Oklahoma Winter Weather 2013/2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Oklahoma Winter Weather 2013/2014

#141 Postby Meteorcane » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah cyclone we felt a small tremor from that quake here in Norman, surprised me a bit to say the least.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#142 Postby TwisterFanatic » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm still stuck at home, very little melting going on.

I found the biggest icicle on the side of my house I've ever seen. I was 5'4" and was 5 inches around.

I also fell on the ice and gave myself a concussion. :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#143 Postby Meteorcane » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm

TwisterFanatic wrote:I'm still stuck at home, very little melting going on.

I found the biggest icicle on the side of my house I've ever seen. I was 5'4" and was 5 inches around.

I also fell on the ice and gave myself a concussion. :lol:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is more or less our problem Twister, the areas which didn't receive much accumulations (and stayed out of the cloud cover today were finally able to get above freezing, but the bulk of the state has been below freezing 3-4 days at this point, and will not get above freezing until Tuesday (and even then it will probably be for only a few hours.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby TwisterFanatic » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Saw the sun was out and said to myself: "Finally, some warming up"

It's 26. :lol:
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#145 Postby jporterOCCC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:49 pm

There's a rumor of another storm close to Christmas. Anyone else seeing this or has some insight.
0 likes   

ouamber
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#146 Postby ouamber » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:06 am

I haven't heard whether or not there will be a "storm" around Christmas, but I have heard it's going to be flipping cold!
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#147 Postby Meteorcane » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Looks like about 8-10 days is our next chance for significant winter weather (although that is quite far out, so any exact precipitation amounts/types are up in the air)
0 likes   

ouamber
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#148 Postby ouamber » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:07 am

If you would love 3 days of constant sleet/freezing rain and snow, then you are gonna LOVE the OOZ GFS!!! God help us if we had that much sleet and freezing rain!!!
0 likes   

jporterOCCC
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#149 Postby jporterOCCC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:12 am

As long as I have my truck then I can handle all the snow and ice Mother Nature wants to bring. It just sucks because every mature storm I at work and don't get to play.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#150 Postby TwisterFanatic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:16 am

NWS in Tulsa advertising a potential Winter Storm for next weekend, although nothing is set in stone at all. Temps, Precip type, storm track all still way up in the air.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#151 Postby TwisterFanatic » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:17 am

NWS in Tulsa advertising a potential Winter Storm for next weekend, although nothing is set in stone at all. Temps, Precip type, storm track all still way up in the air.
0 likes   

BlueIce
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#152 Postby BlueIce » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:00 am

I really don't think this next system is going to be anything to spectacular. The temps look way too high for anything to cause travel problems in the OKC metro area.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#153 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:33 am

BlueIce wrote:I really don't think this next system is going to be anything to spectacular. The temps look way too high for anything to cause travel problems in the OKC metro area.

Interesting to hear that. I've seen at least a couple of models painting a much different picture. Of course it could be that OKC is on the Southern end of it. Possibility of a 12h major icing event along the I-44 corridor Saturday afternoon and evening according to Jeff Piotrowski, a chaser from that area.
I have good friends heading to Tulsa tomorrow so I am trying to keep them posted on the weather that way. Please post any verifiable updates for that area.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#154 Postby Meteorcane » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:19 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
BlueIce wrote:I really don't think this next system is going to be anything to spectacular. The temps look way too high for anything to cause travel problems in the OKC metro area.

Interesting to hear that. I've seen at least a couple of models painting a much different picture. Of course it could be that OKC is on the Southern end of it. Possibility of a 12h major icing event along the I-44 corridor Saturday afternoon and evening according to Jeff Piotrowski, a chaser from that area.
I have good friends heading to Tulsa tomorrow so I am trying to keep them posted on the weather that way. Please post any verifiable updates for that area.

Yep models seemed to have busted significantly on temperatures, and what at first appeared to be primarily a rain threat, with some potential for winter weather late saturday, has turned into a decent ice storm potential for areas north of OKC, and some significant snowfall for the North Central and Northwestern parts of the state late Saturday and early Sunday.
0 likes   

BlueIce
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#155 Postby BlueIce » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:43 pm

You are exactly right the model runs completely missed this nose of cold air. The projected high today was supposed to be 36 and it hasn't made it above 30 degrees in OKC. News 9 in OKC is calling for 1" of ice accumulation all along the I-44 corridor. This could be a major problem for OKC and Tulsa with widespread power outages if this forecast verifies.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby TwisterFanatic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Ice Storm warning out for alot of Oklahoma.

I feel they may drop those Warning further south if things keep playing out.

Forecast low overnight tonight for my town was 38, and it's 35 right now and freezing line is making it ways through my county.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby TwisterFanatic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Looking at the latest models, they still can't get a handle on what is happening with temps. 18z NAM has temps rising into the 40's this evening in Tulsa. lol
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#158 Postby WeatherGuesser » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Imagine the havoc this might create if it shuts down a dozen or more airports like the last one did.
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby TwisterFanatic » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Ice Storm Warnings dropped south over the past hour. Now just one county away from me, I'm expecting be under one by 10PM. Temps are sitting at 33 right now.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#160 Postby Meteorcane » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Currently getting a wintry mix with temps in upper 20s here in norman needless to say the models did not handle this well
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”