Oklahoma Winter Weather 2013/2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Oklahoma Winter Weather 2013/2014

#1 Postby jporterOCCC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:30 pm

I know it's early but with all the crazy weather Oklahoma gas gotten this year what is everyone's thoughts on the winter precip this year.
0 likes   

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Oklahoma Winter Weather 2013/2014

#2 Postby jporterOCCC » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 pm

I haven't ha time to look at long range models and discussions on this winters weather but let's hope for a blizzard it two or three like the one in 2009.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 pm

First fall front coming in tonight. High's in the low 70's, low's in the upper 40's. :D
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby TwisterFanatic » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Looks like our first real taste of winter in coming Monday night. Big front coming in that will drop highs in to the upper 30's and low to mid 40's with lows in the upper teens and low 20's. Temperatures will generally moderate back to about 60 by the weekend with rain chance returning

Longer range GFS and EURO is showing a potentially bigger cold blast just outside the 7 day time frame.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#5 Postby Meteorcane » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 pm

TwisterFanatic wrote:Looks like our first real taste of winter in coming Monday night. Big front coming in that will drop highs in to the upper 30's and low to mid 40's with lows in the upper teens and low 20's. Temperatures will generally moderate back to about 60 by the weekend with rain chance returning

Longer range GFS and EURO is showing a potentially bigger cold blast just outside the 7 day time frame.

Yeah saw that cold blast in the extended, I have a gut feeling this might be a cooler winter than normal, hopefully we will have sufficient moisture to get some good winter precip though, which is often the issue here.
0 likes   

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby jporterOCCC » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:05 am

Not exactly sure what this weekend will bring. Whatever it is I am pretty sure there won't be much accumulation since the ground temps are well above freezing.

For the winter season I think it's going to be cooler and wetter than normal. Let's hope that means another blizzard like the one in 2009 or last year up in the northwest part of OK.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Re:

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:30 am

Meteorcane wrote:
TwisterFanatic wrote:Looks like our first real taste of winter in coming Monday night. Big front coming in that will drop highs in to the upper 30's and low to mid 40's with lows in the upper teens and low 20's. Temperatures will generally moderate back to about 60 by the weekend with rain chance returning

Yeah saw that cold blast in the extended, I have a gut feeling this might be a cooler winter than normal, hopefully we will have sufficient moisture to get some good winter precip though, which is often the issue here.

We need to arrange a swap, moisture for temps. Our problem in SE TX is we usually don't have the temps to get the winter precip out of the moisture we have available. :cheesy:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby TwisterFanatic » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Interesting model stuff.

GFS keeping winter precip way up north in Nebraska/SD.

EURO brings winter precip into Texas Panhandle and all of OK, excluding SE Oklahoma.

Will be watching to see who wins out.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby TwisterFanatic » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Local forecast from the NWS has introduced wintery precip starting Saturday and continuing off and on until at least Monday, a cold shallow arctic air mass will settle in on Friday.
0 likes   

BlueIce
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#10 Postby BlueIce » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm

TwisterFanatic wrote:Local forecast from the NWS has introduced wintery precip starting Saturday and continuing off and on until at least Monday, a cold shallow arctic air mass will settle in on Friday.

It's been the topic of discussion at the office today. Could have some big implications on Saturday football for both state teams!
0 likes   

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#11 Postby jporterOCCC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 pm

Currently the weather models are updating but I don't think there will be much change. I see the far NW of Oklahoma getting some snow accumulation and the farther SE you go the snow turning to wintery mix and to rain with no accumulations.

Ground temps are still above freezing but if we do get rain and it's cold enough and the rain lasts for a prolong time I could see some slight accumulations even as far south as the I40 Corridor. No matter what though this will not be a major winter event where I see school closings.
0 likes   

ouamber
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#12 Postby ouamber » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:54 am

It's nice to be just talking about winter! The last 2 years have been boring to say the least! I'm more interested in the storm Monday/Tuesday. Looks like it is getting more strength.
0 likes   

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13 Postby jporterOCCC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:38 am

Yea I am praying for a ton of snow and ice this year not just in NW OK.

I haven't even started to look at that system but will tomorrow.
0 likes   

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#14 Postby jporterOCCC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Well its no surprise that the weather models are not agreeing but I am think there will be mainly snow in the NW part of OK and the I44 corridor will see mostly sleet and ice. and the SE will see rain.

Tomorrows model runs should start coming more into alignment and we will be able to tell in greater detail what should happen.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#15 Postby Meteorcane » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:57 am

Yep looks like freezing rain/drizzle for the southern half of the state from very late tonight until possibly Saturday morning. Then depending on temp profiles could get more wintry precip thanks to cut off upper low in the desert sw (approaching around Sunday). This is my first fall/winter in oklahoma I am wondering if these kind of events are normal (in November)?
0 likes   

ouamber
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#16 Postby ouamber » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:36 am

Meteorcane...NO! These are not normal for November!! The last time I remember one was back in 1993, Thanksgiving Day, there was a winter storm/ice storm similar to this one. I will never forget it because of the Dallas Cowboys football game..the Leon Lett play...will never leave my mind. I lived in Southern OK near Ardmore, and we were pounded with an ice storm.

Currently I live in Tulsa, so I'm hoping the low pressure center starts moving due east instead of SE when it's gets to moving on Sunday-Tuesday. This will allow for the main area of snow/sleet to move across the central-N-E of the state..but we'll see.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Meteorcane wrote:Yep looks like freezing rain/drizzle for the southern half of the state from very late tonight until possibly Saturday morning. Then depending on temp profiles could get more wintry precip thanks to cut off upper low in the desert sw (approaching around Sunday). This is my first fall/winter in oklahoma I am wondering if these kind of events are normal (in November)?

Not really, most of our Wintery precip comes in Dec-Feb.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby TwisterFanatic » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:48 pm

ICE is starting to accumulate in the OKC metro area
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#19 Postby Meteorcane » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Some decent freezing rain here in Norman, roads are not too bad (they were warm enough) but most of the vegetation has a relatively thin coating of ice (my vehicle was completely iced over). I think a good portion of Ok will see snow on Sunday/early Monday in association with upper low.
0 likes   

ouamber
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#20 Postby ouamber » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:27 pm

On and off showers of freezing rain/sleet here on the north side of Tulsa. This wasn't really expected for this far east and certainly not in the frozen type. The million dollar question is what direction is the UL going to go...even traveling 50-100 miles north..and that puts OKC and Tulsa in an all out snowstorm for Sunday/Monday.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”