbers until a solution has been reached (or preferred no bias involved!), in the meantime the Farmer's Almanac posted above is brilliant! Might as well use that for keepsakes :cheesy:.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#103 Postby Portastorm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:11 am

Ntxw wrote:So I was planning on putting out ideas and my thinking for winter by the end of Labor day weekend. Well I assure you there was much bickering due to some misinformation being spread around. The mets at the North Texas branch of PWC were confused as their data seemed conflicting, most likely due to one of wxman57's secret agents hacking into the system and throwing around some "high" numbers :double:. At the same time there were some "low" quotas that were sent out from scenic SW Austin (HQ-The powers that be) requiring no less than a fantastic winter. So I will continue to crunch numbers until a solution has been reached (or preferred no bias involved!), in the meantime the Farmer's Almanac posted above is brilliant! Might as well use that for keepsakes :cheesy:.

The Portastorm Weather Center did issue a staff-wide edict earlier this summer that all meteorologists, including our energetic and impressive North Texas office (Ntxw), would re-dedicate themselves to better forecasts, less Grey Goose, and happier customers. We like seeing the above. Good work!

The PWC HQ will go on the record on 9/3/13 to say that the Texas Winter of 2013-14 will be better than last year in terms of wintry weather opportunities.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#104 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

Portastorm wrote:
Ntxw wrote:So I was planning on putting out ideas and my thinking for winter by the end of Labor day weekend. Well I assure you there was much bickering due to some misinformation being spread around. The mets at the North Texas branch of PWC were confused as their data seemed conflicting, most likely due to one of wxman57's secret agents hacking into the system and throwing around some "high" numbers :double:. At the same time there were some "low" quotas that were sent out from scenic SW Austin (HQ-The powers that be) requiring no less than a fantastic winter. So I will continue to crunch numbers until a solution has been reached (or preferred no bias involved!), in the meantime the Farmer's Almanac posted above is brilliant! Might as well use that for keepsakes :cheesy:.

The Portastorm Weather Center did issue a staff-wide edict earlier this summer that all meteorologists, including our energetic and impressive North Texas office (Ntxw), would re-dedicate themselves to better forecasts, less Grey Goose, and happier customers. We like seeing the above. Good work!

The PWC HQ will go on the record on 9/3/13 to say that the Texas Winter of 2013-14 will be better than last year in terms of wintry weather opportunities.

Umm, Can I send a truck load of Grey Goose to the North Texas and Central offices? Will that enhance our chances of wintery stuff? Please. :)
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#105 Postby Nikki » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:19 pm

I know this is the winter thread, but I thought I would share this over here too:

This is the number for Galveston County Mosquito Control............ 1-800-842-5622 just in case anyone is interested....the mosquitoes are horrible here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby ravyrn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 pm

I think the lowest year for ACE in the Atlantic basin is 1983, with 17. We're at around 8 right now and approaching the climax of the Hurricane season. If we make it out of this season with less ACE than 1983, I think it's only fair that we break its winter records also. Can I get an amen!?
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:32 pm

ravyrn wrote:I think the lowest year for ACE in the Atlantic basin is 1983, with 17. We're at around 8 right now and approaching the climax of the Hurricane season. If we make it out of this season with less ACE than 1983, I think it's only fair that we break its winter records also. Can I get an amen!?

1983 is the lowest in satellite era. There have been seasons with lower ACE, but those are dubious. 1983 was inactive despite the fact that the El Nino had died, but the atmosphere was feeling its affect. The West Pacific was also below normal, while East Pacific was hyperactive. It would be interesting if 2013 season was less active than 1983 in terms of ACE. 1983 was also during the cool phase of Atlantic, unlike 2013, which is warm phase.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 pm

ravyrn wrote:I think the lowest year for ACE in the Atlantic basin is 1983, with 17. We're at around 8 right now and approaching the climax of the Hurricane season. If we make it out of this season with less ACE than 1983, I think it's only fair that we break its winter records also. Can I get an amen!?

AMEN!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:36 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:

AMEN!

Testify and AMEN!!! Oh Wxman 57 will not like to read this. Ha ha ha.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#110 Postby Portastorm » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:38 am

Amen! And AMEN!!!
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#111 Postby dhweather » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Rgv20 wrote:How reliable is the Farmers' Almanac? :lol:

If it's gonna be cold, then it BETTER snow.

Given the godforsaken and persistent drought conditions, I would accept copious amounts of rain and temps barely above freezing.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#112 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:07 am

dhweather wrote:
Rgv20 wrote:How reliable is the Farmers' Almanac? :lol:

If it's gonna be cold, then it BETTER snow.

Given the godforsaken and persistent drought conditions, I would accept copious amounts of rain and temps barely above freezing.
Your first statement is spot on!!
However, I must vociferously disagree with your 2nd statement!!! If it is going to be that cold then it darn well better snow, so I say I would accept copious rains with temps below freezing at all levels so it will snow. :cheesy:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Dave
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#113 Postby Dave » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:58 pm

I'll be more than happy to share all the snow I get up here in the "biting cold & snowy region" this winter..in fact if you want you can have it all. ;) *biting cold means when you walk out the door your instantly frozen*
0 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby dhweather » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:48 pm

Can we get a clarification from them on the difference between biting cold and piercing cold?
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#115 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

And I'll be beyond tickled pink to add to Dave's offer and share all the *piercing* cold I'll be getting up in the *piercing cold with normal :D snowfall*!!!

We will send peeps down to chip and dig you folks out come spring!!! :cheesy:

p.s. Mom always said be careful what you ask for! :lol:
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#116 Postby Kalrany » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:40 pm

dhweather wrote:Can we get a clarification from them on the difference between biting cold and piercing cold?

Piercing cold stabbs your lungs and heart when you open the door and breath.

Biting cold starts gnawing on your toes once you step outside.

:)
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

SaskatchewanScreamer

#117 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Kalrany wrote:
dhweather wrote:Can we get a clarification from them on the difference between biting cold and piercing cold?

Piercing cold stabbs your lungs and heart when you open the door and breath.

Biting cold starts gnawing on your toes once you step outside.

:)

0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#118 Postby Kalrany » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 am

:uarrow:
breathtaking pitcure. in both senses.....
i miss the northern snows.
where is this lovely tundra?
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SaskatchewanScreamer

#119 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am

Kalrany wrote::uarrow:
breathtaking pitcure. in both senses.....
i miss the northern snows.
where is this lovely tundra?

:lol: :crying:

Near Regina, SK (not that far away from here).

p.s. the orange in the pic does NOT mean warmth....it is only a cruel heartless tease.
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#120 Postby Kalrany » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 am

Cool. That would be along the route if we would be starting in Michigan for our someday-futer road trip on the Al-Can. :) SOMEday. We want to do a long trip up to Denali..... We are into photograhpy, and my hubby likes camping, so we have that as a one-day goal...

It will be on the possible stops list. Thanks!

PS: trade you some gulf coast humidity for some biting cold?
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”