Oklahoma Winter Weather 2013/2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Oklahoma Winter Weather 2013/2014

#181 Postby Meteorcane » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:40 am

Getting some moderate snow here in central ok southcentral oklahoma appears to be getting some solid amounts based on radar returns
0 likes   

ouamber
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#182 Postby ouamber » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:07 am

Been snowing moderately flakes here in southern Tulsa for the past 2 hours!! Overperforming big time!
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#183 Postby Meteorcane » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:25 pm

The snow (for this round has ended) now, got about 3-4 inches not bad, our second significant snowfall of the winter (other event was in early December, although we have had a few dustings/FZRA/sleet events). The next Monday/Tuesday event looks to mainly affect areas that did not see much precip today (i.e. Northern Oklahoma), for those of us in the Central/Southern parts of the state what type of precip we get is still up in the air. Due to the snow cover, and little warming tomorrow I think we stay right around freezing for the Tuesday event, and most of the precip. will be snow (the upper levels are cold enough that it will most likely either be a cold rain, or snow). A lot of model waffling at the moment with the later week system, so I won't worry too much about it until after the Tuesday event. In other news, it will be very cold Wednesday-Friday, highs in the 20's for most of the state, with a chance on Wed.night to see more single digit lows, a very cold start to Februrary.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#184 Postby TwisterFanatic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:31 pm

A little over 5 inches here with the final band coming through within the next 30 minutes or so, it could drop another 1 inch or so as it has picked up in intensity in the past hour.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

arizona_sooner
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#185 Postby arizona_sooner » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Well the overperforming system certainly bit me in the ass. My flight sat on the runway in Tulsa for 2.5 hours while all the snow was coming down. We had to be de-iced twice and I ended up missing my connection in Houston. So I am stuck at the airport Doubletree and won't get to Trinidad until 7pm tomorrow.

One freaking snow day and it hits just at the wrong time. :(
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#186 Postby Meteorcane » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 pm

Very tight gradient in snowfall today, a difficult forecast that was actually not that bad imo. Those areas that missed out on today will have a good chance to see snowfall on Tuesday though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#187 Postby Meteorcane » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 am

Could this be winter's last gasp? (average temperature of 20F for 8 days would be pretty ridiculous 22deg below average)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#188 Postby TwisterFanatic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Tulsa NWS trending more snowfall, less Ice with late tonight/tomorrow's system. Upped the snow total area wide.. I'm now under 2-4 inches of snow instead of .2 inches of Ice and 1 inch of snow.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#189 Postby Meteorcane » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Unfortunately we ended up in the dry slot for most of the precip today. Picked up some ice this morning (which actually helped melt the snow from a few days ago), and had some very small (mainly needle-habit) flurries after the early ice. Oh well, the Sunday system dropped more here than expected so I can't complain too much. A couple more opportunities to see snow across much the state this week Thursday probably being the best chance, although at this point I don't think there will be major accumulations, but we may not see seasonal temperatures for another 10 days or so, in fact average temps could be 30 degrees below normal for the next couple days.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#190 Postby TwisterFanatic » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Winter Weather Advisories out for I-40 and south across the entire state, could see another 2 inches of snow tomorrow.

GFS teasing another big Winter Storm for next week.. 12z GFS has a very big 6+ inch snowfall across much of the state.

Regardless, it is very cold across the entire state.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#191 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:19 am

Snow is getting closer to OKC and is filling in, read earlier the ratio for tonight is like 25:1. Wouldn't take much to get 2-3 inches out of this.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#192 Postby Meteorcane » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:31 am

TwisterFanatic wrote:Snow is getting closer to OKC and is filling in, read earlier the ratio for tonight is like 25:1. Wouldn't take much to get 2-3 inches out of this.

Yeah based on the temperature profile (unusually cold for this part of the country), there should be some very high Snow-liquid ratios (especially for this part of the country) I think some people might be surprised if they only look at model QPF, and use the 10:1 standard ratio.

On that note, I usually don't get too excited for 5+ day model forecasts but the GFS is showing a significant system early next week (tuesdayish) which at this points sets up almost perfectly (warm-conveyor belt setup, PVA at 500) for a lot of southern Oklahoma to get some high snowfall accumulations (5+ inches).
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#193 Postby TwisterFanatic » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 am

Meteorcane wrote:
TwisterFanatic wrote:Snow is getting closer to OKC and is filling in, read earlier the ratio for tonight is like 25:1. Wouldn't take much to get 2-3 inches out of this.

Yeah based on the temperature profile (unusually cold for this part of the country), there should be some very high Snow-liquid ratios (especially for this part of the country) I think some people might be surprised if they only look at model QPF, and use the 10:1 standard ratio.

On that note, I usually don't get too excited for 5+ day model forecasts but the GFS is showing a significant system early next week (tuesdayish) which at this points sets up almost perfectly (warm-conveyor belt setup, PVA at 500) for a lot of southern Oklahoma to get some high snowfall accumulations (5+ inches).

Yep. NWS is picking up on it, showing elevated threat for significant snowfall.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#194 Postby Meteorcane » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:50 am

Tuesday system still looks interesting for OK, the exact location of the primary precipitation axis still looks a little fuzzy, however right now eastern OK and Arkansas look to be in the most favorable position for significant snowfall. The sounding profiles there look great for snow, saturated mid-lower troposphere with a thick dendritic growth zone. On the dynamic side this area will be receiving moderate WAA, and CVA. All these make for the potential for a high snowfall event.

On a more general note, we will probably make it above freezing today in Norman for the first time since Tuesday (even then we got to only 33-34 degrees), and have been below freezing 155 out of a possible 168 hours this past week, and through 7 days in February OKC's average temperature has been 17.1 degrees below normal. While, it looks like (thankfully) more seasonal temperatures are coming after the Monday-Tuesday event, it will take a very warm end of the month to get us anywhere close to average. Also for kicks last year's average high the first 7 days of February was 61 degrees this year that average is 30 degrees, a remarkable annual variation.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#195 Postby TwisterFanatic » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:59 pm

We probably would have gotten above freezing, but 3 inches of snow last night is keeping temps down.. I wasn't expecting it to come down so fast, I nearly ended up in a ditch on the way home.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#196 Postby Meteorcane » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Currently the models are showing a decent amount of snow during the day tomorrow for northern OK, and some mixed precip for southern OK, with better snow chances for southern OK starting tomorrow night. Unfortunately for those of us in Central OK we kind of get wedged between the two events, and might miss out on any significant snowfall.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#197 Postby Meteorcane » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Anyone ready for some FZRA/sleet this Sunday?
0 likes   

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#198 Postby jporterOCCC » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:05 pm

I am not. I have to be out in it all day and I don't feel well.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#199 Postby Meteorcane » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Getting some thunder-sleet right now coming down decently heavy, and there is still more on the way!.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”