Winter Storm Atlas is Named

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Winter Storm Atlas is Named

#1 Postby StormingB81 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:14 pm

May only be October but the first winter storm of the year has been names..Say Hello to Atlas...Cant believe it is ONLY October 2 and yet we are starting the naming of winter storms...Wonder if it is going to be a long winter. Winter Storm Atlas is poised to bring heavy snow to the northern Rockies, some snow even at lower elevations, and perhaps the season's first snow to parts of the Northern Plains.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Winter Storms are not named.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#3 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:56 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:Winter Storms are not named.

it's a TWC thing and its incorrect because the NWS doesn't name them
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Rapid City, SD set their all-time snowfall record for October 4. Atlas was their second biggest snowstorm/blizzard on record, dropping 23.1 inches in downtown.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Winter Storm Atlas is Named

#5 Postby ravyrn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Here's a few photos my friends at Ellsworth AFB shared with me on facebook. They were without power for 24 hours. The base is shut down basically and they are road condition red with only mission essential allowed to drive.

0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#6 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 pm

TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote: Atlas was their ....

Unless it comes from an official body such as the National Weather Service, storms don't have names.
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#7 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:09 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:
TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote: Atlas was their ....

Unless it comes from an official body such as the National Weather Service, storms don't have names.

Sure they do, The Weather Channel names them. I would prefer the National Weather Service or Weather Prediction Center to name the systems themselves, but TWC has enough of an influence across the continental United States to make it work.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Let's keep the discussion about the storm and its effects and not about whether we think Winter storms should be named or not.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

SaskatchewanScreamer

#9 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:56 am

In case some didn't see just how deadly Atlas was......tens of thousands of cattle died. They will run and run until they can't run any more. This horror truly deserves something to remember it by.

Warning graphic pics! They are public domain...the ranchers want people to know just how bad that storm really was!

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/tens-of-thousands-of-cattle-killed-in-friday-s-blizzard/article_558ef3ed-e941-5054-bc6b-115e04e10886.html#.UlYOGlk1WhI.facebook
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby ravyrn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Yeah, I had read about the cattle deaths just a little while ago and was going to share, but no need to now. Yeah that's pretty tragic and those pics are heartbreaking. As the grandson of a cattleman and a friend of many in the industry in the four-corners area, I'm really shocked these ranchers didn't take better measures to protect the safety of their herds. Not to downplay the severity of the storm, and I'm certainly not saying all cattle loss could have been prevented, but such large losses I think could have been at least mitigated somewhat with preparation by the cattlemen. Those figures of cattle deaths is pretty devastating.

On the lighter side of things related to this storm, here's a pic of where my friend's dog at the AFB decided to hang out at.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”